And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 30, 2020, 01:38:25 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 01:30:13 PM
Can you provide links to where that information is being reported, Otto? I'm having a hard time finding any.

http://coronavirusapi.com/

is probably the best one stop shop for that sort of data.

Part of the issue with testing in the United States is the CDC tried to monopolize the process in early February, and then it shit the bed. Then when the disease had spread so much in the community, CDC just lacks the resources to scale up testing. So each of the 50 states is now doing testing in their own way, and in conjunction with private labs. This is part of how we've actually gotten more testing done, but it means our data reporting is fairly bad at this point. My quick take on it is CDC is fine at running tests for a small outbreak as part of contact tracing efforts, but once a disease has entered community spread phase all over the country, the CDC as an organization isn't set up to do massive testing like this, and the lack of institutional shift away from using CDC as the sole source of "approved" tests early is the biggest mistake we've made. Most of our lab infrastructure in the U.S., especially for stuff like sample testing, are not CDC labs, but a huge mixture of both public and private labs spread around universities and the 50 states.

That's shown on the link from the CDC.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 30, 2020, 01:43:54 PM
CDC data set is very incomplete fwiw, their total case count regularly lags the JHU data set by 20-30,000.

Every day since 3/24 the U.S. has reported more than 10,000 total new cases, several of those days we've reported over 15,000 new cases. That by itself should tell you how far off the CDC numbers are. According to JHU data set our confirmed cases grew by these amounts the last few days:

3/28: 19.4k
3/27: 19.8k
3/26: 17.8k
3/25: 18.1k

Now how are we getting that many confirmed cases per day if we only run 10,000 tests or fewer per day? Answer: we're running far more tests, especially when you realize at least some large chunk of tests come back negative, so we have to be testing significantly more than the number of new confirmed cases.

Except that as I understand it, a large number of those "confirmed" cases are based on symptoms, not testing.

OttoVonBismarck

The covid testing project showed 96,000 test results came back yesterday and 109,000 the day before that fwiw.

Our test rate per million is in the 2500-5000 range (WA being the only to hit 5000 so far), with it trending upwards in every state.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/26/us/coronavirus-testing-states.html

also has some good graphics.

FWIW I haven't seen new South Korean testing numbers in awhile, but when they were being touted as "tops in the world" they were testing around 3600/million, so WA state's 5000, New York State's 3300, NJ's 4000 are pretty good. I think a number of non-South Korea, OECD countries are doing quite poor in these metrics fwiw.

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 30, 2020, 01:49:31 PM
The covid testing project showed 96,000 test results came back yesterday and 109,000 the day before that fwiw.

Our test rate per million is in the 2500-5000 range (WA being the only to hit 5000 so far), with it trending upwards in every state.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/26/us/coronavirus-testing-states.html

also has some good graphics.

FWIW I haven't seen new South Korean testing numbers in awhile, but when they were being touted as "tops in the world" they were testing around 3600/million, so WA state's 5000, New York State's 3300, NJ's 4000 are pretty good. I think a number of non-South Korea, OECD countries are doing quite poor in these metrics fwiw.

That's incredibly helpful, thank you. As is the earlier link. I appreciate it.

It doesn't change my concerns, but it is really helpful to see that we're not as pathetic as we once were. :P

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2020, 01:45:11 PM
Another article to counter Trumpist Bullshit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/27/coronavirus-testing-us/

No one is spouting Trumpist bullshit here. What some of us are saying is you're a giant douche piece of shit, for jerking off to Canadian nationalist anti-American bullshit in the midst of a global epidemic in which thousands of people have died and many thousands more will die.

PDH

As OvB said the problem isn't that the USA isn't testing now, but rather the criminal lag in starting this.  The US rate should have been at this level 3 weeks ago and should have been growing each day from there.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 01:02:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2020, 11:57:45 AM

Umm, I don't personally know anyone named Dom (nor would I refer to my husband as my Dom). :D

That's Dominic Cummings that I meant, the would be Varys of the UK.

Oops! :blush: I don't know your husband's name, so assumed it was Dominic.

I thought he just had some woman come in and whip him from time to time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

There's also epidemiological issues with the U.S. response, much of it structurally related to us having 50 state governments. For example Maryland and Ohio are almost exclusively reporting positive test results only, with limited or no data on the number of negative results. The Covid tracking project has 9 states identified as only sharing "partial data sets" which clouds our ability to assess the numbers epidemiologically. Ohio's Department of Health had never previously required the reporting of total negative results for any prior infectious disease, so for weeks they've been doing tests in Ohio and we basically aren't collating the number of positives at all--the individual labs and the companies that own them might have that data, but it's not been collected by a centralized state resource and thus can't be tracked.

Barrister

Video has been circulating on Alberta-based social media which is titled Premier Kenney announces liquor stores to close... only to be a rickroll.

Kenney replied on Twitter 'ha this is very funny, but no were not closing liquor stores.  Go out and buy some locally made product!'

I'm curious - how many places have taken this step?  I can see legit health arguments against closing: don't want alcoholics going through withdrawal showing up in ERs, don't want health consequences of people trying to moonshine or whatever, but the other side is of course alcohol is not necessary for life, is another vector for transmission, and alcohol might just exacerbate the problem of people being cooped up in tight quarters for extended periods of time.

What's happening elsewhere?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

They've been declared essential shops in the UK  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Essential stores here in Alaska still open are Food, beer, weed, guns.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

OttoVonBismarck

So Pennsylvania is an ABC state and they shut theirs down. Virginia is also an ABC state as is Ohio, and theirs have stayed open.

OttoVonBismarck

Explainer for the foreigners--17 American states are "ABC" or "control" states, meaning the state government exercises some form of monopoly right over the sale of alchol.

To highlight the different schemes:

Ohio: Beer and Wine retail/wholesale is entirely privatized. Spirits are sold on-consignment through private dealers who must be licensed to operate a retail spirits store. Not a single bottle of liquor in the state of Ohio is sold from a private business to a consumer, the licensed stores order how much of a product they believe they will need, and it remains state property until sold, i.e. "on consignment", the proprietor gets to collect a consignment fee for moving it, but the state gets the wholesale/retail profit.

Pennsylvania: Beer is now privatized and sold at private retail locations. "Malt beverages" and wine can be sold in limited quantities "carry out" by hotels, restaurants, and other licenses, wine is limited to like 3 L and beer is limited to like a 12 pack. All liquor is sold in state owned and run stores, so every liquor store in the state of Pennsylvania is staffed by government employees, there are no private liquor stores.

Virginia: The state licenses retailers on an individual basis to sell wine and beer, all distilled spirits are sold in state owned "ABC" stores.