I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 08:02:06 PM
Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2020, 02:19:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2020, 12:00:34 PM
So we have managed to get all the needed goods so far except for flour and dishwasher detergent. I guess people are baking and washing their dishes a lot during this pandemic :hmm:

After a few attempts I found flour for my wife.  She was happy, but now wants bread flour.  No trace of that stuff anywhere.

I cant find flour or yeast anywhere.  :(

You guys don't have this already in the house? :blink:

We just happened to be running low. My wife and the kids made bread and a bunch of cookies shortly after Spring Break started and well...that might be all the baking we will be doing for awhile. It never occured to us that those things would be hard to find :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Yeah we thought we had ample yeast but they seem to be going dry. Probably need to a shop run just for that as they had none for our click and collect

Threviel

Sometimes yeast can be frozen.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2020, 02:22:45 AM
Yeah we thought we had ample yeast but they seem to be going dry. Probably need to a shop run just for that as they had none for our click and collect

Tamas, not seen any in the shop trips I've done the last two weeks and it's one of the few things I'll need in 3 or 4 weeks time.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Went for my weekly supply run.

The 8th District of Vienna where I live is the smallest district, and it has three main roads - Lerchenfelder Straße and Alser Straße which mark its limits South and North, and the Josefstädter Straße, which is a bit smaller but runs ca. through the center, parallel to the other two.

There was hardly any car traffic (very unusual), and due to the reduced schedule I saw only 1 tram which was not even half full. There were people in the streets, but notably fewer than normal, with everyone trying to keep their distance from everyone else.

There were only a few people at the supermarket. Food that keeps was in plenty supply, but some more perishable goods were quite empty, esp. their shelves of convenience food (freshly made salads, sandwiches, wraps etc.), fruits/vegetables and bread. I guess everyone has stocked up with long term supplies and catches up on the fresh stuff now. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

There's a decent recipe using beer for yeast doing the rounds.

Also consider souring some milk and going Irish to make soda bread - I don't think there's been a rush on bicarb of soda:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/simple-soda-bread
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Quote from: Syt on March 26, 2020, 09:41:08 AM
Went for my weekly supply run.

The 8th District of Vienna where I live is the smallest district, and it has three main roads - Lerchenfelder Straße and Alser Straße which mark its limits South and North, and the Josefstädter Straße, which is a bit smaller but runs ca. through the center, parallel to the other two.

There was hardly any car traffic (very unusual), and due to the reduced schedule I saw only 1 tram which was not even half full. There were people in the streets, but notably fewer than normal, with everyone trying to keep their distance from everyone else.

There were only a few people at the supermarket. Food that keeps was in plenty supply, but some more perishable goods were quite empty, esp. their shelves of convenience food (freshly made salads, sandwiches, wraps etc.), fruits/vegetables and bread. I guess everyone has stocked up with long term supplies and catches up on the fresh stuff now. :D

THE FLOUR AND YEAST MAN!  WHAT OF THE FLOUR AND YEAST?!?!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

There was plenty of yeast at the shops over here. Maybe we can barter? Our yeast for your PPEs.

Anyway, I call my parents every day, and my mother keeps insisting I go and spend the rest of the quarantine with them. She's never had any kind of social life outside of her family, and now she's having a torrid time at home.

Grey Fox

Mery mentioned it already but here's a link : https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Yeast
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Flour and yeast are also mostly gone in German supermarkets,  although flour is coming back. Some really strange product categories were sold out when I went shopping yesterday: all trash bags (looked for biodegradable), fresh cooled juices and smoothies (the cheaper stuff was available), natural yoghurt, frozen fish (specifically salmon), my favorite chocolate (Ritter Sport) etc.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2020, 10:20:34 AM

Mery mentioned it already but here's a link : https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Yeast

Yeah thanks, but my wife is not only a biochemist but also did a university course (!!!) on bread-making, so she is aware of alternative options. :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2020, 10:38:24 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2020, 10:20:34 AM

Yeah thanks, but my wife not only a biochemist but also did a university course (!!!) on bread-making, so she is aware of alternative options. :)

Sometimes simple things are hard to do for experts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Is anyone else getting hypochondria?

This sore throat that has been bothering me on and off for a while...
And...feels cold....
And I had a headache....
██████
██████
██████