News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Humankind - the Civ killer?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Civ-hopping sounds like a dealbreaker to me. It might be awesome, but it's not for me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Hypothetical for those who don't like the idea of switching civilizations each era: imagine you were still picking the same bonuses, special buildings, units each era, but they're not named for a civilization/country, just something generic. Would that work for you?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2021, 02:10:22 PM
Hypothetical for those who don't like the idea of switching civilizations each era: imagine you were still picking the same bonuses, special buildings, units each era, but they're not named for a civilization/country, just something generic. Would that work for you?

I don't know enough about the game to answer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2021, 02:10:22 PM

For me it might...but I know that is really just superficial flavor, as I know it would just become something like Egypt = Monument Builders / Assyrians = Raiders, etc.

And I could easily see such a thing being blasted as "sterile" as well.

I dunno...I never got Civ 6, and had soured on 5 pretty quickly as well, but more so for the overall game mechanics...and maybe just overall Civ-fatigue (I was huge on Civ 1/2/3/4 back the day).

From looking at the playthroughs though, I think it is the combat system that bothers me more (it looks like they just kept EL's combat system).

I don't care for Civ's either...I think how combat is dealt with in Civ and games like these needs a serious re-look.

crazy canuck

The thing I like least about Humankind is how they deal with religion.  It might feel a bit more developed if I go with the religious civics rather than all the science ones.  But it really seems like an add on to get more buffs rather than something with meaningful decisions.  I don't mind the combat.  Have reserves, artillery firing from off map and geographic features influencing outcomes is not bad, but I have not fought many battles, and non in the last couple of eras. 

Josephus

I agree that civ hopping is weird. Particularly as it relates to the other players in the game. I have no idea who my friends are because they keep changing their name  :D

Turn 267 and came across a game ending bug.  :(

Game wants me to pick a religious tenet but there aren't any left, so it won't let me proceed.

I'm mixed with this game. Like some things, don't like other things.

I'm not convinced with wars and how they're settled. Seems like no matter how small your grievance, wars are total war...you have to whittle your enemy down to zero support. and I ran into another strange bug where I defeated and made peace with an enemy civ, but his allies kept insisting I surrender to that civ, even after I peaced out.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2021, 04:46:22 PM
I agree that civ hopping is weird. Particularly as it relates to the other players in the game. I have no idea who my friends are because they keep changing their name  :D

Game wants me to pick a religious tenet but there aren't any left, so it won't let me proceed.

I'm not convinced with wars and how they're settled. Seems like no matter how small your grievance, wars are total war...you have to whittle your enemy down to zero support. and I ran into another strange bug where I defeated and made peace with an enemy civ, but his allies kept insisting I surrender to that civ, even after I peaced out.

There is a setting that removes the prompt from the game to do stuff.  See if that works.

Solmyr

You can also keep the same civ over all eras, if you want. There's even an achievement for it. It will lack modern unique units, but otherwise should do fine.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2021, 05:08:12 PM

There is a setting that removes the prompt from the game to do stuff.  See if that works.

Nah....didn't work...oh well....time for a new game.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

I like how changing Civ means you can change your objectives of that era.

Assyrian for a fast early game expansion stealing outposts. Then Greece for a science oriented consolidation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

They released a new patch today; according to patch notes this should be fixed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I played about hundred rounds now. Quite a few interesting mechanics, but not sure if the game has this Civ addiction factor for me.

Exploration is good in that you can explore for a long time and find those curiosities. However, it's not engaging as I auto-scoutand just click away the pop up at each turn start.
It is not always obvious to me why a given tile has the yields it has, but with the later big boni it seems inconsequential anyway.

Building stuff is OK, but looks to that as usual production is king and all other resources are derived from that. Which makes me favor builders.

Zanza

The pacing seems off: I just entered the early modern era as the Venetians in 100 AD.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on August 29, 2021, 05:39:09 AM
The pacing seems off: I just entered the early modern era as the Venetians in 100 AD.

You went Atheist?

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2021, 02:06:44 PM

They released a new patch today; according to patch notes this should be fixed.

:cheers:
Civis Romanus Sum