Rising Lords - spiritual successor to Lords of the Realm, maybe?

Started by Syt, May 26, 2020, 11:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://store.steampowered.com/app/835650/Rising_Lords/

Launching in Early Access tomorrow. Saw some gameplay on the weekend, and it looked interesting.

QuoteRising Lords is a medieval turn-based strategy game with card and board game elements. Send your serfs to fight and die in your name... or let them prosper, and use them to your advantage!

Collect taxes and resources. Dictate rations and field work. Forge weapons, reshape the battlefield, raise armies, and build mighty fortified cities. Help your people become knights, or dump them on a battlefield far away, but be careful: even the most humble peasants will revolt eventually...

In addition to its campaign mode, Rising Lords features robust multiplayer functionality. Play a quick game, or settle in for an evening or more. Play mind games with your friends with Rising Lords' special figures and spread false infos. Let them pay for their insolence in questioning your right to rule!

Features
● Find the perfect balance - juggle production, resource gathering, diplomacy and treason, tax and rations - all vital in the success of your provinces
● Deep tactics - Use counters to troop types, morale, terrain and cards to get the upper hand even against seemingly impossible odds
● Strategic battles - besiege your enemy's cities to starve them out, go all-out attack, or wait for them to come to you
● Up to 4-player simultaneous multiplayer - no need to wait for each individual player to take their turn
● The psychology of war - Play mind games by spreading false informations and use figures to pester your opponents
● Subtle variables - Morale, terrain and fortifications have a huge impact on battle, and the tide can turn quickly
● Customisation - Tailor your leader's look and skills, and craft your perfect cities and troops
● Risks and opportunities - React to figures that visit your province. Find ways to take advantage, and work quickly to eliminate threats!
● Take your pick - React to 50 different events and collect unique cards to surprise your enemy! 

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

I love the art style. Hopefully the mechanics stand up to multiplayer kicking.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

PDH

Since this is the year of Covid, High level Dorsey Idiocy, and probable job cuts, I am prepared to be disappointed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

The Brain

Those burly mustachioed women with scythes make me both uncomfortable and aroused.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

He will claim the enemy makes too large of stacks and it makes the game unplayable.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Tamas

Quote from: PDH on May 28, 2020, 12:20:17 PM
He will claim the enemy makes too large of stacks and it makes the game unplayable.

:lol:

I have only played a few minutes of it so far. Felt too "standard", if it makes sense, to excite me.

Habbaku

Dang. Ah, well. Will wait for more updates. I try not to get too excited/dispirited about Early Access games anyway.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I figured I'd support the guy while I wait for it to be ironed out more, so I am not refunding.