The Old World, a new Civ-like from Soren Johnson

Started by FunkMonk, April 15, 2020, 09:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So I just picked this up (it was just under $40 on Steam). Looking forward to diving in.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Thanks.

Playing a tutorial game. Trying to make sense of it. Enjoying it. But now it seems like all of my cities are surrounded by raiders. Having a hard time dealing with all of them.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Crazy_Ivan80

One of the tips I got when starting to play this is that old world is more of a wargame that civ, so you do need to build up that army.

Jacob

Yes. You basically you need to build more units than you think you do. No more than that. Even more.

This is not like Civ where you can have a couple of strong units around and then quickly pump out an army if war starts. Some of your neighbours will build military units non-stop, and if they think they're stronger than you they'll attack.

And, of course, barbarians and tribals will be running at you constantly too.

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2024, 09:44:37 PMYes. You basically you need to build more units than you think you do. No more than that. Even more.

This is not like Civ where you can have a couple of strong units around and then quickly pump out an army if war starts. Some of your neighbours will build military units non-stop, and if they think they're stronger than you they'll attack.

And, of course, barbarians and tribals will be running at you constantly too.

Yup beginning to figure that out. LOL
Civis Romanus Sum

Crazy_Ivan80

and even then you might find that ambassadors of the other nations arrive at your doorstep, carrying a nicely decorated silver platter on which you'll find your derrière, perfectly seasoned of course, being served to you since the amount of units you built was still to low.

you're opponents can be really vicious.

Jacob

Yeah. The Old World is one of the few 4X strategy games where I fairly frequently take a shitty deal with or pay tribute to a rival while playing to win.

In most other 4X games it seems to me if you're in a position to win the game, you can brush off demands by rivals because you're strong enough to crush them. Conversely, if you feel it's probably necessary to take to give in to a rival's demands you've basically already lost the game.

Josephus

Yeah beginning to realize that. That saud I did win one war and made my enemy pay me some ridiculous amount for 40 years

Civis Romanus Sum

chipwich

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 26, 2024, 07:19:49 AMOne of the tips I got when starting to play this is that old world is more of a wargame that civ, so you do need to build up that army.

I'd call it more civ with very high aggression baked into the tempo and balance of the game. To emphasize, the game is set in "mean" sword and board times and all the civs are aggressor civs.

crazy canuck

I am able to win without fighting much with Carthage, using a trade and diplomacy strategy.

Josephus

Finished my first tutorial game. Was doing OK...but then an old foe, attacked me and I was totally overwhelmed.
Well I preferred it to Humankind, that's for sure. I like many of the mechanics. The only thing I found was after a while i was just building things without really knowing why and unlike Civ, I never really felt i was working towards anything.
Gonna try another tutorial game, I think it's a harder level. I'm making notes of some questions I may have for you.

Also, DLCs worth it? They seem like they're just scenario add-ons, right?
Civis Romanus Sum

Jacob

If you play at higher difficulties, every decision matters.

At medium and easier levels, yeah you'll end up building random stuff without really knowing what the point is.

As for working towards something I found that happened more once I got a proper feel for the mechanics.

Josephus

Got killed in my next tutorial game which was a higher setting.
Anyway gonna play for real now.

Quick question. You know how when you discover an empty city tile you can place a unit on it to safeguard it. Can it be any unit? Even workers or scouts?
Civis Romanus Sum

Crazy_Ivan80

I think so, it's been a while but anything should do