And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Deserves its own thread, no?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

crazy canuck

all the reviews I have read say yes - definitely good.

Will not know until it airs tonight.

HVC

didn't reviews also say discovery was good?

I do hope its good, but i'm weary old many picard can carry a show mostly on his own. so I hope the supporting characters will be more integral then what the trailers imply.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Amazon prime threw an advert for it at me when I tried to watch something else.
I'm tippy-tapping.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

He looks pretty damn creaky, but I wasn't a fan of the series so I'm not the target audience.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 23, 2020, 12:23:56 PM

I do hope its good, but i'm weary old many picard can carry a show mostly on his own. so I hope the supporting characters will be more integral then what the trailers imply.

Discovery *IS* good! :mad:

The reviews I've said say the new characters play a large part, but it still sounds like the focus is firmly on Jean-Luc.

But I don't think it's meant to be an action show.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on January 23, 2020, 12:23:56 PM

I thought Discovery was good too.

I imagine this show will be more cerebral than phaser shooting. Reviewer said that first three shows he's seen, there's very little "spacey S/F" stuff.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

QuoteWhat does it all mean? A Star Trek less childishly idealistic about the future, a Star Trek about aging and regret and a Star Trek accessible to those who never cared for its sunny trust in technology.

Sounds promising  :)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-star-trek-picard-at-last-a-down-to-earth-emotionally-authentic/

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 23, 2020, 01:26:10 PM
QuoteWhat does it all mean? A Star Trek less childishly idealistic about the future, a Star Trek about aging and regret and a Star Trek accessible to those who never cared for its sunny trust in technology.

Sounds promising  :)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-star-trek-picard-at-last-a-down-to-earth-emotionally-authentic/

I have to point out we have had many Star Treks about aging.. Certainly Star Treks 1-6 were heavily about aging and regret, as was Generations and Insurrection.

But then again the author does admit to not really knowing his Star Trek.

crazy canuck

I think he was specifically referencing the work where we last saw Picard which was definitely the sort of world the critic described has having a sunny trust in tech.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 23, 2020, 01:52:58 PM
I think he was specifically referencing the work where we last saw Picard which was definitely the sort of world the critic described has having a sunny trust in tech.

We last saw Patrick Stewart in Star Trek: Nemesis.  The nemesis in question was Shinzon, a faulty clone of Picard himself who required a transfusion of Picard's blood in order to live.  Oh there was also a Romulan technology that was going to wipe out all life in the Federation.

crazy canuck

Yes that was the threat which was faced.  And a robot saved the day.

Barrister

I watched Discovery on streaming service Crave TV.  But because it was also being shown on cable TV it only came out one day later on Crave.

Looks like they fixed that - ST: Picard is available on Crave the same day.

Nice. :)

Barrister

Apparently they've changed Captain Picard's favourite drink! :o

[spoiler]Apparently he now orders "Tea, earl grey, decaf"[/spoiler]

Those monsters!