The Fall of Languish a (heavily modded) Rimworld AAR

Started by Razgovory, May 10, 2020, 12:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Brain is not a farmer, he's a breeder of livestock.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

Razgovory

Part 2: or how I became a noble.

Tensions have risen among the people of Languish and we've had several fights and nervous breakdowns.  Valmy seems especially vulnerable since she fighting a pot addiction and withdrawal has made her especially touchy.  To alleviate the the stress we have Alfred Russel creating art.  Much of the art depicts everyday life in the colony, it's also completely bonkers such as Mono discovering batteries while a hundred clerics look on forming a triangle.

Like I said we have a lot of fighting.  Here is and example of a fight between DGuller and Malicious Intent.  I guess that is to be expected in a Languish colony, still starting a fight over stylishness see petty be even our standards.

We got an urgent message from a count that he was being chased by a chicken full of gasoline.  I don't know how we got the message, we don't have radios or phones but whatever.  Anyway, the only person to take this threat seriously was your truly.  While the chicken turned out to be real, it wasn't dangerous.  Still for my service to the Empire I was given the title of Esquire and granted psychic powers.  I would have shown you the picture with this but Imgur stopped working while I was writing this.

You remember that "Ancient Dangers" I told you about?  Well, because we had nothing better to do we opened up the Cryo sleep caskets.  Some of them had corpses, a few had giant scarabs, the rest had ancient spacemen/spacewomen.  Some of who attacked us and some of those were who were just injured.  I wanted to take the aggressive ones captive, but no dice. They there were beaten to death.  One expired due to a punch to a foot. I had hoped that the injured ones we captured would join our colony, but that didn't happened either.  When it was clear that wanted to just wander off they we stole their clothing.  Neil now has a new shiny suit of armor.

We receive a minor penalty with another faction when brought a caravan to trade only to attacked by a monster know as "Nightling".  No humans were killed, but they did lose a hamster that was accompanying them.  We ended up eating the hamster.  You can see the hamster in the following screent shot and one the things with a red "x" next to it.

We learned of a pristine ruin not far from our colony and sent out an expedition.  There were 16 of us.  We would have had seventeen but Berkut was busy verbally abusing people so we left him there.

We arrived at the abandoned  settlement alright and shot a few tribal who were there.  Timmay was especially excited about shooting a guy with a bow and arrow.

Then things went badly  The first problem was a rainstorm that somehow cause the abandoned base to catch on fire.  Because we were busy looting the place we sort of just ignored the fire resulting in Neil getting burned badly.

Then Baron von Schtinkenbutt (was he origianly called Von Moltke?  I forget.) decided to be anti social. So he just sort of wandered off.  We had to wait for him and more tribals and bandits attacked us in the ruins.  They eventually shot Von Schtinkenbutt with arrows and then kidnapped him. After that PHL had a psychotic break and he just sort of wandered around mumbling to himself.  We waited for him for a while but we were afraid that more of us would go nuts so we left without him.  We thought maybe he could just follow us back home after his little bit of "me" time.  That should have worked, but PHL came out of his fugue state really hungry and chowed down on a corpse.  That was a unexpected.  There were a few bushes with edible berries but PDL came from a noble family and refused to pick the berries so he could eat them.  He was about to go nuts again (the eating of a raw corpse seems to weigh heavily on his mind) so he started off to our colony.  He almost made it but starved to death before he could get there.

Our expedition came home with two less people some looted corn, a few firearms, a handful of machine parts and wooden armor we stole from a dying tribal.  It wasn't the most successful endeavor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

My connection is really spotty so I didn't get to show off the piece de resistance, the fitting monument to Languish, our Great Work.

The word "Languish" written in huge letters of burning shit.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

celedhring

Syt

This all sounds very much like what I would expect Languish to do stranded on a barren planet. :)

I hope I'm alive and healthy. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on May 14, 2020, 07:14:00 AM
This all sounds very much like what I would expect Languish to do stranded on a barren planet. :)

I hope I'm alive and healthy. :unsure:

You seem to be okay per your pawn status indicator at top of last screen. Sleeping and maybe neutral (or content) mood?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Summer brought two things, heatstroke and trees with eyeballs.  For the heatstroke people rested in the walk in freezer in the kitchen.  Getting rid of eyball trees took a lot of bullets.  Ordinary trees turned in to ungodly abomination because of passing horror from another dimension known as an ocular jelly.  Fortunately the jelly was not particular dangerous, just very hard to kill.

The jelly was largely peaceful, but the red fog it emanated turned ordinary vegetation into weird alien flora that we had little use for.  So we decided to kill it.  First Shelf went down there to kill it but the fog obscured the monster making very difficult to hit.  After spending several minutes of failing to hit the monster Martinas, Barrister, and Mongers joined in and began firing into the cloud.  They continued like this for five minutes still failing to hit the monster.  Because this is Languish the sound of people firing wildly in random directions is fairly normal.  So St. Jaba didn't think much of it and walked into the line of fire.  After we dragged St. Jabba back to the hospital we decided to just bludgeon the monster to death.  Since it was by nature peaceful, this was a successful stratagem. The weird plants apparently don't live very long in our dimension so they died on their own.

