The Fall of Languish a (heavily modded) Rimworld AAR

Started by Razgovory, May 10, 2020, 12:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

How I died and then got arrested: part 2

We had a strange event where a walking mountain-crab stumbled into our base.  It's like a hermit crab but instead of using the shells of other aquatic animals it uses a mountain.  It wasn't hostile but did manage to crush one of our geothermal stations.  We killed it by having garbon light it on fire (garbon has really become my go-to guy in this).  I mentioned much earlier that some assholes built a castle in the south.  These guys are permanently hostile so we decided to just wipe them out.  I had never attacked a castle before so I kind of wanted to see what would happen.

The castle looked pretty neat, though we didn't understand how it worked exactly.  Some of the walls were all about waist-high and some were fully blocked a person.  That wasn't immediately evident from look at it.  We also found a lung floating in a pool of water!  This was an important find because several of our colonists have lost lungs as a result of injuries.  Well it would have been important but the lung dissolved in the water before we could fish it out. 

There was one item of note:  Liep's husband was one of the the enemy knights.  We managed to capture him and eventually turn him to our side.  I renamed him Lettow so now Lettow in a member of the colony.  The battle for the castle was difficult and I really thought I would lose everyone, but only Berkut was killed.

While Berkut was killed by an enemy arrow, he was also shot by Mongers.  That's pretty common in Languish.  In the Summer we faced twin perils,  bad space robots and a by bunch of insane guinea pigs.

The robots landed pretty close the middle of our base and managed to kill Timmay.  The guinea pigs weren't really much of a problem.  So little of a problem in fact, that I lost track of them.

We've had a quite few deaths, but on the plus side Solmyr and Grumbler are now an item.  I bet you didn't see that one coming!  One of the reasons we lose people is that everyone is scattered across the map most of the time.  While I've moved everyone's quarters inside the mountain, the farms are still out side.  So as soon as we are attacked I have to send everyone running back to base.  They don't always get back fast enough.  The next raid is good example of this, tribal warrior (think these guys are more dangerous than guys with guns), attacked from several directions and managed to run down Ulmont and shot him the back with arrows.

A more serious problem occurred when therevel shot me in the back of the fucking head, instantly killing me!  I was right to be paranoid.  I honestly cant' understand this betrayal of your benevolentish overlord.

As luck would have it, I actually had a remedy. I had been sending out scavenging teams on a regular basis.  I would send out a group of people out side of my base, they would "Settle" in a new spot, find what ever useful loot they could and then abandon the settlement.  The last time they found a serum that resurrects the dead.  garbon immediately ran back to base, grabbed the serum, and saved me!  There were a few things I didn't anticipate:  When I died, my titles went to Leip, and so when I cam back to life they stayed with Leip.  I also lost my psychic powers (and a mental illness).  I still have my plasma sword, but because it was bounded to me psychically any time I used it the Empire would find out and this would sour relations.  I also couldn't give the damn thing away.  To keep using the sword I need surgery to "silence" the psychic sounds of the sword, but this created a permanent migraine, so I need another surgery to remove the pain.  Of course it removes all the pain, so I won't notice if I catch on fire or something.  So you know what?  Fuck it, I'm leaving.

Yeah, not so fast.  Nobody leaves Languish.  Not really.  So Leip ordered me arrested. Eventually I was released, but the message was clear.  We will all die here.  Or in my case, we keep dying here.

We had another attack by insects tunneling into the base and made another raid against those miserable tribal but for fortunately nobody died.  At some point MadmanImmortal lost his stomach for warfare.  So we built him a new bionic stomach!  We botched the surgery and had to build him a second bionic stomach so now he's on his third stomach.  We also made a rule that nobody can preform surgery while drunk or stoned.

Languish has since gotten a bit crowded with skeletons. Not the skeletons of colonists, no I have a tomb for that.  Skeletons of every asshole who attacks us. We were disposing corpses by burning them in piles of burning shit, but since we developed a sewage treatment plant we don't have anymore piles of burning shit.  The light of Languish has truly gone out.  So we built a a crematorium. and I found a new hobby.

Here I am on nice midnight cremating.  This is what qualifies as the "Lighter side" of the Languish.  The parts that don't include botched surgery or me getting shot in the head.  Otherwise, things are starting to get better.  We've moved everything we can underground.  The only things above ground are the oil wells, the geothermal and watermill plants (which I don't really need), the sewage treatment, and the the coolant system for the power plant.  The nuclear plant is now fully operational and we are experimenting with plutonium.

It would be nice if Dguller and PRC would put the radiation suits on while they pick at the Plutonium thingy, but I'm not a scientist.

I tried to do a whole year for this post, but that is way too much.  So I'm going to go back to smaller bites.  Next year we will be moving to normal difficulty so I expect a lot more attacks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I'm amused. :)

And your nuclear facilities look very nice. Are there any regulatory bodies or safety inspectors?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2020, 01:56:05 AM
Wait...how did Valmy die? :(

You aren't dead.  You are wearing a little yellow construction hat.  Look at the second smaller grouping of characters at the top of the screen.  You are the woman at the top left.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

I'm positively surprised that Languish Colony hasn't perished yet. Maybe there is hope for us all. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

That's a word I haven't heard in a long while (at least in the context of online behavior). :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

I'm enjoying this, it all makes so much more sense than the real world.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 01, 2020, 06:02:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2020, 01:56:05 AM
Wait...how did Valmy die? :(

You aren't dead.  You are wearing a little yellow construction hat.  Look at the second smaller grouping of characters at the top of the screen.  You are the woman at the top left.

Ah I didn't realize there was a second grouping of characters :cheers:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2020, 01:53:37 AM
I'm amused. :)

And your nuclear facilities look very nice. Are there any regulatory bodies or safety inspectors?

No, but I locked the door the to the reactor, and that's just as good.

daveracher

I died as I lived, lurking about in the background.
Birdman of Burlington

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: daveracher on June 02, 2020, 09:01:43 AM

It is kind of nice there is this unseen presence lurking over all of our discussions here on Languish.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2020, 01:17:51 PM
Quote from: daveracher on June 02, 2020, 09:01:43 AM

It is kind of nice there is this unseen presence lurking over all of our discussions here on Languish.

He's the only one who isn't a Jaron sockpuppet. This entire forum is just Jaron entertaining davearcher with his wacky characters.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!