Lessons From History For Us Regarding The Coronavirus.

Started by mongers, April 10, 2020, 12:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

More importantly, I think there are a number of lessons we can learn from this.

Maintain sufficient stockpiles at home, including cash, facemasks, rice, toilet paper, alcoholic wipes, bottles of ethanol, hand sanitisers, bleach, canned food, paper products, etc.

It is necessary to maintain a balanced stock and bond portfolio.

Wear facemasks.

Be more vigilant.  This is the second time in 17 years that a new type of pneumonia virus hit us.  There will be a third time.  Each time, there is several weeks' of lead time.  Use the time to get prepared. 

saskganesh

Public health care is a good strategic investment. Global health care is an even better one.
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on April 11, 2020, 10:23:21 AM
Public health care is a good strategic investment. Global health care is an even better one.

:yes:

Nation state don't just need to be proud of their military, they need to have healthcare the whole nation can take pride in.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Oh, just found a Game of Thrones angle to the question:

Dubrovnik residents look to the past to understand coronavirus lockdown

The streets of Dubrovnik, known as a location for the "Game of Thrones" series and host to 1 million tourists last year alone, have remained empty since early March when Croatia closed its borders to halt the spread of the new coronavirus.

Full article here:
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/FwDAp8NwIFY/dubrovnik-residents-look-to-the-past-to-understand-coronavirus-lockdown-idUSKCN21T0KZ

Iormlund

Quote from: Monoriu on April 11, 2020, 02:49:45 AM
Be more vigilant.  This is the second time in 17 years that a new type of pneumonia virus hit us.  There will be a third time.  Each time, there is several weeks' of lead time.  Use the time to get prepared.

This is actually the third. SARS, MERS, now SARS-2.

Leading Spanish coronavirus virologist said on an interview that they estimate a new coronavirus making the jump every 5 years.

Sheilbh

You might find this podcast interesting (it is!):
https://www.talkingpoliticspodcast.com/blog/2020/231-from-cholera-to-coronavirus
231 | From Cholera to Coronavirus
March 28, 2020

David talks to the historian Richard Evans about the history of cholera epidemics in the 19th century and what they can teach us for today.  How did contemporaries understand the spread of the disease? What impact did it have on growing demands for democracy?  And who tended to get the blame - foreigners, doctors or politicians?  Plus we discuss whether the political changes being driven by the current pandemic are likely to outlast the disease itself.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on April 11, 2020, 10:58:58 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 11, 2020, 02:49:45 AM

This is actually the third. SARS, MERS, now SARS-2.

Leading Spanish coronavirus virologist said on an interview that they estimate a new coronavirus making the jump every 5 years.

And if China starts enforcing common sense hygene laws in its markets?
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Will this virus turn out to be the 'midwife' for any revolutions or wars?

Grey Fox

We should remember to not trust China & add the USA to the list of untrustworthy nation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on April 11, 2020, 12:23:57 AM
We'll probably learn about as much as from the 2008 crash. Boy, did that teach everyone a lesson! :)

Both Margin Call and The Big Short are excellent movies.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2020, 10:56:55 AM
We should remember to not trust China & add the USA to the list of untrustworthy nation.

Who is trustworthy? Denmark, maybe?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 15, 2020, 12:34:41 PM

Oh hell to the no.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 15, 2020, 12:34:41 PM

The fact that people think nations are "untrustworthy" (and, by implication, trustworthy) is kinda cute, though childish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Thank you - we are an odd breed, but our culture and language sees us through.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM