News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Syt, April 09, 2020, 01:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I've been fooling around with the aircraft beta patch myself. It's fun and the air warfare system - while not groundbreaking - meshes well with the existing combat systems (I love how aircraft performance is tied to the type of atmosphere, too). Will do a serious save once it's an official release.

Syt

This is coming to Steam today. You should be able to claim your key from your registrations page on Slitherine/Matrix' website.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

20% discount for the release today.

Is the game worth it in its current state? What's the likelihood of me getting an MP game going?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2020, 10:19:30 AM

Is the game worth it in its current state? What's the likelihood of me getting an MP game going?

Absolutely, imho. Although the developer just introduced aircraft and I haven't had time to play much with them yet.

Would be up for an MP (I'm a terrible MP player, though), but I don't have much time right now.

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2020, 10:19:30 AM

If you want to pick it up, watch the exhaustive tutorial series by DasTactic. Some of the stuff has been changed in the meantime, I think, but it should still be solid. Or watch one of his current series on YouTube.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

:cheers: Thanks, guys. I'll take a deeper look tonight then. Looks like the sale's good for a week, so no rush for me.

I would love to get an MP game going. If I buy it, I'll see what of my local crowd I can convince to buy as well.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Oh, how long does a typical turn take once you have some semblance of knowledge under your belt?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

The game plays quick, but it depends a lot on the scenario - i.e. in large planets with lots of AI nations the AI turns are super-slow.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2020, 11:00:56 AM
The game plays quick, but it depends a lot on the scenario - i.e. in large planets with lots of AI nations the AI turns are super-slow.

Yeah, your turns are not the problem, its all the AI turns.  If you don't have a fast processor/lots of RAM it will take some time.

The game has been better optimized but avoid large planets with lots of opponents if you dont have a fast rig.

For your turns, it can be very quick.  You can play through without worrying too much about what is happening under the hood.  But if you like to know all the details and plan your strategy to gain best advantage of terrain, units etc - that can take a while, but that is the part I find very enjoyable.  So ymmv

I think this is the best strategy game to come out this year.

Habbaku

I have a really fast setup, but was mostly worried about input time, not processing the turn time. Input time, specifically, so I can recommend it or not to friends for MP purposes.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

Well, I got this (not sure how much time I'll have to play, fun stuff coming up).

If it isn't any good I am blaming Jesus.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

This thread made me buy it. I like it, but I don't know what i sgoing on. :(
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2020, 05:44:27 PM
I have a really fast setup, but was mostly worried about input time, not processing the turn time. Input time, specifically, so I can recommend it or not to friends for MP purposes.

MP times will likely be slow while everyone is figuring out the mechanics but can go very quickly afterward.  The main issue is waiting for the AI to resolve its turns.

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 04, 2020, 07:45:32 AM

I've seen there's guides for the first couple of turns on the community hub in Steam. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2020, 04:44:47 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 04, 2020, 07:45:32 AM

I've seen there's guides for the first couple of turns on the community hub in Steam. :)

Das Tactic YouTube videos.