I've been laid off
9 (11%)
I wasn't employed to begin with
6 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2020, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2020, 12:34:47 PM
I found a lot of stuff like that too when researching my family history.

My mother and uncle always thought my grandmother was a total bullshitter with family history.  She used to tell people that one of our ancestors "captured Benedict Arnold", which she told me once and as soon as she was out of earshot, my mother whispered to me "Mother just makes up stories.  Never tell anyone that, it's not true."

However, I eventually found we were descendants of a Nicholas Van Wart, whose grandfather I believe to be Isaac Van Wart (though I have not proven it), who was one of the three NY state militiamen who captured John Andre, which led to Benedict Arnold being exposed as a traitor.  So, she probably wasn't lying at all. :)

Benedict Arnold was a patriot! :mad:

He was a rebel until he got piqued that Washington was promoted over him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 27, 2020, 12:41:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2020, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2020, 12:34:47 PM
I found a lot of stuff like that too when researching my family history.

My mother and uncle always thought my grandmother was a total bullshitter with family history.  She used to tell people that one of our ancestors "captured Benedict Arnold", which she told me once and as soon as she was out of earshot, my mother whispered to me "Mother just makes up stories.  Never tell anyone that, it's not true."

However, I eventually found we were descendants of a Nicholas Van Wart, whose grandfather I believe to be Isaac Van Wart (though I have not proven it), who was one of the three NY state militiamen who captured John Andre, which led to Benedict Arnold being exposed as a traitor.  So, she probably wasn't lying at all. :)

Benedict Arnold was a patriot! :mad:

He was a rebel until he got piqued that Washington was promoted over him.

And a pretty good one...he almost made it so that BB could have been a U.S. American.   :P

Caliga

Honestly I would have preferred that we lost the revolution. :ph34r:

*hums God Save The Queen*

Oh, and maybe that way I could be a Sir instead of (or in addition to!  :cool: ) a Colonel.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Great....then we'd have Governer-General Trump.

Eddie Teach

Not if they were still appointed by the Crown. BB would probably prefer that anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 27, 2020, 12:59:25 PM
Great....then we'd have Governer-General Trump.

At least he would have no power then :lol:

It seems incredibly unlikely he would have been make PM by an American Parliament but then the UK did put Boris Johnson in that position...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Just bought some cinema tickets for next week ... for the drive-in theater.  ;) We'll watch The Joker in the social isolation of our car.

Admiral Yi

I'm surprised drive ins still exist.

Zanza

There is one in the metro area. Never been there before.

Edit: Seem to be about 10-20 In Germany.

Sheilbh

Just been to shops and was basically able to get everything.

Still weird shortage of flour, eggs and hand-wash but otherwise fine.

Should be able, in the next week, to move entirely to delivery services for 90% of stuff so will cut my time going to and being in the shops even more.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I had planned to do my shopping today, but yesterday I remembered that it's a local holiday.

This weekend was supposed to b my hometown's largest local festival.

HisMajestyBOB

I got my big Costco delivery yesterday and have scheduled a delivery from the local Giant supermarket next week. No flour, but I still have enough for a few days worth of pancakes. Looked like there was plenty of ground beef available.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

celedhring

My local supermarket was fully stocked today. Yogurt, yeast, loo paper, a treasure trove!

fromtia

Found a flat bread recipe with oil for a shortening and baking soda (of which I have) - worked out tremendously well. Perfect for dipping in potato and bean soup.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on March 28, 2020, 10:25:56 AM
Found a flat bread recipe with oil for a shortening and baking soda (of which I have) - worked out tremendously well. Perfect for dipping in potato and bean soup.

Thanks Formtia, that's good to know, I'll try that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"