Full Chrome, Bare Essentials or Somewhere In Between?

Started by mongers, January 24, 2020, 07:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For Most Games Do you

Stick with the base game.
2 (13.3%)
Buy some of the DLC / an expansion.
2 (13.3%)
Buy most of the DLC and expansions.
5 (33.3%)
Go for the Full Chrome and invariably buy everything available.
4 (26.7%)
Jaron - someone pirates it for me or I just stare at Timmay's maps
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

mongers

When you've bought a game, do you tend to buy the expansions / DLC and if so how much of it?

Prompted by the discussion in the EUIV thread, the upshot of which is I'll install only the base game and see how it plays, before putting any of the expansions on.

I think I'm now tending towards the base game nowadays, I liked Civ5, but in recent plays found that the tourism and great works of art/ literature rather distracting in the game, I think too much chrome waters down the core game mechanics.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Usually wait a few years and get it with expansions for a saner price.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

These days if I see a game with a lot of DLC bloat I just don't buy it unless the whole package is significantly discounted - then I will look at buying it but will still be hesitant.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2020, 07:42:26 PM
When you've bought a game, do you tend to buy the expansions / DLC and if so how much of it?

Prompted by the discussion in the EUIV thread, the upshot of which is I'll install only the base game and see how it plays, before putting any of the expansions on.

I think I'm now tending towards the base game nowadays, I liked Civ5, but in recent plays found that the tourism and great works of art/ literature rather distracting in the game, I think too much chrome waters down the core game mechanics.

Yes usually all of them.

My first time using heavily modded content was FO3. It essentially ruined the box stock franchise for me. The modded content was that good.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Generally I prefer to play with the entire game.,..or at least used to before it become so expensive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

I usually wait for a hefty discount when a lot of DLCs are expected.

Grey Fox

I usually stick with the base game. Some games I do buy DLC or expensions but they are a minority.

By the time that in-game I reach DLC content, I'm already over it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 26, 2020, 07:07:14 PM
I usually stick with the base game. Some games I do buy DLC or expensions but they are a minority.

Interesting view / preference.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: mongers on January 24, 2020, 07:42:26 PM

I tend to wait until the price has lowered then I buy everything.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on January 26, 2020, 07:14:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 26, 2020, 07:07:14 PM

Interesting view / preference.

I play a lot of games, very few for long.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

I tend to buy the base game, mod it somewhat, and play that until the GOTY edition goes on sale with all the DLC.  I play few games but play those that i like extensively.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!