49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on April 30, 2020, 08:28:51 PM
Tomorrow I am taking a day off.  This might not seem like much, but this is the first time since the Shelter in Place orders that I have been able to take a moment.  Setting up the PPE storage and distribution for the campus, changing over to receiving all the UPS and Fedex, trying my best to take care of the 5 workers I have.

I am mentally exhausted by this.  Emotionally I am a beaten dog.

:(

I'm so sorry, my friend. I truly am.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2020, 08:54:10 PM
Still haven't been able to buy a single mask.  Three orders from Amazon for the disposable ones were cancelled after a week.  Finally, I just went with the washable cloth kind, because they were supposed to deliver in three days.  Today was the third day, and i just got notified that delivery would be made May 12.  <_<

I see lots of people walking around in masks.  How are they getting them?  Is there some secret store that i just don't know about?

I made mine, and about a dozen others for friends.  I know there are a ton of sellers on Etsy if you don't know anyone who sews.

Zanza

You can now buy surgical and FFP1 (sometimes FFP2) masks in normal shops here (like Aldi or Lidl), but they cost a lot and you can only buy small amounts and they are often sold out. Masks are mandatory in super markets here now and as far as I can tell, everybody is wearing them - except the cashiers who are behind glass now.

The company I work for has bought a machine to make 100k+ masks per day. I guess they will add more such machines in our international locations to protect the assembly line workers.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

They are sold on pharmacies over here (IIRC, packs of 5 of the disposable kind), and my mom bought some reusable ones at a nearby medical supplies shop that was advertising them.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 30, 2020, 10:33:41 PM
Well, both my wife and I are fully recovered and back to work.

That's great man!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fromtia

I planted a Passion Vine and a Bleeding Heart Vine on my newly constructed (but unfinished by budget constraints) back yard fence at the beginning of April and they are both charging along. I'm pinching and training every other day! The Passion Vine I've wanted for years but I've actually never found one for sale, but they had some at Lowes in March, and I scored.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

Went on a grocery run and almost everyone is masked here.  I felt like a militia goon for not having one on.

Barrister

We bought masks.  I think we have 20 purchased for $25.  The thin single-use disposable kinds.

But I don't think we could find more, so I haven't been using them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2020, 01:45:07 PM
Went on a grocery run and almost everyone is masked here.  I felt like a militia goon for not having one on.

Someone posted a nice pic of six militia goons with automatic rifles. They all had masks on.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PJL

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2020, 01:45:07 PM

Last weekend there was a significant minority covering their faces when I did the weekly grocery shop at the supermarket. It probably will be more this week. Certainly, when the lockdown restrictions are eased in the UK, I will definitely be using some sort of face-covering for long-distance public transport.

DGuller

I saw a 50-pack on Amazon today.  They have about 25% 1-star review rate.  Reason:  the masks are made in Wuhan, China.  Some reviewers even claimed to have thrown them out once they found out.   :rolleyes: If anyone wants a 50-pack, the delivery date seems pretty good here: https://www.amazon.com/Face-Mask-Pack-of-50/dp/B086KMYNSS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8.

merithyn

A friend of mine has an adult daughter who is 28 and a chef in Chicago. She is, obviously, out of work at the moment, and without question stressed. My friend decided to help her the same way that she did when her daughter was a little girl; by reading to her. She's been taping herself reading Little Women, her daughter's favorite book, a chapter at a time, one chapter a day.

She found out that I wasn't handling this whole lockdown thing well, and so she started sending me the chapters, too.

You guys... these chapters are the best thing to come out of this whole mess. They are the most calming, soothing things I do every single day.

:wub:  :blush:

PDH

Quote from: fromtia on April 30, 2020, 08:58:40 PM
Quote from: PDH on April 30, 2020, 08:28:51 PM

I am mentally exhausted by this.  Emotionally I am a beaten dog.

This too shall pass. Hang on old bean.

The resting began with waking at 9:30, and a breakfast of a cheese omelette with a mimosa to drink.  This will be a breather, but I get to hit the ground again on Monday.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM