I'm working remotely from home
49 (59.8%)
I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Duque de Bragança

Restrictions in France to be alleviated in February, just after passing controversial Vaccine Pass law (upgraded Health Pass).  :hmm:

Gaijin de Moscu

Ah, lucky you.

Here in Switzerland, they've extended the limitations through end-Feb.

Sheilbh

Ireland's also getting rid of basically all restrictions tomorrow. As is so often the case they're keeping a couple that make absolutely no sense to me as really helping from a public health perspective - so there's still going to be a rule of six for people sitting at tables in a pub (but nightclubs are open :hmm:) and they're keeping mandatory table service in pubs :huh:

QuoteAt my work we're sticking to our guns - remote, with an option to come in for people who want to. I think out of my 100 people I have around 6 who are in every day and another 10 who come to the office a few days a week. I think the rate is roughly the same across the company's ~300 staff.

Personally, I've been in a couple of times and it's pretty empty, so it feels pretty safe. In any case, I've been advocating for a permanent hybrid model and it looks like that's what we're sticking to.
I do not think that in my role and sector I will ever go back to being in the office 5 days a week. It'll be different for different sectors, but with what I do I just don't see that it'll ever be necessary again and I would be shocked if it was a request from an employer.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 21, 2022, 11:24:04 AM
At my work we're sticking to our guns - remote, with an option to come in for people who want to. I think out of my 100 people I have around 6 who are in every day and another 10 who come to the office a few days a week. I think the rate is roughly the same across the company's ~300 staff.

Personally, I've been in a couple of times and it's pretty empty, so it feels pretty safe. In any case, I've been advocating for a permanent hybrid model and it looks like that's what we're sticking to.

A little worse, there were just a couple of cases in my boy's after school care, as well as in his grade (but not in his specific class). It feels like it's just a matter of time before he gets it, given the lower rate of vaccination among children (he's had his first shot and we anticipate him becoming eligible for the second one in the next few weeks).

Given all the benefits most businesses saw when their workers were given the option to work remotely, I am not sure why some are not adapting to implement flexible models which will go on past COVID - if we ever get past COVID.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 21, 2022, 12:31:13 PM
At my work we're sticking to our guns - remote, with an option to come in for people who want to. I think out of my 100 people I have around 6 who are in every day and another 10 who come to the office a few days a week. I think the rate is roughly the same across the company's ~300 staff.

I do not think that in my role and sector I will ever go back to being in the office 5 days a week. It'll be different for different sectors, but with what I do I just don't see that it'll ever be necessary again and I would be shocked if it was a request from an employer.

Exactly the same for us. The office remains open in case someone wants to use it, but we're all working from home.

Which is why I personally returned to Languish, I got lonely and bored after years of intense global travel.

We've already declared to our employees we'll unlikely ever return to 100% working from office. We're funding a mix of home/office highly beneficial.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2022, 12:50:33 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 21, 2022, 11:24:04 AM

A little worse, there were just a couple of cases in my boy's after school care, as well as in his grade (but not in his specific class). It feels like it's just a matter of time before he gets it, given the lower rate of vaccination among children (he's had his first shot and we anticipate him becoming eligible for the second one in the next few weeks).

Given all the benefits most businesses saw when their workers were given the option to work remotely, I am not sure why some are not adapting to implement flexible models which will go on past COVID - if we ever get past COVID.

Yes we are going to a flexible model but also acting as though we are past COVID.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 21, 2022, 12:28:16 PM
Ah, lucky you.

Here in Switzerland, they've extended the limitations through end-Feb.

Only two weeks or so after Macron declared, and I quote :

"les non-vaccinés, j'ai très envie de les emmerder. Et on va continuer jusqu'au bout".

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/maladie/coronavirus/pass-sanitaire/video-emmerder-les-non-vaccines-la-phrase-d-emmanuel-macron-remise-dans-son-contexte_4905605.html

I don't think he learned that kind of French with his granny French theatre teacher wife.  :P

PS : for the Anglos, emmerder means "to be a pain the arse" or "piss (them) off" and it's considered vulgar since it has a very strong scatological connotation (merde).

Sheilbh

We had an entire day of discourse in Britain about that word, don't worry :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

So French media stating Anglos had trouble translating precisely what Jupin said were right. Well, once in a while, why not. :) :smarty:

I hope the English media mentioned this was likely typical Jupin thinking the hoi polloi needs to be adressed in crude, strong words, in order to be understood.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 21, 2022, 12:53:30 PMWhich is why I personally returned to Languish, I got lonely and bored after years of intense global travel.

For what it's worth it has been great having you here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 02:48:02 PM

For what it's worth it has been great having you here.

Thanks, Valmy. The feeling is mutual, I missed the educated debate of Languish.

:cheers:

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2022, 01:04:09 PM
Yes we are going to a flexible model but also acting as though we are past COVID.

To me the advantage of the flexible model is that individuals can adjust their behaviour based on their risk tolerance - so being "past covid" isn't a fixed point of the calendar but subjective. Sounds to me that in some places "flexible" means "we're still going to override your sense of comfort re: covid", which is just... well, I don't think highly of that.

Josquius

The trouble with being flexible is going into the office has zero advantage if everyone else isn't there too.

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 21, 2022, 12:53:30 PM

Exactly the same for us. The office remains open in case someone wants to use it, but we're all working from home.

Which is why I personally returned to Languish, I got lonely and bored after years of intense global travel.

We've already declared to our employees we'll unlikely ever return to 100% working from office. We're funding a mix of home/office highly beneficial.

That's curious. I'd heard Switzerland was really not big on wfh. Most people I know there have had to keep going into the office.

Though the potential if it becomes the norm...swiss salaries without having to live in Switzerland on the surface.... Or companies just avoiding paying Swiss salaries.
██████
██████
██████

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Tyr on January 21, 2022, 04:55:34 PM

That's curious. I'd heard Switzerland was really not big on wfh. Most people I know there have had to keep going into the office.

Though the potential if it becomes the norm...swiss salaries without having to live in Switzerland on the surface.... Or companies just avoiding paying Swiss salaries.

Oh, but you must live in Switzerland for personal and corporate tax reasons, if you're on a Swiss contract. Also, there are types of jobs which you must keep here, again for tax reasons — advertising, for example.

The first reaction of many of our employees was "yay, I get to keep my salary and live in Portugal/Poland/whatever!"

But no, we had to bring everyone back, no exception. Even if they have to work from home. The governments are super strict on this.

viper37

ah, I'm in some kind of soft-lockdown now.

I'm considered a moderate risk of transmission due to covid exposure.

I went to deliver meds to a sick friend (covid-negative), stayed for supper, then received a call yesterday evening that her daughter had tested positive for covid.

I can still go out of the house but must avoid any close contact and wear a mask at all time for 5 days.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.