I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

celedhring

Of course, but after visiting Austria a couple times they would get my vote for "nation with best cakes/pastries"  :mmm:

Syt

The bakery in my supermarket has an awesome moist and dense chocolate cake with cherries that I like to partake in on cheat days. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I've been impressed with the carrot cake at my local Morrison's.  :sleep: 

(I've been very impressed with UK carrot cakes in general, really)

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 17, 2021, 06:37:40 AM
Of course, but after visiting Austria a couple times they would get my vote for "nation with best cakes/pastries"  :mmm:

How often have you been to Portugal?  :P

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 17, 2021, 07:30:28 AM

-_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I think UK cakes/desserts are often quite good - they are in no way sophisticated, or technically impressive as in Austria but they are tasty :blush:

In particular a custard tart, treacle tart or sticky toffee pudding :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

WEll, I got the first shot of the vaccine on the 5th, and just teted positive for Covid yesterday. Yeah!

Nasty cough, headache, generally very achy, but no fever.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2021, 07:55:08 AM

I think UK cakes/desserts are often quite good - they are in no way sophisticated, or technically impressive as in Austria but they are tasty :blush:

In particular a custard tart, treacle tart or sticky toffee pudding :mmm:

Oh man, I tried sticky toffee when I visited Scotland and that was quite the revelation. That and salted caramel.

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on February 17, 2021, 08:00:40 AM
WEll, I got the first shot of the vaccine on the 5th, and just teted positive for Covid yesterday. Yeah!

Yikes! Get well soon and rest up!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2021, 08:51:14 AM
Oh man, I tried sticky toffee when I visited Scotland and that was quite the revelation. That and salted caramel.

Milka used to have (still has?) milk chocolate with a salted TUC cracker on top. Surprisingly tasty.

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Sheilbh

Honest to God the greatest thing Britain's contributed to the world in the last 50 years :mmm:

Also love a banoffee pie which is a similarly 1970s invention.

As I say I realise our desserts are not as elegant as, say, French patisserie or Austrian. But I think there is an enormous amount going for just adding melted sugar to everything and see if it works :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2021, 08:54:08 AM

Milka used to have (still has?) milk chocolate with a salted TUC cracker on top. Surprisingly tasty.

I'll have to take a look next time I go to Lidl.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on February 17, 2021, 08:00:40 AM

Oh no! Such annoying timing. Hope you get well soon.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2021, 09:00:28 AMBut I think there is an enormous amount going for just adding melted sugar to everything and see if it works :lol:

Argentinians do the same with dulce de leche.  :P