News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 05:04:24 PM
I haven't done any public assistance, unemployment or anything like that yet.

Why not?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 05:02:28 PM
I assumed that someone in, say, Fromagia's position would think I'm fucked and my place of work is fucked, but after this is over let's get back to work.

But I do kinda see your POV now that you're spelled it out.  Maybe laid off workers will be furious they weren't paid while the company was shut down.

On the other hand, why would they be less furious if Uncle Sam paid them while the company was shut down, but passed it through the company?
Because in case a - before they know how they're going to get paid they get an email from their boss telling them they're fired but make sure to come back after all this blows over kthxbye; in case b - they get an email from their boss saying they're valued employees and for their own safety the company has decided not to make them come to work, they will continue to be paid (possibly at a reduced rate) until this all blows over - we're all in this together.

I think there's a difference in how you feel in those situations.

Unrelated - baffled by this:
QuoteTrump job approval, Monmouth Poll

Approve 46% (+2 since Feb.)
Disapprove 48% (-2 since Feb.)

Regarding coronavirus response

Good job 50%
Bad job 45%
Wut? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I'm confused by your time scale Shelf.  Fromagia has already been told not to come in.  The UBI bill hasn't been passed yet.  His employer can't write that warm, caring, parental email now because it's after the fact.

Eddie Teach

It's the natural tendency to support the President in times of crisis.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 05:10:07 PM
I'm confused by your time scale Shelf.  Fromagia has already been told not to come in.  The UBI bill hasn't been passed yet.  His employer can't write that warm, caring, parental email now because it's after the fact.
Yes - I mean they can choose not to write the first email until they know what's going to happen to their staff.

But in most of Northern Europe the state is guaranteeing a big chunk of people's wages, so people are getting the second email. It seems more likely they'll have employees coming back when there's a recovery than employers who just fired people.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2020, 04:47:32 PM
I think its probably a case of having a conclusion and making the statistics match it.

You'll have more cases in population centres and those will have higher pollution.

Like I said, it's a preliminary report.  the study is still on-going and the researchers have admitted that.  I unfortunately do not read italian, so I can not judge on the study itself.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2020, 03:46:16 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 23, 2020, 03:44:14 PM
So I still have to ask, based on the current rate of death in most countries aside from Italy, is there a chance this is just kind of going to peter out and ultimately be a lot less serious than say, a seasonal flu? I've been pretty serious at batting down the Covid denialists I interact with, but the reality is we have a really high case rate now in the United States for example and a mortality rate that is not growing very quickly at all.

You have 41,000 cases and 573 deaths, which is a little over the 1% mortality rate that's been predicted.

Italy was up at like 8% at one point.

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2020, 03:50:04 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 23, 2020, 03:44:14 PM
So I still have to ask, based on the current rate of death in most countries aside from Italy, is there a chance this is just kind of going to peter out and ultimately be a lot less serious than say, a seasonal flu? I've been pretty serious at batting down the Covid denialists I interact with, but the reality is we have a really high case rate now in the United States for example and a mortality rate that is not growing very quickly at all.

For the upteenth time, it is not "just" about the death rate. That death rate is for the time when you still can care for everyone who needs ICU treatment. There are a whole lot of people who would die without intensive medical help, as they get serious pneumonia and their lungs slowly fill up with liquid and they suffocate.

There are also people who in case of a health system overload would need ICU treatment for any of the 120 other reasons but would not have a free bed.

Are we seeing that though? Most of the country seems perfectly fine. NYC is disproportionately a lot of cases, I'm not sure given the suburban/rural nature of much of the rest of the country that this is going to propagate out to the degree people had projected.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 05:06:18 PM

Why not?

We closed down Friday. Waiting to see if we get 14 days of sick pay (probably not) or a termination letter. Management team is trying to figure out what the best thing to do for their employees is, may very well be the termination letter. Also, quite a lot of people in FL became unemployed at the same time on Friday. Initial reports are that phones/website/whatever for unemployment are practically non functional.

Just sort of playing wait and see. Looking for a warehouse/driving job with a grocery or amazon but there's not many and I think all the other waiters are doing the same thing :lol:
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Tamas

QuoteAre we seeing that though? Most of the country seems perfectly fine. NYC is disproportionately a lot of cases, I'm not sure given the suburban/rural nature of much of the rest of the country that this is going to propagate out to the degree people had projected.

You sound like an English time traveller from two weeks ago.

Iormlund

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 23, 2020, 05:18:05 PM
Are we seeing that though? Most of the country seems perfectly fine. NYC is disproportionately a lot of cases, I'm not sure given the suburban/rural nature of much of the rest of the country that this is going to propagate out to the degree people had projected.

It doesn't matter. As soon as 1% of your population is infected the healthcare system will implode. Logically, it'll probably be in NYC rather than Bumfuck, Arkansas. So far and with the only exception of the origin (Wuhan) the virus has hit the richest metropolitan areas the hardest.

garbon

Oh good, Sports Direct suggesting their staff should be considered key workers...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Mike Ashley really cementing his place as a national treasure.

Waterstones and Smiths have tried it too :bleeding: :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 05:27:18 PM
We closed down Friday. Waiting to see if we get 14 days of sick pay (probably not) or a termination letter. Management team is trying to figure out what the best thing to do for their employees is, may very well be the termination letter. Also, quite a lot of people in FL became unemployed at the same time on Friday. Initial reports are that phones/website/whatever for unemployment are practically non functional.

Just sort of playing wait and see. Looking for a warehouse/driving job with a grocery or amazon but there's not many and I think all the other waiters are doing the same thing :lol:

Don't know how it goes in Florida, but up here you have to file for UI in the same week you're claiming benefits for.  I.e.  you can't sit around for three weeks and then apply for three weeks of back dated UI.  FYI

I think I read the emergency sick leave was only for people who are sick or caring for a sick person.

I'm personally banking on that sweet universal basic income handout from my dear friend Mitch McConnell.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 05:49:22 PM

I'm personally banking on that sweet universal basic income handout from my dear friend Mitch McConnell.

That's going to be one check, for people who earn between 25,000 and 75,000 more or less, and it seems like its sort of an advance on next years tax refund or something. so not basic income.

fromtia

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2020, 05:49:22 PM

Did your work get shuttered?