News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Roll20 RPG Game

Started by Berkut, April 18, 2020, 01:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Going back and reminding myself of the various versions... I think the last version of D&D I played would have simultaneously have been the Blue Box D&D the most, though I think I dabbled in AD&D.

As we got into the 90s I purchased 2nd edition and some various books, but I didn't really play it anymore.

I think there was a mid-90s re-print of 2nd ed (kind of a 2.5) that I purchased as well.

But looking at the whole 3rd, 4th, 5th editions (and whatever Pathfinder is - a kind of open source D&D clone)... no experience whatsoever.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I started playing AD&D 2 Ed, which was the first edition that got a broad release in Spain. In high school I set up a regular gaming group and played 2.0, Player's Option, 3.0, 3.5 with them. We eventually moved to boardgames.

The Brain

May have played AD&D like once or something. D&D was never very big in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fromtia

My introduction to tabletop rpgs was sitting in with my older brothers playing something called Sword and Sorcery! in about 1978 or 79. We graduated to 1st edition DnD, then Traveller, 1st edition Runequest ( I will always love you runequest)then Call of Cthulu and onto Games workshop by about 1985 or so at which point we collectively lost interest I think. I loved collecting and painting miniatures, Ral Partha, Citadel etc etc. I still have some :)
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

PDH

Ral Partha were miniature gods
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fromtia

Quote from: PDH on April 23, 2020, 04:33:16 PM
Ral Partha were miniature gods

Oh they were so beautiful. My brothers and I lost our minds over their figures. I have a few Ironwind Metals fantasy figures that I bought back in 2002 or something, those are good. But there's an extraordinary elegance and attention to detail about the sculpture work in all the Ral Partha figures.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2020, 10:28:11 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 23, 2020, 08:52:06 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 23, 2020, 05:34:17 AM
I haven't played and pen and paper rpg since d&d ed 2 so I'm up for whatever :lol:

Yep same here, 2nd edition, last time summer of 1984.

2nd edition came out in 1989 :nerd:

Oh, so was it just Advanced D&D then?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 23, 2020, 06:33:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2020, 10:28:11 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 23, 2020, 08:52:06 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 23, 2020, 05:34:17 AM
I haven't played and pen and paper rpg since d&d ed 2 so I'm up for whatever :lol:

Yep same here, 2nd edition, last time summer of 1984.

2nd edition came out in 1989 :nerd:

Oh, so was it just Advanced D&D then?

Yeah.

Things did get confusing when WOTC turned 3rd edition AD&D into 3rd edition D&D and everybody just kind of forgot D&D ever existed as a separate game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

No I think it was confusing right from the beginning when TSR marketed two different versions of what was basically the same game.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2020, 02:25:33 PM
No I think it was confusing right from the beginning when TSR marketed two different versions of what was basically the same game.

True :P

All just in an attempt to screw over Dave Arneson.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2020, 03:27:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2020, 02:25:33 PM

True :P

All just in an attempt to screw over Dave Arneson.

I didn't know that. :o

You forced me to learn something today about a childhood hobby. :hug:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".