Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2020, 01:55:27 PM
WTF is he doing :bleeding:

Apparently people across the world are rushing to stockpile these drugs now... <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fate

1 month from now Trump is going to be getting into the weeds where the paper says the result shows the drug doesn't provide a statistically significant benefit but some subgroup of a subgroup trends to significance and he'll claim victory. The press doesn't know how report of medical studies so it's going to be a complete shit show of competing claims.

Admiral Yi

Donald missed his true calling, televangelist.

How many people would you be willing to see die in order for the object lesson to sink in?

Josephus

Ontario to announce enforced shutdown of non-essential businesses as of midnight tomorrow
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

I think he is very ready to declare the crisis over in a couple of weeks, rather than see any more bad economic numbers.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

We are still 20K cases behind Italy, Donald wants America to WIN
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Fate

Quote from: Zoupa on March 23, 2020, 12:19:06 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 23, 2020, 11:42:58 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 22, 2020, 10:46:53 PM
I've tested positive. :frog:

Not much symptoms. A little cough now and then, fever treated with acetaminophen/paracetamol.

No symptoms from my wife. I hope they disinfected with the non-existent alcohol at work...
prompt rétablissement!

Does your wife need to isolate herself too?

Yes. So her parents have been dropping us food. Bless them, but they buy the weirdest shit  :glare:

So we call the Covid phone number daily as instructed to give updates on my condition (I feel like a superstar lol "I feel ok, my temp is fine".)

What I'm not clear about is let's say my wife gets it (likely), on a delayed schedule compared to me. Then she goes through the 14 days. Do I still need to isolate, even though I probably developped antibodies by that time? I'm assuming yes, since my clothes etc can carry this thing, but I don't know how likely this is. The folks at the phone number don't really know. I know the virus lives on surfaces for a couple of hours.

Fate?

The Chinese would segregate families so no one would get cross-infected in the home. If you were positive but had a relatively minor case you'd go to the COVID convalescence ward that housed all the other minor cases and you'd have to stay there until you tested negative.

Given that you're going to probably have the virus on your skin/clothes constantly if she gets ill then I'd stay away from the outside world until she tests negative on PCR nasopharyngeal swab. Hopefully she doesn't get it. Try to use your own bathroom & bedroom, wear a mask if possible, both of you wash your hands frequently, keep cleaning any commonly touched surfaces, don't let her touch your clothes or do your laundry, etc.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on March 23, 2020, 02:09:46 PM
Ontario to announce enforced shutdown of non-essential businesses as of midnight tomorrow
Same here.  I'm shutting down.  Trying to get some financial help somewhere.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Threviel

Apparently there's been a disproportionate number of deaths among Swedish-Somalis. The theory is that they live closer in on each other with often several generations in the same apartment.

A lot of Swedish infections and mist serious cases stem from tourism in the Alps. I imagine that very few Swedish-Somalis do that kind of tourism.

viper37

There's a preliminary story by italian researchers establishing a link between pollution and the spread the virus.  Seems like the virus would traval within microscopic particules of pollution to infect other people.  I have posted the link below, in italian, for the benefit of our resident italien members.

the results are very preliminary, but they would explain why Lombardia had such a rapid and very high infection rate, as the region is known to have a lot of these floating particles.

Link
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2020, 03:34:09 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2020, 02:13:13 PM

We are still 20K cases behind Italy, Donald wants America to WIN

People are poising themselves taking these medications... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-21/nigeria-reports-chloroquine-poisonings-after-trump-praised-drug

Fucking Donald Trump.  The problem is most people do get better from Covid without any drugs (since we don't have any).  It's going to take a lot of testing to determine if these drugs are any more effective than a placebo.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

UK is now on lockdown, sorta. Still can go to work and shop essentials. But non-essential shops are now closed, places of worship closed, gathering of more than 2 people not in the same household are banned, one outside exercise per day allowed.