News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

I drove into work today (downtown DC from northern VA). Normally I take Metro, but I started driving last Friday. Traffic today was even lighter than Friday. It's rare for traffic to be this light even on the weekends. It's surreal.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 16, 2020, 08:06:50 AM
I drove into work today (downtown DC from northern VA). Normally I take Metro, but I started driving last Friday. Traffic today was even lighter than Friday. It's rare for traffic to be this light even on the weekends. It's surreal.

I don't really expect it, but I hope the one positive coming out of this mess will be a change of views on working from home. A lot of the white collar work people do nowadays can be done remotely, and the slight loss in efficiency would be offset by less pollution.

Legbiter

My 6 year old has a mild cough and fever he developed over the weekend. Making soup and staying home with him. Of course every hoofprint is made by a zebra in times like this.  ^_^ Keeping them away from the grandparents for the foreseeable future.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Didn't see this when it was reported a couple of days ago, but thought it was interesting - the French Health Ministry have said that certain anti-inflammatories (like ibuprofen) seem to cause issues in covid-19 cases. So stick to stuff like paracetamol I suppose.
Let's bomb Russia!

bogh

Corona patients hospitalised in Denmark jumped from 28 to 62 overnight. Of those, 10 are now in intensive care units (as opposed to 4 yesterday). We've had a couple of deaths so far, but only people aged 80+ and with existing conditions.

Looks like it is starting to ramp up for real now.

Legbiter

The Nordic pandemics were all mostly seeded from Northern Italy and Austrian ski resorts. We've been racing to barely keep ahead of the bulge . Almost all infected here are from those areas and their immediate family members. What's new is we're now getting travellers from the US coming down with this. :hmm:

Sheilbh

Meant to have a physio appointment tomorrow - it has been cancelled as, apparently, in this Trust all outpatient visits are being cancelled and all staff re-directed :ph34r:

I will have a follow-up as I am classsed as "urgent" and "100% need to see someone" so they'll call to arrange that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2020, 08:36:07 AM
Meant to have a physio appointment tomorrow - it has been cancelled as, apparently, in this Trust all outpatient visits are being cancelled and all staff re-directed :ph34r:

I will have a follow-up as I am classsed as "urgent" and "100% need to see someone" so they'll call to arrange that.

Do what I did and just marry one. Problem solved.

Caliga

One of the Kentucky COVID-19 patients died overnight. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2020, 07:36:06 AM
Encouraging. Business as normal in Newcastle
Someone took a video of Waterloo (busiest station in the country) at 8am:
https://twitter.com/PGMcNamara/status/1239461514278588418?s=20

Which is very encouraging.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 16, 2020, 08:06:50 AM

My normal commute (from suburbs into downtown Atlanta) is ~35 minutes each day. Today was less than 20. Total ghost town.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on March 15, 2020, 05:43:53 AM
Btw, the Vienna State Opera offers free streams of their showings:

Thanks, Rheingold is a favorite. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Yeah, watched it yesterday. I love Rheingold, it has the advantage of not being 4h+ long like the rest of the tetralogy  :P

It was a pretty good production, also. Loge was great, and overall it featured some very good acting and stage direction, which is something I appreciate in an opera production. I hate people just standing still and singing.

celedhring

New estimations over here is that # of new cases should start decreasing in 10 days, and then the peak (when the # of people recovering becomes greater than the # of new cases) by mid-April.

I wish.

The Minsky Moment

I'm used to Met productions so the scenery seemed minimalist but I kind of prefer that approach.  The only thing that broke immersion for me was Donner's hammer.  In theory size shouldn't matter, but it just looked a bit silly to wave around what looked a rock sample hammer.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson