And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2020, 12:51:36 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2020, 11:10:30 AM
Data from the Catalan Department of Labor: 152,000 people have lost employment *in the past week*. Registered unemployment in Catalonia was 359,000 people total at the end of February.

I expect overall Spanish data to be equally terrifying.

It was 79,000 between Monday and Wednesday in Austria.

Make that 97,500 as of today. For a small country like Austria, that's a tremendous amount. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Just went shopping. There were no gallons of milk, bell peppers, banana nut muffins, or blueberry bagels. #first world problems
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

I had to buy an organic gallon of milk for damn near $6 instead of my usual cheap stuff.  :yuk:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Issues with the British Press #978: BBC anchor discussing that the situation in London is worse: "So if the situation in London is worse, does that mean that people should leave London?"

Really unhelpful :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2020, 12:44:37 PMAlso as someone with temporarily limited mobility I was using the supermarkets to get a big shop once a week. Now I can't get any deliveries so have to go every couple of days to the local shops which is not ideal given that it's fair to say that Lidl has fallen :(

Can't you claim some sort of assistance for this? Over here some supermarket chains only do delivery for vulnerable groups nowadays.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 20, 2020, 02:35:00 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2020, 12:44:37 PMAlso as someone with temporarily limited mobility I was using the supermarkets to get a big shop once a week. Now I can't get any deliveries so have to go every couple of days to the local shops which is not ideal given that it's fair to say that Lidl has fallen :(

Can't you claim some sort of assistance for this? Over here some supermarket chains only do delivery for vulnerable groups nowadays.
It's a gripe rather than a real issue - I'm vulnerable enough to take up the time of the people who need it.

And on examination of my cupboards it seems I've been hoarding: anchovies, tinned tomatoes and pasta for, apparently, years without really noticing :ph34r:

It's just a bit frustrating to see so much carelessness for the wider community :(

On another note - given the different administrations involved (Tory, Labour, SNP and Northern Irish) it's impressive how well all of the four nations have kept in step and no-one tried to gazump things for political benefit. I'm pleasantly surprised that they all decided to act like grown ups.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on March 20, 2020, 12:10:47 PM
No meds, no treatments. Just rest and stay home for 14 days.
There are no real meds.  Tylenol (acetaminophen/paracetamol) can help alleviate some of the symptoms, but it won't make them disapear.
Aside that, everything else is experimental.
And given the state of Italy's hospitals, if she can still walk and breath by herself, they'll leave her home to treat the worst cases.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 20, 2020, 12:29:48 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 20, 2020, 11:24:23 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 20, 2020, 06:06:32 AM
I was, with great surprise on my part, authorized to work from home. You see, I am Test Tech & I work on all projects my work division does. I brought my lab home with me.
So, all those games on Steam, with early access, where we mere peons pay, you get to play them AND getting paid for it?  Damn.  I knew I missed something in life! :P
(just kidding :) I signed up for a few betas here&there, I'm actually happy I wasn't selected for the last ones )

Sadly, not really, I haven't work in gaming in 12 years. I make machine vision cameras.
Oh, that's boring :(
But if it pays better/offers more stability/better life-work conciliation, so much the better :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 20, 2020, 12:40:28 PM
I know the USA wants to be seen has a Personal freedom heaven but I doubt that in the end of a economy destroying pandemic you will have to pay anything for the care.
Yes, we all know how reasonable the Republican Party is on this.

The only chance they have of not getting stuck with the bill is if the Democrats win both houses and the White House.

Even then, there would be the small problems of all the courts being packed with Republican loyalists, it could make matters tricky if a particular law is contested.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2020, 02:19:27 PM
I had to buy an organic gallon of milk for damn near $6 instead of my usual cheap stuff.  :yuk:

Even the oat milk was cleaned out.  How am I supposed to drink my coffee now?  :mad:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 20, 2020, 04:38:13 PM
Even the oat milk was cleaned out.  How am I supposed to drink my coffee now?  :mad:

Black, like a real man.

viper37

First case of possible community transmission in the province.
Health worker who didn't travel and hasn't been in contact with someone travelling has tested positive to covid-19 after experiencing symptoms.  Health authorities are now tracking everyone he has been in contact with to place them in isolation.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on March 20, 2020, 12:12:35 PM
My employer is expecting me to come to work tonight, just got off the daily call. Trying to balance being sympathetic to the managers, who have found themselves suddenly doing a weird balancing act, with my desire to yell at them for being, in my opinion, reckless and ill informed. I strongly suspect that a number of them are still very much in the "its an internet panic" camp. Some of the official employer messaging on Hotschedules seems shaded by that.

Its been a great job, great income, love my colleagues and hope very much to return to normal in six months or so, but Im a bit frustrated with how behind the curve they are. Dont get me sick you fuckers its a $35,000 hospital bill or worse and also, small national and worldwide emergency going on requiring group participation to mitigate - have you not noticed? :mad:

My former mother in law dropped off a box of food. Very sweet. Also offered to help with my mortgage if I get into trouble (shes rather well off). Bless her.

I've been playing civ 5 mostly. Animal Crossing: New Horizons dropped last night, so gf has disappeared under a blanket on the couch for the next 5 weeks at least.

Yes, big decision, but it is within the shadow caste by a once in a century global event.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fromtia

Well, I drove to work and while I was on the freeway Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) FL closed all dine in restaurant operations in the state. Got me out of my predicament. Popped in, said goodbye (at safe distance) to my colleagues and went home again. Sincerely hoping its there to go back to in six months.  :cry:
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2020, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 20, 2020, 12:07:27 PM
I am probably the only Languishite who has never learned how to drive.
Me too :)

I really hope people get a grip soon...

If not, at least I book a 9am-10am slot...
Also as someone with temporarily limited mobility I was using the supermarkets to get a big shop once a week. Now I can't get any deliveries so have to go every couple of days to the local shops which is not ideal given that it's fair to say that Lidl has fallen :(

Yes, it's unfair on you, Ang and other's not able to turn up and load a car full at at time; there needs to be some sort of rationing of access to or basic groceries themselves.

Myself I'm all right for food and can always use the bike to get to more obscure food shops, but this week M-F I've talked into 16 shops/pharmacies/newsagents as I've been doing errands for elderly relatives, which I think is too much contact even if I'm only spending 1-5 minutes in each.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"