News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Advanced Squad Leader

Started by The Brain, September 16, 2022, 03:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I've owned a bunch of ASL stuff for years, and I really enjoyed playing Squad Leader back in the day. I'm now toying with the idea of actually playing some ASL. Does anyone know what the online scene is like? Which are the tools people use?

You are welcome to say "stay away from it, try one of the many more modern and less cumbersome systems instead", but I will likely ignore your advice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

There are still hardcore communities out there for ASL, both on boardgamegeek.com despite the Euro bleedover (just stay in the Wargames subdomain), and consimworld.com still has their analog it's-ASL-or-it's-crap community.

The introduction of the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kits have provided an excellent stepping stone into ASL, to the point that some players have stuck with only the ASLSKs rather than go full binder mode. If you want to take a more programmatic approach to getting into your ASL stuff than diving straight into the binder, www.mmpgamers.com still has all 4 ASL Starter Kits available in print (for now).

Habs and Berkut will certainly endorse www.vassalengine.org for online play.  It was originally designed for ASL, after all.  I don't know what 11Bravo would endorse; pretty sure it doesn't have a Pabst Blue Ribbon mod yet.

Tamas

Stay away from it, try one of the many more modern and less cumbersome systems instead

grumbler

Stay away from it, try one of the many more modern and less cumbersome systems instead
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Embrace Vassal. Download all the modules. Massacre SS. Banzai charge Chinese positions. Take no prisoners. Replay Hogan's Heroes scenarios.

You can ask for a proper intervention if you ever start reaching for the HASL stuff.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

You are not a real man until you've played Red Barricades.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

^_^

Thanks guys. I shall delve into links and stuff. :)

For context, these are the ASL modules that I own :blush: :

Beyond Valor
YANKS
Hakkaa Päälle!
Rising Sun
Red Factories :yeah:
Croix de Guerre
For King and Country
Deluxe ASL
Women want me. Men want to be with me.