News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on May 08, 2020, 11:49:08 AM
We've entered an new era for medicine, a UK NHS database of all surgery during the last five weeks shows that if you get corona-virus within the 30 day period around the operation, then the mortality rate is 30%

Means very little. I presume the vast majority of surgery that has been performed in the UK these days has been for critical conditions only. So patients were already in very poor health.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 11:37:42 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 10:38:31 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 10:37:40 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 08, 2020, 09:57:42 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 09:39:04 AM
Oh you don't think it is. Ok then.

Is it the issue? Because I got the distinct impression that you aren't cool with loosening restrictions even if the looser restrictions don't result in an overwhelmed medical system.

My measure of success is lives saved, not length of lockdown time or how much capacity our medical system is at.

Are you prepared to put a price tag on human lives?

I work in health care so guess my answer.

Good. I ask because I have encountered people who are not prepared to do it, and are therefore obviously completely unfit to make decisions about safety in society.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on May 08, 2020, 11:52:08 AM
We've entered an new era for medicine, a UK NHS database of all surgery during the last five weeks shows that if you get corona-virus within the 30 day period around the operation, then the mortality rate is 30%

Means very little. I presume the vast majority of surgery that has been performed in the UK these days has been for critical conditions only. So patients were already in very poor health.

That's not what he said; you've no evidence for your assumption.

I could turn that around and conjecture that the infirm and elderly are 'avoid' other operations and relatively more otherwise health people are willing to go through with the procedure. An assertion for which I have no evidence, and yours?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on May 08, 2020, 11:57:37 AM

I could turn that around and conjecture that the infirm and elderly are 'avoid' other operations and relatively more otherwise health people are willing to go through with the procedure. An assertion for which I have no evidence, and yours?

My evidence is that this his how has been done in Spain, with all non-critical surgery postponed until after the epidemic to avoid exposure and reduce hospital loads (plus repurposing some post-operative care units as ICUs). I presume the UK has done similar.

Tamas

Seems like in the spirit of VE and imminent lockdown end, 2-3 households of our street have been having a street party. Tables and chairs are out on the sidewalk and they mingle and chat.

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on May 08, 2020, 11:57:37 AM

Are you trying to make a point, or just to point out that some British cardiothoracic surgeon noted a high mortality rate for coronavirus if contracted soon after surgery (which is hardly surprising)? 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2020, 12:04:47 PM
Seems like in the spirit of VE and imminent lockdown end, 2-3 households of our street have been having a street party. Tables and chairs are out on the sidewalk and they mingle and chat.

And blasting 1940s era music.

Of course they also loudly clap on Thursday nights, which must compensate for shitting on the NHS efforts by not observing the lockdown.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2020, 12:18:38 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2020, 12:04:47 PM

And blasting 1940s era music.

Of course they also loudly clap on Thursday nights, which must compensate for shitting on the NHS efforts by not observing the lockdown.

They're following the government's advice (check the Brexit thread :P ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on May 08, 2020, 09:35:18 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2020, 09:27:42 AM
And that is the issue, isn't it

It started out that way, but I don't think it is.

The medical system is below capacity in most of europe and north america and yet the locations with higher rates of infection are being cast in a negative light. For example, Sweden versus its neighbors.

If you look at slide 20 of the BC PHO's presentation given May 4th, it shows that our modelling is that if we go to 80% of normal our cases of hospitalization is going to go through the roof.  We are aiming at slowing going to 60%.  The modelling shows we will not overwhelm our hospitals and we can restart elective procedures at that level.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/Covid-19_May4_PPP.pdf

DGuller

source: Dr Joel Dunning, cardiothoracic surgeon at the James Cook university hospital UK.
Means nothing without context.  This should've been stated as a multiplier of expected mortality.

The Larch

Wohoo! We go to Phase 1!  :w00t: :cheers:

Sorry cel, you get to stay in Phase 0 for at least another week.  :sleep:

Situation in Spain starting next monday:

Josephus

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 08:25:10 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 08, 2020, 07:02:30 AM
not sure this was posted here. A brief in Lancet, stating that lockdown was worth the results

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31035-7/fulltext?

Hmmm have you read it?

Funny what a difference a word makes. Meant to say "not" worth the results.
Maybe the real reason I'm no longer an editor has nothing to do with COVID
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 08, 2020, 02:21:15 PM
Wohoo! We go to Phase 1!  :w00t: :cheers:

Sorry cel, you get to stay in Phase 0 for at least another week.  :sleep:

Situation in Spain starting next monday:

My region was very close to meet the thresold, according to our regional government. We were actually the closest of the Catalan regions to be left out... So hopefully next week.

One of the things I most look forward to is the reopening of libraries so I can work at some other place besides circling between my kitchen table, my study table, and my sofa.

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 11:53:15 AM

Is it the issue? Because I got the distinct impression that you aren't cool with loosening restrictions even if the looser restrictions don't result in an overwhelmed medical system.

My measure of success is lives saved, not length of lockdown time or how much capacity our medical system is at.

Good. I ask because I have encountered people who are not prepared to do it, and are therefore obviously completely unfit to make decisions about safety in society.

Ok? I'm not sure what you're saying.

My price tag for a human life is ∞.

Obviously I'm not some star eyed child, I know that's impossible. But you have to rage against the dying of the light.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on May 08, 2020, 03:30:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 08, 2020, 11:53:15 AM

Ok? I'm not sure what you're saying.

My price tag for a human life is ∞.

Obviously I'm not some star eyed child, I know that's impossible. But you have to rage against the dying of the light.

Then you are completely unfit to make decisions about safety.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.