News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brewing thread

Started by merithyn, May 16, 2020, 01:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Threviel on November 07, 2020, 07:08:07 AM
My first beer (the Belgian triple Christmas beer) is carbonating (perhaps nicely, perhaps a failure) in bottles. I happened upon a crate of German flip-top 50 cl beer bottles and there was just enough beer to fill them all up. It's quite a turbid beer, I had problems siphoning and stirred up some yeast. I have my 40th birthday coming up in two weeks, I think I'm going to drink the first one then.

Today I'm brewing a dubbelbock, a dark and strong German beer. I'm thinking of it as an Easter beer and am calling it Påskator (påsk being Swedish for easter). I have two crates of danish beer bottles waiting to be returned to Denmark, they've been on my attic for 10 yers or so so I thought I'd use them as bottles. I'll have to thoroughly clean hem out and buy a bottle-cap-machintethingy to put on bottle caps. I did put a tap on my fermentation vat so hopefully the bottling will be easier.

My plan is to brew five beers in total, after this a Belgian blonde, a dubbel and then I'll try to copy Kwak. If the five beers become a success I'll continue and build myself a brewers corner in the garage and fix better equipment.

Hey, Threival, how did your Easter beer turn out? And are you still brewing?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Okay. Adventures in kegging has begun!

I made two beers that are right now sitting in two kegs: a peach wheat and a molasses robust porter. While I wait for my air distributor, I'm only carbonating the peach wheat which will be ready to drink early next week.

I'm also looking to set up a keezer with four taps which means that I need names for my beer.

So, given the above.... what should I name my peach wheat and my molasses robust porter? I'm also going to be making an all-grain pale ale this coming week.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Miss Meri's Twin Peaches
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 25, 2021, 12:12:41 PM
Peach Buzz

Oh, I like that....

E suggested Princess Peach.  :yuk:

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on June 25, 2021, 11:16:01 AM
Miss Meri's Twin Peaches

The brew label is Silver Brock, so not sure that would flow as well: Silver Brock Twin Peaches. :hmm:

HVC

Peachy keen... ya in bad at this hah
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Quote from: merithyn on June 25, 2021, 02:32:13 PM
Miss Meri's Twin Peaches

The brew label is Silver Brock, so not sure that would flow as well: Silver Brock Twin Peaches. :hmm:

As long as a nice lady is holding them in front of her all is good.  It could be the Hooters of Beer.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on June 25, 2021, 03:01:47 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 25, 2021, 02:32:13 PM
Miss Meri's Twin Peaches

As long as a nice lady is holding in front of her all is good.  It could be the Hooters of Beer.

<_<

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Threviel

Quote from: merithyn on April 25, 2021, 09:57:40 AM

Whoops, missed this. I've been working from home since Christmas so I haven't been able to buy ingredients, otherwise I would be brewing.

My latest brews were a Belgian Double and an Irish Red Ale. I ordered the ingredients over phone and the taste did not turn out as I wanted, some misunderstanding with the store. Technically they were somewhat of a success, clear, good carbonation and no infections. I use my sous vide circulator to keep the temperature and I dropped it into the pot during brewing, so temperature control went a bit haywire.

The easter beer turned out very nice, I stored some to try next year. A mistake I made was to put in the yeast when it was too hot so I killed it, but I bought some new the next day. Unfortunately my shop was out of the proper yeast so I had to replace it with some english ale yeast, turned out good anyway. I've also brewed a Patersbier (Belgian beer style regular table beer, not very strong. It's what the monks drink.) and a Kwak-clone, both turned out very nice indeed.

I feel like I have progressed technically for every beer, I've stated using Irish Moss and I've gotten some routine with bottling and storing and timing. I had great plans for nice summer and autumn beers (saisons, Belgian blondes, some light english ale) but I feel that the best I can do is a few Christmas/winters beers in August perhaps. I will do a new Belgian triple with my brother in law and perhaps a Quadrupel myself.

merithyn

Quote from: Threviel on June 27, 2021, 03:03:17 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 25, 2021, 09:57:40 AM

Whoops, missed this. I've been working from home since Christmas so I haven't been able to buy ingredients, otherwise I would be brewing.

My latest brews were a Belgian Double and an Irish Red Ale. I ordered the ingredients over phone and the taste did not turn out as I wanted, some misunderstanding with the store. Technically they were somewhat of a success, clear, good carbonation and no infections. I use my sous vide circulator to keep the temperature and I dropped it into the pot during brewing, so temperature control went a bit haywire.

The easter beer turned out very nice, I stored some to try next year. A mistake I made was to put in the yeast when it was too hot so I killed it, but I bought some new the next day. Unfortunately my shop was out of the proper yeast so I had to replace it with some english ale yeast, turned out good anyway. I've also brewed a Patersbier (Belgian beer style regular table beer, not very strong. It's what the monks drink.) and a Kwak-clone, both turned out very nice indeed.

I feel like I have progressed technically for every beer, I've stated using Irish Moss and I've gotten some routine with bottling and storing and timing. I had great plans for nice summer and autumn beers (saisons, Belgian blondes, some light english ale) but I feel that the best I can do is a few Christmas/winters beers in August perhaps. I will do a new Belgian triple with my brother in law and perhaps a Quadrupel myself.

Oh! A Belgian triple, you say! Care to share the recipe?? :D

Jacob

Suggestions:

A Real Peach
Impeach 45
Peach Perfect
Forever Hold Your Peach
War and Peach
Peachnik
Peach To Their Own
Son of a Peacherman
The Peacharound
Soft Round Peaches
Peach 100
Peachure This

Threviel

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 12,00 l
Boil Size: 21,83 l
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 16,46 l
Final Bottling Vol: 10,30 l
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

3,50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3,7 EBC) Grain 1 81,4 %
0,30 kg Melanoiden Malt (70,0 EBC) Grain 2 7,0 %
0,30 kg Special B Malt (300,0 EBC) Grain 3 7,0 %
0,20 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3,9 EBC) Grain 4 4,7 %
40,00 g Styrian Goldings [2,90 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 5 17,8 IBUs
40,00 g Styrian Goldings [2,90 %] - Boil 15,0 min Hop 6 8,8 IBUs
40,00 g Styrian Goldings [2,90 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 8 3,5 IBUs
1,0 pkg Belgian Ale Yeast (Mangroves Jacks #M41) [124,21 ml] Yeast 10

Est Original Gravity: 1,075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1,022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7,1 %
Bitterness: 30,2 IBUs
Est Color: 32,6 EBC

Mash Name: BIAB, Full Body
Sparge Water: 0,00 l
Sparge Temperature: 75,6 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE

Saccharification Add 24,46 l of water at 73,1 C 68,9 C 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 75,6 C over 7 min 75,6 C 10 min
Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Mash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are
withdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a full body beer profile.

This was my christmas beer, IIRC a Belgian triple. I don't think I will do the next very much different, the taste was excellent but the skill was lacking.