I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

HVC

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 12:53:40 PM
Quote from: bogh on March 25, 2020, 04:33:43 AM
Non-essential, working from home. Officially due to last until after Easter and if the numbers keep reasonable, I suspect they will try to open up some schools or work places again.

I quit my job last week, as I have accepted a bigger job elsewhere, which is really awkward in terms of timing, but it all seems to be working out well enough.

We just hired a new person for our team. She starts April 6, and will be fully on-boarded remotely. I'm supposed to be pulling together the stuff to train her, and honestly, I'm not even sure what that should look like. It's really hard to do remotely. :blink:

In the last 12 months we've brought on 3 companies that I had to train remotely. Three main areas; accounting, dispatch, and techs (service mechanics on the road). Its a pain, but you kind of get used to training over the phone and screen share.

Last one I was sent to north battleford Saskatchewan for 4 whole days to start some of the training, then finished it off remotely.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2020, 02:24:22 PM
Holy shit man! I have missed you :hug:

:hug:

QuoteYeah it is crazy I think about WWII films where people are scrambling to find shit on the black market.

For sure.  I mean, it's limited to some weird items but yeah.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Btw, are Languishites all okay so far? I've browsed the forum lightly and haven't heard anyone mentioned as a concern, other than out of understandable caution.  Hopefully it stays that way.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2020, 03:23:42 PM
Btw, are Languishites all okay so far? I've browsed the forum lightly and haven't heard anyone mentioned as a concern, other than out of understandable caution.  Hopefully it stays that way.

Zoupa tested positive.  Been posting daily since then.

Grey Fox

Zoupa has it. He's fine so far.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Iormlund

Over here there's no way to tell if you have it unless you are sick enough to warrant admission. And in the current circumstances that means you have to suffer a bad case of pneumonia.

derspiess

Josephus

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 12:53:40 PM
Quote from: bogh on March 25, 2020, 04:33:43 AM
Non-essential, working from home. Officially due to last until after Easter and if the numbers keep reasonable, I suspect they will try to open up some schools or work places again.

I quit my job last week, as I have accepted a bigger job elsewhere, which is really awkward in terms of timing, but it all seems to be working out well enough.

We just hired a new person for our team. She starts April 6, and will be fully on-boarded remotely. I'm supposed to be pulling together the stuff to train her, and honestly, I'm not even sure what that should look like. It's really hard to do remotely. :blink:

We were supposed to hire someone this week, but I convinced my boss to delay it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I know quite a few people meant to be switching jobs about now. Tis the season even here.

Consider then Japan where the school year begins and proper hiring season is in April.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 01:03:30 PM
Thankfully radiology is amenable to work from home, unlikely most other subspecialties. I have a full workstation but we still trade off working on site in our hospitals about 2 out of 7 days of the week.

Once shit hits the fan like in NYC I won't be suprised if they ask for volunteers to become frontline doctors in COVID-19 wards. If they're desperate enough to ask for a radiologist help I'll of course say yes, but it's been over 5 years since I've done general internal medicine. Better than nothing, I guess. :ph34r:

Good on you Fate if push comes to shove, but do insist on proper PPE, which seems to be a disaster over here in so many places.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2020, 02:19:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2020, 12:00:34 PM
So we have managed to get all the needed goods so far except for flour and dishwasher detergent. I guess people are baking and washing their dishes a lot during this pandemic :hmm:

After a few attempts I found flour for my wife.  She was happy, but now wants bread flour.  No trace of that stuff anywhere.

I cant find flour or yeast anywhere.  :(

You guys don't have this already in the house? :blink:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 08:02:06 PM
Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2020, 02:19:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2020, 12:00:34 PM
So we have managed to get all the needed goods so far except for flour and dishwasher detergent. I guess people are baking and washing their dishes a lot during this pandemic :hmm:

After a few attempts I found flour for my wife.  She was happy, but now wants bread flour.  No trace of that stuff anywhere.

I cant find flour or yeast anywhere.  :(

Yes odd isn't Meri.  :hmm:

Though not as odd as the people I know who bought bread flour but forgot to buy yeast.:rolleyes:

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2020, 08:39:16 PM

Though not as odd as the people I know who bought bread flour but forgot to buy yeast.:rolleyes:

But... why?? Why would you have flour and no yeast?? :blink:

By the way, I'm starting a sourdough starter tonight to make sure my yeast lasts. ^_^
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on March 25, 2020, 09:29:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2020, 08:39:16 PM

But... why?? Why would you have flour and no yeast?? :blink:

By the way, I'm starting a sourdough starter tonight to make sure my yeast lasts. ^_^

Yes that's a very good idea. :thinks: