And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 01:08:30 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 01:04:30 PM
My life expectancy is probably about 40 years. If this lasts 6 months, that is over 1% of my remaining life expectancy, and the most valuable part of it (considering my health will be declining going forward).

I put the value of living my life like this at absolute 0.

The math looks reasonable to me.

Do you promise not to call 911 if things go sideways?

I didn't think that was part of the deal. I thought the deal was that low risk people get infected voluntarily and then in a few weeks there is increased "herd immunity."

I would still sign up for that plan with your condition but I think others would keep me from doing it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Seems relevant to Yi's point.

QuoteSteven Dick, the deputy head of mission at the British embassy in Budapest, passed away on Tuesday after testing positive for the COVID-19 disease.

The Foreign Office said staff were "deeply saddened" by the death of the 37-year-old from the coronavirus, and his parents said he had been "very happy representing our country overseas".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-steven-dick-british-embassy-diplomat-in-budapest-dies-from-covid-19-11963640
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 01:16:26 PMI didn't think that was part of the deal. I thought the deal was that low risk people get infected voluntarily and then in a few weeks there is increased "herd immunity."

Herd immunity is usually only spoken of in vaccination programs. To get a theoretical herd immunity 60-70% of the entire nation would have to get the bug. Shave off 1-2% of the total population outright and an extra 5-6% who die because they can't be hospitalized and yeah it's not very feasible. You'd be too busy mourning friends and relatives to get much done.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2020, 01:23:05 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 01:16:26 PMI didn't think that was part of the deal. I thought the deal was that low risk people get infected voluntarily and then in a few weeks there is increased "herd immunity."

Herd immunity is usually only spoken of in vaccination programs. To get a theoretical herd immunity 60-70% of the entire nation would have to get the bug. Shave off 1-2% of the total population outright and an extra 5-6% who die because they can't be hospitalized and yeah it's not very feasible. You'd be too busy mourning friends and relatives to get much done.

It seems we are going to get there, or governments are being alarmist with how many people will be infected.

I don't have them at hand, but even in the worst off case of Italy, the mortality rate for those under 60 is not large.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Fate

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 01:32:04 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 25, 2020, 01:23:05 PM

It seems we are going to get there, or governments are being alarmist with how many people will be infected.

I don't have them at hand, but even in the worst off case of Italy, the mortality rate for those under 60 is not large.

If all of the US's 20-50 year olds got sick at the same time there would be thousands of deaths because there aren't enough resources available to save them. Hospitalization rates for young people are still very high and the rate of intubation is also very high.

I won't be suprised if retrospective analysis of Italian death rates is 2x higher than what we originally saw because thousands will have died of preventable non-COVID causes due to an overwhelmed system and not directly of COVID-19. In addition there are a lot of people in Italy who die before they reach the hospital so they don't get labeled COVID-19 because no test was run on them. Don't rest your laurels on what we see today. One day we'll be looking at dreadful "excess mortality" rates for the period of December 2019 - July 2020 versus the same timeframe in the previous few years and realize the true scope of this disaster.

Iormlund

Quote from: alfred russel on March 25, 2020, 01:16:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 01:08:30 PM
Do you promise not to call 911 if things go sideways?
I didn't think that was part of the deal. I thought the deal was that low risk people get infected voluntarily and then in a few weeks there is increased "herd immunity."
doing it.

That would work a month ago. But with a collapsed healthcare system, if you don't sign you'll simply kill someone else who gets knocked off the ventilator list. Or someone else from the party will.

fromtia

Well, small sliver of good economic news for the 5 of us who are currently unemployed/furloughed here in the US. (Assuming you are here in the US).The package that got through yesterday includes a fairly serious bit of turbo charging to Unemployment - an additional check of $600 a week from the federal government , for a duration of 4 months tacked on to whatever you are getting from your state. That is a serious and substantial piece of assistance to the people who are actually going to need it, much better than McConnells advance on next years tax refund. For me that will mean being able to eat, not foreclosing on my house, and having a shot at preserving my savings so that when I hopefully return to work (and I think four months is about right, might be optimistic) I wont be trying to dig myself out of a too deep hole.

