The Old World, a new Civ-like from Soren Johnson

Started by FunkMonk, April 15, 2020, 09:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: chipwich on February 09, 2023, 08:07:46 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXH9_d_pDa4&ab_channel=GDC

Soren Johnsons CDC talk convinced me to buy this game and I've fallen in love with it, it has completely fired Civ and Endless.

Yeah, it's way better than Civ IMO.

crazy canuck

The Heroes of the Aegean DLC is also on sale for 90% off - it will cost you a buck or less depending on your currency.

They base game is also on sale 25% off.

On Steam

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2023, 09:45:17 AMThe Heroes of the Aegean DLC is also on sale for 90% off - it will cost you a buck or less depending on your currency.

They base game is also on sale 25% off.

On Steam

Oh good, thanks for that CC. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

I've been playing a bunch the Old World again recently. Going to get back to my Persia game after the kid's in bed. Still love it.

Jacob

A whle ago I did a bunch of games using the Northern Ocean map. Then I had a few games using the historical maps. Right now I'm playing using the pseudo-mediterranean map (the one with the central ocean, I forget what it's called).

I'm about to win my first game on "the Magnificent". Once that's done I'll give "the Great" a go.

crazy canuck

Wow, I am still only managing the lower difficulty levels.

Jacob

Yeah it took me a while to get there, that's for sure.

Jacob

Just got my first victory on "the Great" difficulty.

Two things that I particularly enjoy about "the Old World" is that:

1) You have meaningful decisions to make almost throughout the whole game; and

2) The physical landscape really shapes how you play - defensible mountain passes are important and your home terrain to some extent impacts your troop mix, your physical transportation infrastructure matters (roads, coastal borders, and anchored ships).

Jacob

I've been playing with Persia almost exclusively this time around. I believe they're considered a weaker nation, but I really like them for the following reasons:

1) Their special units are mounted archers, and I really enjoy the strategic mobility mounted units offer (especially when combined with a good road and maritime transportation network).

2) Their temples all provide a good solid boost (though the maritime temple is a little more limited). My approach includes going for Polytheism fairly quickly, allowing me to build all temples in each city; later (but as soon as I can) I enact Divine Rule giving me +1 happiness for each temple built which helps me pull out of the unhappinness descent.

3) Their starting tech gives access to all early game resources (except marble), which I appreciate. Nothing worse than having three cows in your starting city that you can't exploit because you lack the tech. The downside is that I don't have quarrying to begin which was a struggle (especially as I always pick Divination as my first tech ot research).

... though of course, now I'll try other Nations to see if my general approach holds or, if it doesn't, how much it has to be adjusted to succeed.

Jacob

And, ironically, everything in my approach is about building up an army strong enough to take out a rival and win... except when I was just about ready to kick off the war I had second thoughts.

My preferred targets were kind of out of reach, adding too much risk. I was at peace with my neighbours and I prefer not breaking a peace agreement.

I was being indecisive, when I realized I could just squeeze out a points victory by building the last available wonder and investing heavily in (hitherto) ignored culture buildings to push my last few developing cities into strong culture.

It made the last 15 turns a bit dull compared to the full engagement the previous 125 turns required... which is why I suppose they have the setting for turning the AI extra aggressive when you're close to victory.

chipwich

I will emphasize that this is the Best 4x on the market at present.

Jacob

Quote from: chipwich on October 17, 2023, 08:40:34 PMI will emphasize that this is the Best 4x on the market at present.

No argument from me.

Only caveat is that I haven't played all of them, so I can't offer an opinion based on a fair comparison. But it is very very good IMO.

FunkMonk

Yeah it's very good. I haven't played it in ages though. When I get the 4X itch back I plan on reinstalling.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.