I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

derspiess

My life's not radically different. Most of my habits are the same. There are just more people here throughout the day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2020, 07:18:15 PM
I've been finding all these odd little places in my neighborhood - the other day I found a somewhat-hidden trail that runs under some hydro lines - it runs for quite a long way, bounded on one side by people's back yards and on the other side by some rail tracks, and is basically deserted. At one end it sort of peters out into a bunch of untended brush, and on the other it crosses a major road and appeared to disappear- but as it turns out, it has a pretty well hidden entrance and continues all the way to the Humber.

It's weird, because you are so close to a bustling city, yet it is utterly deserted by people. At the end where it meets the river, there is an awesome view, as you are on top of a high cliff overlooking the river - I could see no way to get down, and the only way to cross was to walk over he rail bridge, which looked like a seriously bad idea.

:cool:

Nice hidden place exploring, Malthus.

I've sort of been doing a bit of this, went to a part of the forest here, just 4-5 miles away that I'd never been to before, because it's not on the way to anywhere I usually go.

But now my horizons are limited to the local 5-10 miles, I guess I'll have do some more exploring like you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on April 24, 2020, 07:18:15 PM
I've been finding all these odd little places in my neighborhood - the other day I found a somewhat-hidden trail that runs under some hydro lines - it runs for quite a long way, bounded on one side by people's back yards and on the other side by some rail tracks, and is basically deserted. At one end it sort of peters out into a bunch of untended brush, and on the other it crosses a major road and appeared to disappear- but as it turns out, it has a pretty well hidden entrance and continues all the way to the Humber.

It's weird, because you are so close to a bustling city, yet it is utterly deserted by people. At the end where it meets the river, there is an awesome view, as you are on top of a high cliff overlooking the river - I could see no way to get down, and the only way to cross was to walk over he rail bridge, which looked like a seriously bad idea.

Cool. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

If I go back, I'll take some pics. It's an interesting deserted place, the more do as one side of the trail is bounded by a bunch of condo constructions that are on hold at the moment.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Iormlund

I got slightly sunburnt at work.  :blush:

I'm pale as it is, and after a month cooped up in the dark I clearly enjoyed the outdoors break-"room" a little too much.

celedhring

I noticed I have some slight photosensitivity, particularly after I wake up. This hadn't happened to me in decades, my eyes always have adjusted quickly.

Josquius

Successfully moved house in spite of the lockdown. Will be camping for a while as the shops being closed has messed things up and the old owners left it a pig stye so most of the prep time was cleaning. But woo.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on April 25, 2020, 04:44:31 PM
Successfully moved house in spite of the lockdown. Will be camping for a while as the shops being closed gas messed things up and the old owners left it a pig stye so most of the prep time was cleaning. But woo.

Congratulations Tyr.:cheers:

You're probably one of only a dozen people who managed it this week.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Today is the 75th anniversary of Austria regaining its independence (it's not a holiday, that's 26th October, because on that day in 1955 the Allies withdrew and Austria regained full sovereignty).

For the small official act at Hofburg, the Austrian military wore facemasks:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Ohio is going to start to open back up.  Medical procedures not requiring an overnight stay can start May 1.  Manufacturing, distribution & construction can open May 4 (I thought construction was already allowed).  On May 12 all retail can open, but we all have to wear those dumb masks. 

Restaurants, gyms, and salons are to remain closed.  So I can't get my hair did :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on April 27, 2020, 02:05:47 PM
:lol: They call their contribution to the Second World War "Kampf für Österreichs Freiheit"? That reminds me of Peter Struck's "Deutschlands Freiheit wird am Hindukusch verteidigt". Or is that actually for some kind of Austrian Resistance that I never heard of so far?

Sheilbh

It reminds me of Tony Judt opening Postwar with a two-footed challenge on Austria:
"After Germany was defeated Austria fell into the Western camp and was assigned the status of Hitler's 'first victim'. This stroke of doubly unmerited good fortune authorised Vienna to exorcise its past. Its Nazi allegiance conveniently forgotten, the Austrian capital - a 'Western' city surrounded by Soviet 'eastern' Europe - acquired a new identity as outrider and exemplar of the free world."
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on April 27, 2020, 03:22:15 PM

:lol: They call their contribution to the Second World War "Kampf für Österreichs Freiheit"? That reminds me of Peter Struck's "Deutschlands Freiheit wird am Hindukusch verteidigt". Or is that actually for some kind of Austrian Resistance that I never heard of so far?

Wikipedia says it is the latter.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96sterreichische_Freiheitsfront
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!