Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 25, 2020, 03:20:01 PM
Will this thing come every year during Fall-Winter? Are we gonna have to take vaccinations for COVID every year like we do the flu?

The survivors, I mean. All 1% of humanity still alive.

Heard one medical health person saying that is not yet known.  It could be like the flu.

Agelastus

From the perspective of the recipient country, they receive tourists, contract-workers and immigrants.

From the perspective of the sender country, they send tourists, contract-workers, emigrants and ex-pats.

Ex-pats being still considered a part of the homeland whereas emigrants have deliberately forsaken the homeland.

Possibly for Britain this is because early ex-pats (at least in the media of the time) were mainly criminals trying to stay in countries without extradition treaties with the UK; they were so painfully British in the main despite where they lived.

Now they seem to be mainly retirees or those who have "sought a better life" without wanting to take up the citizenship of their host countries.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

Hotel where one of the infected in Austria works was briefly under quarantine. What that means in Austria ... well, see for yourself. The reporter says, "currently no one is permitted to enter or leave."

https://twitter.com/Lesart_/status/1232380125028798465?s=20

:lol:

We're all gonna die. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Camerus

viper37

Will this thing come every year during Fall-Winter? Are we gonna have to take vaccinations for COVID every year like we do the flu?

We don't know yet, but if it comes back, it will likely be another, albeit similar, virus.  China isn't reputed for its high standard in food preparations.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Could become endemic, yes. Or just disappear forever like SARS. Come next spring I'll sail a longship to Scotland to raid for slaves and Mars bars.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

HisMajestyBOB

To the surprise of no one, the CDC, DHS, and other Federal agencies are completely unprepared and their heads are astonishingly ignorant. Also the White House is now more interested in downplaying the virus than making any preparations.

I'll be stocking up on supplies this week.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: Camerus on February 25, 2020, 03:55:08 PM
Welcome to the Hotel Austriafornia.  :(

FTFY

You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Are their even heads of those departments under trump?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on February 25, 2020, 06:00:23 PM
and Mars bars.
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 25, 2020, 07:08:43 PM
To the surprise of no one, the CDC, DHS, and other Federal agencies are completely unprepared and their heads are astonishingly ignorant. Also the White House is now more interested in downplaying the virus than making any preparations.

I'll be stocking up on supplies this week.

among the many things Trump dismantled in his first year was the emergency prep team Obama had put in place after the reaction to the ebola epidemic was judged a disaster.

and since lots of people have lost their health care coverage, your whole system will quickly crumble for the average person.  Trump will be isolated in his WH bunker tweeting like a madman how it's all a democrat's hoax ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HisMajestyBOB

I'm buying barbed wire tomorrow and I've already identified which neighbors are likely to succumb first and thus be ripe targets for looting.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

mongers

S.Korean situation not looking good, now the Chinese are baring flights:

QuoteChina quarantines 94 on flight from Seoul after three show fever symptoms: CCTV

China has quarantined 94 passengers on a flight from Seoul to Nanjing after three were showing signs of fever, the state broadcaster CCTV said early on Wednesday.

South Korea reported 169 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, pushing the total tally to 1,146, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (KCDC) said.

Source Reuters.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 25, 2020, 08:12:30 PM
I'm buying barbed wire tomorrow and I've already identified which neighbors are likely to succumb first and thus be ripe targets for looting.
Wise move.  Don't forget the ammo.  Once the panick starts, every self loving pro-gun Republican will raid the stores for ammunition, and it will run out long before water, food and drugs.  Be first, be safe.

celedhring

Spain will begin testing everybody that's been in a high-risk country in the past 2 weeks. I'm not sure we have the capability to do that? That must be thousands of people in the case of Italy.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 26, 2020, 03:05:55 AM
Spain will begin testing everybody that's been in a high-risk country in the past 2 weeks. I'm not sure we have the capability to do that? That must be thousands of people in the case of Italy.

I doubt it can be even known. Is it something mandatory or on a voluntary basis?