Main Menu

Humankind - the Civ killer?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

From the makers of the Endless games.

First dev diary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBYzh3qDibY&feature=emb_logo

What was the last non-Civ game that tried to cover the same scope? Call to Power 2?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1124300/HUMANKIND/

QuoteHOW FAR WILL YOU PUSH HUMANKIND?
HUMANKIND is Amplitude Studios' magnum opus, a Historical Turn-Based Strategy game where YOU will re-write the entire narrative of humankind – a convergence of culture, history, and values that allows you to create a civilization that is as unique as you are.
One Million Civilizations

Create your own civilization by combining 60 historical cultures from the Bronze to the Modern Age.
Begin as Ancient Egypt, then evolve into the Romans, the Khmers, or perhaps the Vikings.
Each culture brings its own special gameplay layer, leading to near-endless outcomes.

What civilization will you shape?
In the Eyes of Posterity

The journey matters more than destination. Fame is a new and unifying victory condition.
Every great deed you accomplish, every moral choice you make, every battle won will build your fame and leave a lasting impact on the world. The player with the most fame will win the game.

Will you be the one to leave the deepest mark on the world?
More than History, it is your Story

Face historical events, lead renowned figures of humankind, and make scientific breakthroughs.
Discover the natural wonders of the world or build the most remarkable creations of humankind.
Each game element is historically authentic. Combine them to build your own vision of the world.

How will you Change the Course of HUMANKIND?
A Tactical World

Show off your tactical skills by mastering terrain elevation with city-building and full tactical battles.
Keep one step ahead of other civilizations through trade and subtle diplomacy.
Call upon your allies to transform an epic battle into a full-scale eight-player world war!

What strategy will you mastermind?

These are just some of the amazing things you will be able to do in HUMANKIND.
More to be revealed soon!

PC Gamer article from last year with more details:

https://www.pcgamer.com/humankind-rewrites-the-rules-of-civilization/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I have this on my Steam wishlist - very much looking forward to it.

Habbaku

Ditto, CC. I put it on my wishlist some time ago when I found out about it. I loved the Endless series, with some reservations, and have high expectations of this.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

It is a unifying Languish game. So, yes, I'm hyped for it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Crazy_Ivan80

it's on my to watch list... I hope they succeed

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Probably a week after it comes out.  :D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Will it be playable on 10 year old pcs?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Big fan of their Endless games. They are all very playable and always come up with interesting wrinkles to old formulas.

Civ VI was a bit of a bust for me, so looking forward to this.

garbon

Undecided at this point. I've not been a fan of the Endless games (-_-), so I'll want to see more than just CIV looking screenshots.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Yes there are lots to be impressed with in the Endless games, but they all seem to be a bit off. Endless Legend in particular failed to click with me.

DGuller

I hope this is going to inject some competition into this genre.  I feel like Firaxis has been off the boil lately, both with Civ and with XCOM franchises.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2020, 05:19:20 AM
Undecided at this point. I've not been a fan of the Endless games (-_-), so I'll want to see more than just CIV looking screenshots.

There is much more on their website explaining the game mechanics if you are interested.

KRonn

Wow, this looks so very good! I'm a big fan of this type game. I hadn't heard of it until seeing this thread. :)  I'll also be looking to get it.