Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

It is just the way their minds work.

crazy canuck

Yeah I saw some of that on my Twitter feed - UK Police using drones to watch people going on secluded walks and then posting PSAs using the footage as examples as violations

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2020, 02:45:57 PM
Yeah I saw some of that on my Twitter feed - UK Police using drones to watch people going on secluded walks and then posting PSAs using the footage as examples as violations
That was Derbyshire Police. I can only imagine they looked at the rich esteem and respect neighbouring Yorkshire forces are held in and decided they wanted a bit of that too <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

All non-essential activity to cease in Spain until 9th April.

Staff should continue being paid. Those who cannot WFH you will have to work the lost time later in the year. Not sure what happens with temporary layoff schemes (I was to be part of one).

Tamas

Thing is, if you say having a few people go touristy in remoter areas is ok, you'll have thousands there in no time. This is exactly what happened when the National Trust made their parks free, hoping to give people a chance to get some fresh air without piling up on each other - everyone took advantage of it and ended up crowding the places.

So while of course police is going to be arseholish about it, overall its the right approach.

Malthus

I've been doing my walks in the local cemetery near my house - I've always enjoyed cemeteries as green spaces.

Hardly anyone there (above ground, that is). People are not using the cemeteries more for walks, despite the emergency. You can easily walk for miles without running in to anyone.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on March 28, 2020, 04:14:10 PM
I've been doing my walks in the local cemetery near my house - I've always enjoyed cemeteries as green spaces.

Hardly anyone there (above ground, that is). People are not using the cemeteries more for walks, despite the emergency. You can easily walk for miles without running in to anyone.

Great thinking, batman. :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Went to the grocery store today.

TP shelves were positively overflowing.

Chicken, which had been bare a few days ago, was stocked.

Flour - the normal shelves were looking sparse.  No all purpose, just a few oddball flours.  BUT a couple rows over were whole pallets of all purpose flour.

Hot dogs were oddly sparse.

Only thing consistently out of stock has been disinfecting wipes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

You would enjoy the Vienna Central Cemetery. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Central_Cemetery
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on March 28, 2020, 03:22:15 PM

Thing is, if you say having a few people go touristy in remoter areas is ok, you'll have thousands there in no time. This is exactly what happened when the National Trust made their parks free, hoping to give people a chance to get some fresh air without piling up on each other - everyone took advantage of it and ended up crowding the places.

So while of course police is going to be arseholish about it, overall its the right approach.

I can see where Shelf is coming from and your point of view. I don't know what a good compromise.

My own dilemma is I live 1 mile from a national park, the New Forest, so do I take a bit or exercise in it and risk police shaming or do authorities let people use it and find it overwhelmed with people coming from all over Southern England, with dangers that'll have?

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2020, 05:11:51 PM

You would enjoy the Vienna Central Cemetery. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Central_Cemetery

I would indeed!

It was one of my plans to go to Vienna in the end of summer, and that cemetery was on the List.

Sadly, it will likely not be happening.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 28, 2020, 05:20:03 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 28, 2020, 03:22:15 PM

I can see where Shelf is coming from and your point of view. I don't know what a good compromise.
This?

QuoteMy own dilemma is I live 1 mile from a national park, the New Forest, so do I take a bit or exercise in it and risk police shaming or do authorities let people use it and find it overwhelmed with people coming from all over Southern England, with dangers that'll have?
Yeah. This weekend is the test because this is after we've been given clear instructions, not advice, by the government and instead of mother's day it's the weekend the clocks go forward (the nadir of the year :weep:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2020, 04:58:34 PM
Went to the grocery store today.

TP shelves were positively overflowing.

Chicken, which had been bare a few days ago, was stocked.

Flour - the normal shelves were looking sparse.  No all purpose, just a few oddball flours.  BUT a couple rows over were whole pallets of all purpose flour.

Hot dogs were oddly sparse.

Only thing consistently out of stock has been disinfecting wipes.

Yeast?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Tamas