Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

So, the number of cases is inscreasing at a steady rate, there does not seem to be any changes with the mandatory mask wearing.
Over the least week (it's been 2 weeks since the measure has been made), we had:
139, 164, 146, 141, 123, 123, 155 new cases each day.

There are less hospitalizations, though,.

If the mask helps for anything, it might be in generating less hospitalizations, but it's too early to tell, we'll have to wait a couple more weeks.  So far, it seems I was right and the mask brings nothing new but annoyance, in a real world situation.

What more can the mask do than a plexiglas sheet can not stop, really?  <sigh>

I'm really tired of all this bullshit.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 05, 2020, 04:11:56 PM
If the mask helps for anything, it might be in generating less hospitalizations, but it's too early to tell,

We have only been wearing masks to help limit the spread of disease for a hundred years or so, too early to tell if it works or not. Maybe in, what, five hundred more we might know?

How about surgeons cleaning and disinfecting their tools between surgeries? Is the jury still out if that helps limit infections? How many centuries of evidence for that do we need?

This crazy new technology seen here in the 1920s is still unproven.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

All three doctors in this photo are now dead.  :ph34r: I'm sure it's just a coincidence.  :rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on August 05, 2020, 12:16:17 PM
When I leave my home, I also never wear a mask, but of course I wear it on public transport, in shops, in restaurants, in the office, in crowds etc. What exactly was the question in German?

It's not well worded in English, that's for sure.  Are they asking what percentage of the time you wear a mask as you take that first step out of the door, or what percentage of the time out of the house you wear a mask, or what percentage of the time out of the house do you put a mask on at least once?

Zoupa

So, the number of cases is inscreasing at a steady rate, there does not seem to be any changes with the mandatory mask wearing.
Over the least week (it's been 2 weeks since the measure has been made), we had:

If the mask helps for anything, it might be in generating less hospitalizations, but it's too early to tell, we'll have to wait a couple more weeks.  So far, it seems I was right and the mask brings nothing new but annoyance, in a real world situation.

The mask that close to your face absorbs droplets but most importantly slow aerosol (ie your breath) way down. An aerosol going through a quick deceleration and filter tends to fall to the ground instead of floating around in the air for minutes/hours.

Plexiglass does neither of those.

Just wear the damn mask inside buildings, or stay home.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on August 05, 2020, 04:29:21 PM
I'm really tired of all this bullshit this plague.

FYPFY :)
Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry.  I wish it would be over soon, I'm not sure I can stomach 2-3 more years of this :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on August 05, 2020, 09:45:35 PM

The mask that close to your face absorbs droplets but most importantly slow aerosol (ie your breath) way down. An aerosol going through a quick deceleration and filter tends to fall to the ground instead of floating around in the air for minutes/hours.

It's amazing what people will complain about, 'having' to wear a mask for a few minutes or an hour vs a health professional having to use full PPE all shift long in whilst saving other patient's lives and also not infect still more people.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2020, 05:49:58 PM
We have only been wearing masks to help limit the spread of disease for a hundred years or so, too early to tell if it works or not. Maybe in, what, five hundred more we might know?

It makes sense in controlled conditions.  Trained medical staff, with a constant reminder from colleagues that they ain't wearing their mask right, that the mask is too wet, people that will change their masks between patients or after a couple of hours, that makes a lot of sense.

In very close contact situation, it does make sense, like in public transit.
But again, what more does the mask do than a plexigas sheet between me and the bank teller/cashier at the grocery store?
What good is a mask when a waitress or a cook keep it for 4hrs straight when it's totally wet after 30 minutes?  What good does it do when people keep touching their masks and won't wash their hands afterward?

A visor for restaurant&bar staff would be sufficient and much less of an incovenient that a mask.
As for the general population, in places where you can observe your distance, I don't see the use. 

I remain to be convinced by a significant decrease in the number of cases.  So far, the number of tests has decreased, but the number of cases has increased.  I'm not buttheaded, I'll accept the evidence.  So far, I just don't see it.  All I see is people acting carelessly because they have some kind of invulnerability shield now.  And that's a recipe for disaster.

viper37

the case for infection by micro, aeorosol droplets hasn't yet been made.

Plexiglass prevent the droplets from reaching the person on the other side.

As for staying home, I wish that could be a possibility.

I would suggest Montrealers start washing their hands, then maybe we could remove some of these restrictions.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on August 05, 2020, 10:06:20 PM

the case for infection by micro, aeorosol droplets hasn't yet been made.

Plexiglass prevent the droplets from reaching the person on the other side.

As for staying home, I wish that could be a possibility.

I would suggest Montrealers start washing their hands, then maybe we could remove some of these restrictions.

Plexiglass is not air tight dude. Fuck right off with that Montrealers bullshit. We pay for all the services you get in your shit poor regions, you should be thanking god every day that you have a metroplois paying your bills.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on August 05, 2020, 09:54:41 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 05, 2020, 04:29:21 PM
I'm really tired of all this bullshit this plague.

FYPFY :)
Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry.  I wish it would be over soon, I'm not sure I can stomach 2-3 more years of this :(

:hug:

I get it. I wish it were over, too. But honestly, in the grand scheme of things, it's really only been five months in the US/Canada. It *feels* like forever, but it hasn't been so long. Hopefully, another six months and we'll be in a better place than we are today. Hang in there, Viper.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Yeah this is horrible. The vaccine hype is most of what sustains me right now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

I tend to focus on what I can do rather than what the government can do.  The government is the government and there is nothing I can do about it. 

I can wear masks, stockpile toilet paper and food, stockpile money, wash hands, and stay home more.  I do these, and hope for the best. 

Iormlund

Quote from: viper37 on August 05, 2020, 10:01:16 PMIt makes sense in controlled conditions.  Trained medical staff, with a constant reminder from colleagues that they ain't wearing their mask right, that the mask is too wet, people that will change their masks between patients or after a couple of hours, that makes a lot of sense.

We have been wearing masks at the plant since we reopened in April. We've had 7 confirmed cases that I know of in that time. All those got the bug outside (family & partying), and I can't point at single instance of workplace transmission.

In contrast, last January about 20% of the plant got sick with flu or whatever else was making the rounds in just two weeks.

It seems to me masks do reduce transmission rates, even when people are sweaty (>40º C) and touch them.