Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on May 22, 2020, 09:22:53 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2020, 09:07:56 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 22, 2020, 08:45:54 AM
Yeah, I love how they tied volume to weight of water, metric system :wub:
Beautiful French rationalism :wub: :frog:

But then they went too far and messed up the calendar. that was the turning point of the revolution. all was lost on that crazy day.
I love the French revolutionary calendar, hate the French revolutionary working week <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

But then they went too far and messed up the calendar. that was the turning point of the revolution. all was lost on that crazy day.

/Valmy

Shame Napoleon discarded the revolutionary calendar.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2020, 08:51:05 AM
Why in the fuck would anyone use weight for liquids?

Only works for water, as in matches, under specific standard circumstances.
More niceties, such as volume/capacity and masse volumique vs volume massique.

KRonn

I'm seeing some businesses open up in the town center. My favorite bakery had a big flag with "open" on it. At least one barber shop though my usual shop isn't open yet. The governor's open policy is confusing but he opened up some businesses this week and I think barber shops and hair salons can open next week. So we're seeing some signs of life in my bucolic town.  :)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2020, 09:36:41 AM

I love the French revolutionary calendar, hate the French revolutionary working week <_<

The décade of decadence. :( i.e one Sunday (holiday) less.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on May 22, 2020, 07:07:50 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 22, 2020, 06:50:57 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 22, 2020, 04:43:14 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2020, 10:51:47 PM
Austria uses metric of course, but has a minor quirk. When ordering cold cuts at the deli counter in a supermarket you will not order in grams but dekagrams instead, or deka for short, i.e. instead of 60 grams of prosciutto you'd ask for 6 deka of it.

Heh, never seen dekagrams used everyday life before.

When I was a kid, some grocers still used the Spanish pound.

So Spain has stopped using the arroba (@) and the almud? Allahu akbar!

Arrobas are really old-timey.  I just had to check that it's 11'5 kilos. Apparently it corresponds to how much stuff a donkey can carry.

in Galicia we used to have a really particular unit for field size, the "ferrado" (somehow equivalent to the Castillian "celemín"), which changed from one village to the next. It amounted to the minimum size of a field able to produce a certain amount of cereal (between 12 and 20 kilos, depending on the particular cereal), also called "ferrado". It is still used informally by older people in the countryside.

Libra/livre, both as £ and weight are somewhat old-fashioned but would be understood by most people over 20, I guess. Metric pounds only, of course.

Countryside folks might still use alqueire in Portugal, a varying capacity unit (13 to 22 l) but it still known thanks the idiom of "cabeça de alqueire" (empty-headed person).
Up north, cântaro may be more commonly used than almud. It's half an almud.

France has still uses more often than not soup spoon (15 ml) and coffee spoon (5 ml) in recipes, sometimes giving the info in ml between brackets.
That's cuillère à soupe et cuillère à café respectively.

PS: reformed orthography, as per Académie française recommendations, for le Loup Gris.

Sheilbh

Love that it's soup and coffee - we use teaspoon (5ml) and tablespoon (also 15ml).
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

In the crazy half of both world that is Quebec, we mostly use teaspoon & soupspoon.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2020, 11:06:45 AM
Love that it's soup and coffee - we use teaspoon (5ml) and tablespoon (also 15ml).

German has Esslöffel (literally "eating spoon") and Teelöffel (tea spoon).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

saskganesh

Two raises so far and I am now one of the "go to" people at work.  :huh:

Even better: I get to be called brave. And heroic.  :huh: :huh:

Of course, adjectives are cheap. :hmm:
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on May 22, 2020, 05:35:46 PM
Two raises so far and I am now one of the "go to" people at work.  :huh:

Even better: I get to be called brave. And heroic.  :huh: :huh:

Of course, adjectives are cheap. :hmm:

That's two more raises than I've had in 5 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

you still make much more than me. :cheers:
humans were created in their own image

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2020, 03:23:51 PM
:lol: No-one under 50 uses yards.

Personally I use metric for beer and milk, (human) weight, long distances (miles) and very small distances (inches); metric for baking measurements and moderate distances (metres) I have no idea how any of these relate to each other or if other people are a bit more regimented :blush: :lol:
I have a really hard time figuring people's height in metric.  1,82m tells me nothing.  6' is a tall person :P
But really, if we're talking about a wall, I can easily figure 3,05m or 3,66m or 4,88m.
Length are in mm/cm/m/km.  Miles tels me absolutely nothing, I have to convert in my head, same with speed.  Half inches, quarter inches... I hate these.  Working with construction guys "give me 1/32".. euh?  wtf is that??

Any kind of cooking has to be done in metric, or cups (imperial).  Any other measure tells me nothing (gallons, ounces, pints), etc.  I know a cup is 250ml, so I can easily adjust from that.
Human weights is in lbs, but I can't figure anything else than kg for any kind of objects.  Tell me a box weights 2kg and I know it's not heavy (4.4lbs), but tell me it's about 4.5lbs and it tells me nothing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 21, 2020, 06:11:09 PM
I get my weight in tenths of kilograms.
Monday: 425 3/10kg
Friday: 425 1/10kg 

woo-hooo!!!  I've finally lost weight!!!  :yeah: 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.