News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: frunk on March 09, 2020, 10:40:16 PM
Nice video on exponential growth.  One point he doesn't make is why it is so important to get the growth factor down, in that it gives us time to respond either with better targeted responses to the specific infection model or a vaccine.
I love that channel.  He really has a knack for explaining complicated concepts in a simple visual way.

celedhring

Quite hilarious column in a Catalan newspaper today (and not a fringe one) of an economist demanding that companies be released from coronavirus liability so they aren't forced to send workers home out of fear. The spice must flow!

celedhring

And Übereats is running a "don't risk it" campaign. Classy.

Syt

Karl Habsburg, grandson of the last Emperor of Austria, has tested positive for the virus.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Just chatting to a colleague. I assumed that there was panic and chaos everywhere, apparently not.

She said her local supermarket was more or less fully stocked, though the shop have started rationing paracetamol and Lemsip :lol:

Apparently all the pasta had been sold as well. But, she's a coeliac vegan and noticed that even in time of plague no-one wants the vegan or gluten-free food :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Austria is banning all outdoor events with more than 500 attendants, and all indoor events with more than 100 people. So basically all sports events, concerts, Staatsoper, etc. Universities are shutting down or offering remote learning.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Apparently the UK is expecting infections to start peaking in two weeks :ph34r:

My understanding is it'll then peak through May and June before starting to decline.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 05:20:39 AM
Just chatting to a colleague. I assumed that there was panic and chaos everywhere, apparently not.

She said her local supermarket was more or less fully stocked, though the shop have started rationing paracetamol and Lemsip :lol:

Apparently all the pasta had been sold as well. But, she's a coeliac vegan and noticed that even in time of plague no-one wants the vegan or gluten-free food :lol:

Don't see it being referred has Paracetamol online often.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 06:06:14 AM
Apparently the UK is expecting infections to start peaking in two weeks :ph34r:

My understanding is it'll then peak through May and June before starting to decline.

They should still make sure to send a memo to the virus, just in case.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2020, 06:20:39 AM
What'd you call it? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 06:27:04 AM

Don't worry, the only first-worlders weirder than Brits are Quebecians. :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 10, 2020, 06:27:04 AM

Acetaminophen or Tylenol.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

The pricey versions of paracetamol have fancy names. I actually like lemsip which is a nice soothing drink when ill; but you are paying 10 times what you need to.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 10, 2020, 06:34:36 AM
The pricey versions of paracetamol have fancy names. I actually like lemsip which is a nice soothing drink when ill; but you are paying 10 times what you need to.
I have a (pre-coronavirus) stockpile of Lemsip because though it is expensive it is good when ill :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!