Languish Political Compass 2020 edition

Started by Syt, March 06, 2020, 06:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2020, 03:17:50 PM
I can't get past that first question.

Yeah that is a weird "either/or" proposition.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2020, 08:35:37 AM
A lot of awful questions.  One particular problem is that there is no distinction between idealism and pragmatism.  Yes, I'm sure almost everyone agrees that global economy should serve the people rather than "multinational corporations".  The question that separates the left and the right is what should be done to bring that about.

Mitt Romney objects that corporations are people, but then he is more corporation than man at this point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

"A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system."

What sort of question is this? I would agree with the statement (at least if you overlook the word "all"), but still think the a one-party state is horrible for a zillion other reasons.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

I mean there would still be arguements and factions it would just be within one party.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The questions remind me of push-polling, where they pretend to ask you a question but it's really a sales pitch.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2020, 04:09:07 PM
I mean there would still be arguements and factions it would just be within one party.

True (which is why I said you have to omit the word "all"), but does seem that a one party state such as China can dispense with some of the political argumentation that western democracies have.

I noticed that Thatcher is almost as authoritarian as Hitler and Stalin in the chart at the end. I wonder if someone went through and answered as Thatcher would -- I don't think that would replicate the results suggested for her.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on March 06, 2020, 03:58:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2020, 08:35:37 AM
A lot of awful questions.  One particular problem is that there is no distinction between idealism and pragmatism.  Yes, I'm sure almost everyone agrees that global economy should serve the people rather than "multinational corporations".  The question that separates the left and the right is what should be done to bring that about.

Mitt Romney objects that corporations are people, but then he is more corporation than man at this point.

Corporations who need corporations are the luckiest corporations in the world.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on March 06, 2020, 04:30:35 PM
"Not a leftist"  :P

Hey, just because I like supporting people and human rights more than corporations and religion doesn't mean I'm a leftist! :P