News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fromtia

Whats the news from Italy? Are they starting to level off?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Fate

Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 09:39:24 AM

I think they release their data daily at 17:00 or 18:00. Gonna be 1-2 hrs. Sunday was slight better than Saturday, but it's too soon to tell.

fromtia

Quote from: Fate on March 23, 2020, 09:48:41 AM
Quote from: fromtia on March 23, 2020, 09:39:24 AM

I think they release their data daily at 17:00 or 18:00. Gonna be 1-2 hrs. Sunday was slight better than Saturday, but it's too soon to tell.

Fingers crossed.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Legbiter

Italy should peak in the next few days. The virus will start going extinct.

Btw, I could spend the next month watching this, Italian mayors enforcing lockdown.  :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJeRgjlLaZk

Beautiful.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on March 23, 2020, 10:05:03 AM

Btw, I could spend the next month watching this, Italian mayors enforcing lockdown.  :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJeRgjlLaZk

Beautiful.

That's awesome  :lol: Every one of these mayors have more balls than Boris Johnson.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on March 23, 2020, 10:05:03 AM

Beautiful.

Is that the mayor of Bergamo?

I saw him on the news last night, he has two daughters studying in the England, but so worried is he about the UK, that he's organising for them to come back home. That's to the european epicentre, which he now reckons is safer. :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on March 23, 2020, 10:32:08 AMIs that the mayor of Bergamo?

I saw him on the news last night, he has two daughters studying in the England, but so worried is he about the UK, that he's organising for them to come back home. That's to the european epicentre, which he now reckons is safer. :hmm:

Many countries will go through their own Italian-style curve. It will utterly crush the world economy unless we figure out how to keep the lights on. Entire nations will have to set up WW II-style emergency manufacturing of protective gear and tests. We need a moonshot effort at a vaccine. The cost of not "overreacting" with border closures back in February compared to the efforts required now to avert total ruin will sting. Our people should be accorded some grace for not turning into hyper-paranoid reclusives overnight, we've not faced anything like this since the Spanish flu.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2020, 03:54:57 AM
Besides taking out the trash, I've been out of the house 3 times since the quarantine began. One of the most eerie sights, besides the empty streets in what normally was a coastal town - is the fact that each and every time I've been on the street I have spotted an ambulance parked in front of some apartment block, lights on, EMTs rushing inside. I try not to think about the many tragic stories that are happening in those blocks so close to mine, but sometimes it's difficult.

Fuck you, SARS-CoV-2

Went to the plant for the first time since the lockdown started. I saw 3 ambulances, sirens blazing, in the less than 10 minutes it took me to get home from the edge of the city (very light traffic).

The Larch

Take care Zoups! Practice uttering a massive "I TOLD YOU SO!" to your boss whenever possible.  :P

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Camerus

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on March 23, 2020, 10:56:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2020, 03:54:57 AM
Besides taking out the trash, I've been out of the house 3 times since the quarantine began. One of the most eerie sights, besides the empty streets in what normally was a coastal town - is the fact that each and every time I've been on the street I have spotted an ambulance parked in front of some apartment block, lights on, EMTs rushing inside. I try not to think about the many tragic stories that are happening in those blocks so close to mine, but sometimes it's difficult.

Fuck you, SARS-CoV-2

Went to the plant for the first time since the lockdown started. I saw 3 ambulances, sirens blazing, in the less than 10 minutes it took me to get home from the edge of the city (very light traffic).

Thanks for those two informative, but very grim snapshots of the life to come for most countries.

Sheilbh

In slightly positive news over 7,500 recently retired clinicians (so I assume nurses, doctors and others) have signed up to return to work :w00t:

This reminds me of an NHS consultant I used to see for a rheumatology issue I have. He is in his sixties and very much the image of a consultant: smart grey side-parting, houndstooth shirt, conservative striped tie etc.

He was I think coincidentally in West Africa giving lectures as a very experienced rheumatologist when ebola broke out. He ended up staying in Sierra Leone for months helping with British aid efforts.

He retired after that, but gave lots of lectures on his experience at various medical schools in the UK. I would not be surprised if he's returning to work.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on March 22, 2020, 10:46:53 PM
I've tested positive. :frog:

Not much symptoms. A little cough now and then, fever treated with acetaminophen/paracetamol.

No symptoms from my wife. I hope they disinfected with the non-existent alcohol at work...
prompt rétablissement!

Does your wife need to isolate herself too?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2020, 11:41:52 AM
In slightly positive news over 7,500 recently retired clinicians (so I assume nurses, doctors and others) have signed up to return to work :w00t:

This reminds me of an NHS consultant I used to see for a rheumatology issue I have. He is in his sixties and very much the image of a consultant: smart grey side-parting, houndstooth shirt, conservative striped tie etc.

He was I think coincidentally in West Africa giving lectures as a very experienced rheumatologist when ebola broke out. He ended up staying in Sierra Leone for months helping with British aid efforts.

He retired after that, but gave lots of lectures on his experience at various medical schools in the UK. I would not be surprised if he's returning to work.

The very bedrock of a decent society.

Contrast that with people who wish to carry on doing whatever they want, regardless of the social and medical consequences.