News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Humankind - the Civ killer?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

PotatoMcWhiskey has uploaded his stream: https://youtu.be/zPNniLsIWHM

I'm not familiar with his work, but scrubbing through he seems not overly annoying. :P

There's also Zakh who mostly plays builder/strategy games. https://youtu.be/16wLoz9Pgak

Quill18 is uploading his stream series, but he chops it up into less than half hour episodes and has only 2 of them up so far.

I've only seen some stuff from Marbozir. He seemed kind of annoying when he was doing some collaboration with Quill18 and he really annoyed me when he was playing Talisman with a few other YouTubers I was following at the time and when he had some bad dice rolls (in a heavily dice roll reliant game) he just kept whining and moaning and basically wanted to quit with the others talking to him to stay in because Talisman is unpredictable and things can always change. Didn't help that he was super gloating when he was ahead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

You can watch Quill18's stream on Twitch VOD. But I don't find his Humankind play to be compelling. He doesn't know enough about the game yet to explain what he's doing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

That's every Quill18 stream, it seems.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on June 16, 2021, 08:08:56 AM
That's every Quill18 stream, it seems.
I was going to say that.  :mad:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 16, 2021, 06:06:03 AM
You can watch Quill18's stream on Twitch VOD. But I don't find his Humankind play to be compelling. He doesn't know enough about the game yet to explain what he's doing.

It's an accurate depiction of a new player playing the game then?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2021, 04:35:13 AM

Fair point, but also with more complex games like this it is entirely possible for a new player to miss some mechanic or interesting detail which give a fuller picture and appreciation of the game - I kinda' like Quill18 but "play like a new player" is of little value to me - after all I can just buy on Steam and refund within two hours. I most like Youtube reviews where I can gain easy insight into things a cursory look would miss.

Zanza

That pacing of era / technology / culture still needs work seems the biggest issue from this thread and some early reviews. Let's hope they fix that. Big issue in Civ VI for me until I got a pacing mod.

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2021, 04:35:13 AM

Can be but it's also hard to follow.

DGuller

My recollection of Quill18 style is that when he starts the Civ 6 game, he tries to figure out for 18 minutes how to move the settler, and all the while commentating on his current insights of how to move a settler.  Once he figures it out, he spends the next 13 minutes figuring out how to move a warrior, likewise commentating throughout on what he's figuring out.  By the end of the third episode you give up on seeing the second turn.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

He does that and then he stops & just YOLOs for awhile.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2021, 08:45:38 AM
He does that and then he stops & just YOLOs for awhile.

I admit I prefer that to the relentless of min/maxing of other let's players.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quill also does a lot of "I really need to produce some builders"

Eight turns later. "I really need to produce some builders."

16 turns later: "I thought I had some builders."

I like many a true nerd. He's got a cool sense of humour.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

I don't begrudge Quill's success, and it seems pretty clear he's an engaging, friendly guy. He's just the exact opposite type of player I want to watch play new games.  :D

-J. R. R. Tolkien