7 (18.9%)
We'll all be home for Christmas
9 (24.3%)
When Jaron says it's OK
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 37

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2020, 03:27:50 PM
As I said in another thread, I think we're back to normal when everyone is over-supplied with masks and gloves, and they're made mandatory.  I think that will happen fairly quickly, definitely inside of three months.  People would still be freshly infected, and dying, but the risk would be mitigated enough and the spread retarded sufficiently that continued economic shutdown would not be reasonable.

DG, you never struck me as the optimistic type.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2021, 11:30:33 AM
As I said in another thread, I think we're back to normal when everyone is over-supplied with masks and gloves, and they're made mandatory.  I think that will happen fairly quickly, definitely inside of three months.  People would still be freshly infected, and dying, but the risk would be mitigated enough and the spread retarded sufficiently that continued economic shutdown would not be reasonable.

I couldn't imagine how much of a stupid issue the masks would become.  Instead of becoming mandatory, a big portion of the population made it a point of not wearing them.

crazy canuck

There is an article in the NYTimes that is on point

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/01/24/us/covid-vaccine-rollout.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Bottom line, in the US, restrictions into the summer are going to be necessary to prevent a spike in infections

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2021, 12:34:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2021, 11:30:33 AM

I couldn't imagine how much of a stupid issue the masks would become.  Instead of becoming mandatory, a big portion of the population made it a point of not wearing them.

After three years of it, you couldn't imagine the depths of stupidity the Trumpism virus would infect a chunk of the US population with?

:D

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2021, 12:50:48 PM
After three years of it, you couldn't imagine the depths of stupidity the Trumpism virus would infect a chunk of the US population with?

I couldn't imagine the stupidity trumping survival instinct.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2021, 01:06:03 PM

That's where I differ from you, I often assume much of people's behaviour is self-destructive, sometimes intentionally so; many Trump supporters want to see the world crash and burn about them as they face up to their limited remaining lifespan.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2021, 01:12:30 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 24, 2021, 01:06:03 PM

That's where I differ from you, I often assume much of people's behaviour is self-destructive, sometimes intentionally so; many Trump supporters want to see the world crash and burn about them as they face up to their limited remaining lifespan.
That's where you differ from early 2020 me.  What happened in the last year definitely updated my beliefs about how people work, and what their failure modes are.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on January 24, 2021, 01:51:05 PM
Hindsight is 2020.

Hindsight is what some larger mammals need when you're about.

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2021, 02:11:49 PM
Hindsight is 2020.

katmai knows I'm just playing with my comments.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on January 24, 2021, 02:17:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2021, 02:11:49 PM
Hindsight is 2020.

katmai knows I'm just playing with my comments.

Hindsight is what some larger herbivores need when you're about.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 04, 2020, 01:31:19 PM
By "this", and I know it's different in different countries, but generally I'm talking about the emergency. Another way of wording the question could be. How long before everyone (who has a job) can go back to the office, and social-distancing laws are relaxed?
early fall, if we get vaccines. Later, if it keeps getting delayed.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Well, I said we would be back in the offices and have relatively normal lives by July. That was correct. Unfortunately, it didn't last :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I naively thought that it would be possible for me to have a party on my first wedding anniversary. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.