49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

fromtia

Quote from: KRonn on April 29, 2020, 10:29:25 AM
I felt pretty much the same way, felt odd wearing a mask. I have some newer ones to wear, and ordered some more on line. Most people that I encounter are wearing them but not everyone. But in some parts of Boston, namely Cambridge and Somerville, there are hefty fines for not wearing one. Also required in a few other towns/cities, like Lawrence.

Here in St.Augustine, FL, when I go to the store its about 50/50 maybe? As my purse strings have tightened I've gone from Publix to Wal Mart and Aldi. About 50/50 mask versus non mask across the board. I've made perhaps two trips to the local Lowes and it was about the same. All the stores have sneeze guards and one way systems and lots of disinfecting of carts and so forth.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

derspiess

I have a couple gaiters/balaclavas/masks/wraps/whatever I ordered from Amazon that should be here hopefully Saturday.  Most of what was available had some jingoistic design/slogan on it or was camo, so I had to click through to find something plain-ish.

Thought about getting a Gadsden flag one or somesuch just to post on here about, but the truth is I'm not much on drawing attention to myself in public.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I admit I felt really weird going into a gas station wearing a mask.  "I'm not here to rob you, I just need a soda."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 29, 2020, 12:16:18 PM
I admit I felt really weird going into a gas station wearing a mask.  "I'm not here to rob you, I just need a soda."

Two years ago, the government introduced a ban on wearing face cover in public. This week the conservative interior minister announced that participants at demonstrations must wear masks. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2020, 12:19:33 PM

Two years ago, the government introduced a ban on wearing face cover in public. This week the conservative interior minister announced that participants at demonstrations must wear masks. :lol:
This has been noted in the UK - especially by some young Muslim women reporters :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2020, 12:19:33 PM

In Germany wearing masks at demonstrations is still forbidden. I guess the police's ability to identify protesters is somehow more important than their health.  :rolleyes:

PDH

Tomorrow I am taking a day off.  This might not seem like much, but this is the first time since the Shelter in Place orders that I have been able to take a moment.  Setting up the PPE storage and distribution for the campus, changing over to receiving all the UPS and Fedex, trying my best to take care of the 5 workers I have.

I am mentally exhausted by this.  Emotionally I am a beaten dog.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Still haven't been able to buy a single mask.  Three orders from Amazon for the disposable ones were cancelled after a week.  Finally, I just went with the washable cloth kind, because they were supposed to deliver in three days.  Today was the third day, and i just got notified that delivery would be made May 12.  <_<

I see lots of people walking around in masks.  How are they getting them?  Is there some secret store that i just don't know about?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fromtia

Quote from: PDH on April 30, 2020, 08:28:51 PM

I am mentally exhausted by this.  Emotionally I am a beaten dog.

This too shall pass. Hang on old bean.

fromtia

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2020, 08:54:10 PM

I see lots of people walking around in masks.  How are they getting them?  Is there some secret store that i just don't know about?

I've been using the same one for weeks. I only use it maybe once a week for 45 minutes to get groceries, but I think it's more of an enviromental hazard at this point than anything else. My girlfriends mother is a pharmacists assistant, she got us the mask in early march, and brings us toilet paper from time to time.

Eddie Teach

I get one free with every dialysis treatment.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

I treat them like office supplies, so I take them home.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Iormlund

I've got a few masks I got in early February and the washable cloth ones my employer got us (each employee gets 10). A surprising amount of colleagues are using surgical or N95 masks, so there must be some way of acquiring them.

As part of the disinfection process I leave masks exposed to sunlight for a few hours after each use.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2020, 08:54:10 PM
Still haven't been able to buy a single mask.  Three orders from Amazon for the disposable ones were cancelled after a week.  Finally, I just went with the washable cloth kind, because they were supposed to deliver in three days.  Today was the third day, and i just got notified that delivery would be made May 12.  <_<

Gray market would be my guess.  In NYC area you can buy them in many stores, regardless of what merchandise they usually deal in, or even from street merchants, as long as you're willing to pay $1-$1.5 per surgical mask.  The shadier the neighborhood, the more available they are.

Hansmeister

Well, both my wife and I are fully recovered and back to work.