And we're back!

Main Menu

Humankind - the Civ killer?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2021, 10:13:03 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2021, 06:12:49 PM
WASD movement is so slow. Really dampers my enjoyment of the map.

You can change the speed.

No. It changes mouse edging speed not the WASD movement.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2021, 10:12:37 AM

The important thing to realize is you are always going to get boxed in.  This in not CIV where you need to spam cities.  Nor do you need to have contiguous territories.  Rather you need to have well placed cities that give you control over luxury and strategic nodes.  Your capital is going to be your largest city because it gets the stability bonus and each attached territory is a stability hit.  Your other cities are not going to have many territories attached - unless you get lucky and get natural wonders in their boundaries, allowing you to attach more before you need to worry about the stability hit.

Thanks.

So, it's OK to build cities that are not connected to my main city? I never build that way, in any game. Seems very strange to do that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

I haven't tried this game yet but it's top of the list for me to get next. From the comments here and what I've read it's significantly different from Civ which is obvious, and I'm glad of that so as it should be a refreshing change of pace.

Solmyr

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 22, 2021, 12:46:27 PM

I don't think you should edge your mouse. :ph34r:

But seriously, if you press and hold the middle mouse button, you can move the map by moving the mouse. It's noticeably faster than with edge scrolling.

Josephus

For my current, third, game, I've moved down a difficulty level to Town from the third level. A lot easier (to the point it's getting dull now). No one attacks me and I'm snowballing heavily by mid game. Still it's good to learn mechanics and advance through the ages. Huge difference though between this and the third difficulty level.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on August 23, 2021, 04:30:49 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 22, 2021, 12:46:27 PM

I don't think you should edge your mouse. :ph34r:

But seriously, if you press and hold the middle mouse button, you can move the map by moving the mouse. It's noticeably faster than with edge scrolling.

I just use the left mouse button, click - hold - move the mouse curser to where I want to go.  Quick and easy.

Solmyr

I moved the difficulty to 4th (Nation) for my second game. Early game was a bit tough especially since I usually fail to build enough military in these games, but later on I still steamrolled the AI and was easily in the top spot on science. Funnily enough, after winning that game I also got the achievement for winning the game on highest difficulty.

crazy canuck

I went construction civs all the way except the last which went science in the last play through.  I won the game before turn 150.  The civs might need to be balanced out a bit better.  With the construction civs you never have to worry about stability because you get a +10 stability buff with each section you build.

I am going to try to go full warfare and see what happens.  I have yet to declare a war.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2021, 11:48:23 AM
I went construction civs all the way except the last which went science in the last play through.  I won the game before turn 150.  The civs might need to be balanced out a bit better.  With the construction civs you never have to worry about stability because you get a +10 stability buff with each section you build.

I am going to try to go full warfare and see what happens.  I have yet to declare a war.

What level you playing at?
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2021, 06:39:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 25, 2021, 11:48:23 AM

What level you playing at?

Can't remember the name of it - the third level up.  Also, I exaggerated, when I went to start my military game I saw I did not win until turn 190 in the last game.

Zoupa

Bought it, tried it, refunded it.

I felt zero connection to my civ or my neighbours. The whole premise of the civ-jumping did not do it for me, quite the opposite. Oh well.

Tonitrus

That's kinda been my hesitation...the concept of doing something like going on some kind of civilization path like Assyrian->Roman->Hapsburg->American just seems awkward to me.

I think I'd prefer just more generic/unnamed "civilizations" concepts/toolsets if you will, instead.

DGuller

I don't get the idea of civ-jumping either.  I know it's a central idea to the concept of the game, but it just feels bizarre.  Judging by others' comments, I'm getting a vibe that this game is as sterile as Beyond Earth.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 27, 2021, 08:57:35 AM
That's kinda been my hesitation...the concept of doing something like going on some kind of civilization path like Assyrian->Roman->Hapsburg->American just seems awkward to me.

I think I'd prefer just more generic/unnamed "civilizations" concepts/toolsets if you will, instead.

The nature of your civilization works very differently than in Civ.  In that game the thing with the greatest influence is the civ you choose to play - from that the type of game you will pay is determined.   Human kind is very different.  I think that is where the disconnect is - if people think they are going to play a Civ clone they will be disappointed.  The character and abilities of each civilization is developed over time based on a large range of factors including: how you interact with your neighbours (from which you will generate various buffs or detriments); which civic choices you make and the choices available are also determined by all the other choices made in the game; how you approach religion; and I would put last - the specific Civs you choose in each era. Those are actually the least meaningful because they only give you one particular attribute which you carry through time.

@ DGuller, sterile?  Anything but - rather there is so much going on that is different from Civ that I think a lot of players expecting to play this like Civ miss a lot of the mechanics.

Zanza

Played a bit, but did not really "get it" yet. Some mechanics make a lot of sense, others are less clear to me.