And we're back!

Main Menu

XCom new game?

Started by katmai, April 15, 2020, 06:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

It's only $10 until May 1st. I'll probably buy it at that price, even if it is essentially a standalone expansion pack. It's looking to innovate on the turn system, at least.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

How often is a game announced two weeks before release?  Seems a little weird.  I'm not too hopeful, Firaxis seems to have increasingly been losing the plot with the franchise.

garbon

Yeah with annoucment timing, details and price sounds like paying to try a experiment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Cooperation with the aliens?  That goes against everything XCom is supposed to be about.  :mad:

Josquius

Wasn't the whole plot with Xcom that there were evil overlord aliens who had conquered others and incorporated them into their ranks? Plotwise makes sense.
But yeah. Weird to be announced so near release.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Apparently it's meant to take place 5 years after X-Com 2, in the uneasy post-war peace situation, and contained into a single city rather than worldwide, so it seems that it'll be more police-like and less military-like, so to speak.

I'll wait for the first reviews, but if they're good (and it's not expensive during the first few days) I think I'll get it. X-Com has given me so many good times over the years that they have my trust.

FunkMonk

It's definitely an experiment, but Firaxis has handled the franchise so well, and produced increasingly better and more coherent gameplay within it, that I'll probably pick it up for $10. Frankly, they deserve the trust they've built with the fans.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

ulmont

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 AM
It's definitely an experiment, but Firaxis has handled the franchise so well, and produced increasingly better and more coherent gameplay within it, that I'll probably pick it up for $10. Frankly, they deserve the trust they've built with the fans.

Yeah, agreed.  I mean, it's basically standalone DLC, and I'd be buying it if it was actual DLC for XCOM 2 for $10. :contract:

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Larch on April 16, 2020, 07:05:03 AM
Apparently it's meant to take place 5 years after X-Com 2, in the uneasy post-war peace situation, and contained into a single city rather than worldwide, so it seems that it'll be more police-like and less military-like, so to speak.

I'll wait for the first reviews, but if they're good (and it's not expensive during the first few days) I think I'll get it. X-Com has given me so many good times over the years that they have my trust.

XCOM: Apocalypse (the original XCOM 3) already tried that.  It didn't go so well...

ulmont

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 16, 2020, 08:39:44 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 16, 2020, 07:05:03 AM

XCOM: Apocalypse (the original XCOM 3) already tried that.  It didn't go so well...

Yeah, but Firaxis seems to be heading towards jettisoning the strategic layer in favor of just a straight tactical RPG, which seems cool by me.

The Larch

Yeah, Apocalypse was a much larger departure from the traditional X Com style of games. It seems that Fireaxis is keeping this new game closer to the traditional engine, only changing the focus.

DGuller

I guess that's where XCOM lost me.  I enjoyed the fact that there was both a strategic and tactical part to the game, and both of them were crucial and neither was a sideshow to the other.  DLCs turned it into a linear story-driven RPG, which made it into a different game, and I would argue a much worse game.  I enjoyed the fact that my strategic decisions would have an impact on the tactical situation.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2020, 10:00:23 AM
I guess that's where XCOM lost me.  I enjoyed the fact that there was both a strategic and tactical part to the game, and both of them were crucial and neither was a sideshow to the other.  DLCs turned it into a linear story-driven RPG, which made it into a different game, and I would argue a much worse game.  I enjoyed the fact that my strategic decisions would have an impact on the tactical situation.

I don't have all the small side-mission DLCs, but I can safely say that you are very wrong. There are TONS of strategic decisions you can make in XCOM2, not just with research but also with soldier customisation, that can have a very formative impact on how tactical battles turn out. Far more IMHO than in the 90s games.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on April 16, 2020, 10:02:29 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2020, 10:00:23 AM

I don't have all the small side-mission DLCs, but I can safely say that you are very wrong. There are TONS of strategic decisions you can make in XCOM2, not just with research but also with soldier customisation, that can have a very formative impact on how tactical battles turn out. Far more IMHO than in the 90s games.
I was talking about DLCs.  Vanilla XCOM2 was a good game.