Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on March 20, 2020, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 05:05:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArFkmmGRkZQ

Spring Breakers continue to party like it's 1999.

That's been in the news almost every night here (Daytona and Clearwater have similar crowds as Miami Beach.)  Some places in Florida have tried to restrict beach access by shutting down parking lots; but so far no one has closed beaches (yet).

While the beaches still aren't closed; the governor did announce that there would be a $500 fine for open bottle on the beach and $500 fine for parking in a shut down beach lot.   The former, at least, should slow spring break down.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Fate

Quote from: Savonarola on March 21, 2020, 11:40:17 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 20, 2020, 11:04:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 05:05:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArFkmmGRkZQ

Spring Breakers continue to party like it's 1999.

That's been in the news almost every night here (Daytona and Clearwater have similar crowds as Miami Beach.)  Some places in Florida have tried to restrict beach access by shutting down parking lots; but so far no one has closed beaches (yet).

While the beaches still aren't closed; the governor did announce that there would be a $500 fine for open bottle on the beach and $500 fine for parking in a shut down beach lot.   The former, at least, should slow spring break down.

What's the point of a fine when no one has any income? And no courts to enforce it.

merithyn

Interesting video from Italians, ostensibly to their past selves but really a message to current Americans and UK folks, I'd think. Especially the idiots on Florida beaches.

https://youtu.be/o_cImRzKXOs
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2020, 10:28:14 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 21, 2020, 04:44:22 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2020, 10:53:50 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 20, 2020, 08:59:43 PM
There are no healthy obese people, DG.

:rolleyes:

Obesity is a medical condition. There's a direct correlation with life expectancy.

Correlation is not causation.
Most misused and misunderstood concept in statistics.  This saying probably leads to more damage than the original mistake of confusing correlation with causation.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2020, 11:10:47 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2020, 10:41:39 AM
Obesity doesn't just mean overweight.

Obesity is by definition a chronic medical condition.  There is by definition no such thing as a heathy obese person.

No, obesity doesn't mean overweight.

Overweight means BMI > 25
Obese means BMI > 30

By definition.

Neither guarantees bad health, although as pointed out, they are correlated.  There absolutely is such a thing as a healthy obese person.  Statistically though, an obese person is less likely to be healthy than a person of normal weight.

Not sure you actually read my post.

Obesity is in fact a chronic disease.

Legbiter

Quarantine the fattie cope somewhere else lads. Let's keep this thread to update each other.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2020, 11:57:17 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 21, 2020, 11:10:47 AM

Obesity is by definition a chronic medical condition.  There is by definition no such thing as a heathy obese person.

No, obesity doesn't mean overweight.

Overweight means BMI > 25
Obese means BMI > 30

By definition.

Neither guarantees bad health, although as pointed out, they are correlated.  There absolutely is such a thing as a healthy obese person.  Statistically though, an obese person is less likely to be healthy than a person of normal weight.

Not sure you actually read my post.

Obesity is in fact a chronic disease.

Yes, by which definition I am obese. :)

merithyn

Quote from: Legbiter on March 21, 2020, 12:00:13 PM
Quarantine the fattie cope somewhere else lads. Let's keep this thread to update each other.

:yes:

DGuller

That's a meaningless tautology.  You can define having a broken nail as a disease, and thus by definition no one with a broken nail is a healthy person.  The utility of such definitions for discussing risks of complications from COVID-19 is limited.

mongers

Trump was doing so well in his press conference, but when he got to mentioning the virus he slightly paused and couldn't resist naming it the Chinese virus*, you could he his health guy Fasci (sp?) drop his head a bit in disappointment.

*I'm assuming his briefing notes/speech might say Corona-virus or COVID-19, but that he changes it.Though knowing him he's probably mandated that it'll be referred to as the Chinese disease/virus in all government comms? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 12:15:07 PM
Trump was doing so well in his press conference, but when he got to mentioning the virus he slightly paused and couldn't resist naming it the Chinese virus*, you could he his health guy Fasci (sp?) drop his head a bit in disappointment.

*I'm assuming his briefing notes/speech might say Corona-virus or COVID-19, but that he changes it.Though knowing him he's probably mandated that it'll be referred to as the Chinese disease/virus in all government comms? :unsure:

Which is this one? Has he had a new one?

Fate

I think most people would be fine if he shifted to calling it the Wuhan China virus. I think it would be useful in rallying world support to condemn China for their complicity in this outbreak.

Don't make this about an ethnicity. Would we really tolerate a leader calling a virus that arose from Israel the Jewish virus?

Fate

Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 12:15:07 PM

His staff call it the Corona Virus in the prepared text. He's changing it to Chinese.

Legbiter

Quote from: Fate on March 21, 2020, 12:18:53 PM
I think most people would be fine if he shifted to calling it the Wuhan China virus.

The foreign Chinese virus  :hmm:  ;) Brand the fact this came from China on their foreheads now that the commies are trying to shift it away from themselves.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Fate

793 new deaths today in Italy, total now 4,825.

6,557 new cases today, total now 53,578.