There was a moment there a few days ago, when Satsuma Shickelgruber was talking about everyone going back to work, and the Republican plan for working stiffs was a sharpened human bone (you had to pay them back for that) and directions to the local fighting pit, that I was starting to have a moment of despair.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 01:54:41 PM
Well, small sliver of good economic news for the 5 of us who are currently unemployed/furloughed here in the US. (Assuming you are here in the US).The package that got through yesterday includes a fairly serious bit of turbo charging to Unemployment - an additional check of $600 a week from the federal government , for a duration of 4 months tacked on to whatever you are getting from your state. That is a serious and substantial piece of assistance to the people who are actually going to need it, much better than McConnells advance on next years tax refund. For me that will mean being able to eat, not foreclosing on my house, and having a shot at preserving my savings so that when I hopefully return to work (and I think four months is about right, might be optimistic) I wont be trying to dig myself out of a too deep hole.

There was a moment there a few days ago, when Satsuma Shickelgruber was talking about everyone going back to work, and the Republican plan for working stiffs was a sharpened human bone (you had to pay them back for that) and directions to the local fighting pit, that I was starting to have a moment of despair.

And people who are still working, like the poor schlubs at the grocery store, get nothing?? That will be a disaster.

fromtia

A little further back in the thread, I think Josephus was talking about how crushing reading/watching events can be. I agree wholeheartedly. I have most often felt a bit like George Clooney in Syriana, tied to a chair, having his fingernails pulled out. This is awful and surreal. So try and take a break, when you can.

The highlight of my day today was an unplanned conference call with my unemployed colleagues, spiffy polished waiters, no longer crisp and groomed, but bearded, umkempt and in our jammies. We had so much fun catching up that we decided that tomorrow at 4pm we are going to have virtual line up* , in uniform (but not pants, just the top half, vests and ties).

Feckless gossip and scandal being the meat and drink of any restaurant conversation, I must alert you all to the news that Frank and Jenna have broken up and Frank has gone off on a wild cavort with the notorious Michaela. Furthermore, booze soaked bar back Jared has now taken up with Jenna! omfg! etc etc!

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:01:59 PM

And people who are still working, like the poor schlubs at the grocery store, get nothing?? That will be a disaster.

how so?

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:01:59 PM
Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 01:54:41 PM

The priority of this bill is to slow the spread by keeping those who can't work at home in their home. Essential workers, even the guy at the grocery store, aren't getting shafted because they too benefit by the medical system not collapsing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 25, 2020, 02:03:23 PM
how so?

Because they could make more money by being fired than they could by facing a daily threat of contagion.  600 a week *on top* of regular UI is a shitload of money in some parts of the country.

Details from WSJ:

QuoteThe legislation will provide for one-time checks worth $1,200 to many individual Americans and $2,400 to married couples, with $500 extra for each child, with the assistance capped above certain income levels, according to lawmakers. Unlike the original Republican proposal, those payments will not decrease for low-income Americans, staying flat for eligible individuals and couples.

Those payments would be in addition to a broad expansion in unemployment benefits, which would be extended to nontraditional employees, including gig workers and freelancers, that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) had pushed for, according to a Democratic aide familiar with the negotiations. The agreement is also set to increase current unemployment assistance by $600 a week for four months.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:07:25 PM
how so?

Because they could make more money by being fired than they could by facing a daily threat of contagion.  600 a week *on top* of regular UI is a shitload of money in some parts of the country.

Details from WSJ:

QuoteThe legislation will provide for one-time checks worth $1,200 to many individual Americans and $2,400 to married couples, with $500 extra for each child, with the assistance capped above certain income levels, according to lawmakers. Unlike the original Republican proposal, those payments will not decrease for low-income Americans, staying flat for eligible individuals and couples.

Those payments would be in addition to a broad expansion in unemployment benefits, which would be extended to nontraditional employees, including gig workers and freelancers, that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) had pushed for, according to a Democratic aide familiar with the negotiations. The agreement is also set to increase current unemployment assistance by $600 a week for four months.

You don't get UI if you quit or are fired for cause. You have to be laid off. No grocery store is going to lay people off today.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on March 25, 2020, 02:08:30 PM
You don't get UI if you quit. You have to be laid off. No grocery store is going to lay people off today.

Exactly.  It's tantamount to slave labor.  It's like war time conscription, except you get paid shit and people sitting at home get a bonus.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2020, 02:07:25 PM
how so?

Details from WSJ:

That's an interesting notion. I wouldn't quit a job to go on unemployement. Cant imagine anyone working at Costco or Publix would either. Is Wal Mart still paying poverty wages and having classes on how to get benefits? Perhaps some people in those jobs might? Seems a bit of a stretch Yi. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures, no?