The people of the Languish colony are particularly prone to argument which often results in violence.  In the case of 11B4V, he picked a fight with CCR while in the hospital recovering from another fight. This sort of think is alarmingly common.

We received a message from a group of people calling themselves the Red Plateau Settlement asking if we would pay protection money.  We debated this and considered it unwise as the Red Plateau Settlement was really far away and they are probably assholes as well.  The Red Plateau Settlement laughed at us and attacked by drop pods landing right in the middle of a river.  There weren't very many of them so we were easily able to dispatch them.  Several of our people were injured but nobody died.  We also captured two of the enemy, imprisoned them and eventually brainwashedconverted them to our side.  They still hate us everyone in the colony but work with us anyway.  One of them as Psellus and the other was someone who's name I can't remember.

Here is garbon throwing Molotov cocktails at one

And here is Psellus hating all his new friends. 

Speaking of new recruits, a flock of chickens arrived and managed to tame themselves.  A clutter of acid-shooting spiders also showed up but did not self-tame.  Berkut shot them with a hunting rifle he took from some of those raider guys.

In the Fall we received two requests.  One was to hold a guy captive for a while and the other was to build a big monument for one of our enemies.

The big monument request was kind of strange as they were a neolithic tribe and were offering us 28,000 silver pieces for the construction and threatened to turn a satellite against us if the new monument was damaged.  Imprisoning an innocent gay guy seemed a little more normal, if well, evil, but we have stolen the clothing of too many dying people to give a shit about morality.  So we took both quests.  And to our surprise the tribals paid us the 28,000 silver after building the monument.  28,000 silver is an enormous amount of cash.  Because I also gained a new title from imprisoning the unfortunate lover I ordered that some of the silver be melted down to make a throne.  Also, there was kind of mix up with releasing the prisoner resulting in us beating the guy up and putting his unconscious body on a space ship. To be a loyal knight of the Empire!

Speaking of bad decisions we decided to destroy a nearby settlement of Neolithic farmers.  True, they were peaceful, but because we were encroaching on their land and turning their sacred mountains into useless monuments it was only a matter of time before they became violent.  We sent out a war party with our best weapons.  The Tribals were armed with bows and arrows and the like and were easily wiped out.  That wasn't a problem.  After the war party left a caravan of traders came to buy and sell goods.  What we didn't realize is that the caravan we were buying stuff from came from that Tribal village (I'm really not very good at this game).  They received a raven or something because as we launched the attack on the tribals the caravan immediately attacked us, while still in our base.

Romance is not unknown here on Languish and several relationships have started up.  So it is not surprising that Cupid's arrow would strike Benedict Arnold heart or that his heart would be broken.  Except it wasn't cupid but a psychotic warrior calling himself "Blue Dinosaur" and obliterating Benedict's heart killed him immediately.  Oex lost a leg during the battle and someone else lost a eye, fortunately we found some bionic limbs we found laying in a field so they are good as new, better actually.

Because we found a several steel sarcophagus, we laid BA to rest in style and with a depiction of his death draw on the tomb.

The attack on the enemy village went very well, people armed with spears don't hold up well against automatic fire.  We were surprised to find a large number of high-tech gear including valuable machine components.  So maybe they weren't savages at all, just space Amish.

I said earlier that received an higher title from the Empire for that kidnapping thingy.  Well with the title came a device that granted me more psychic powers.  The description of the new power was a little vague so I tested it out Tamas who happened to be nearby.  He threw up, fell to the ground, and roll around for a while.  This might be useful in the future.

We had another call from those plateau guys, making the same request, attacking us and quickly dying.  They aren't the brightest folks around.  Our main goal at the moment is to finish a nuclear reactor and move everyone underground.  By the end of the year we were very close to achieving that.  We have a few missteps, including sending to coolant to the wrong place but I think we've just about got it all straightened out.  A little more concerning that people seem to go insane living underground for a long time.  We are looking into solving that problem through drugs and surgery.

A few other minor things occurred toward the end of the year.  We found another electric snail, but instead of shooting at it we decided to just pistol whip it.  This was moderately successful but the snail did manage to rip Maladict's arm off.

A constant problem in the colony is fire.  Several members of Languish like to start fire for no particular reason.

At one point Rex Francorum managed to light a pig on fire, which is impressive in it's own way.

So that ends our first year.  We've only lost three people and we gained two so that's good.  I fully expect next year to have more challenges, as we are increasing the difficulty level, but I have no doubt in my mind that Languish will continue on.

Razgovory

I think I will modify the list of Languish members on the first page to show their fate.

The Brain

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.