Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2023, 05:44:30 PMIt never seemed like the Republican leadership was anti-Vaccine. Heck Trump is still trying to get some of his supporters to give him credit for his operation warp speed thing.

It is the propaganda machine that goes in on these things. It almost has a will of its own and the tail seems to wag the dog constantly.

Same thing with Orban's pro-Russia stance, in fairly short order their media became more rabidly pro-Putin than they have ever been publicly.  I think it's the lackies over-bidding each other in an attempt to conform with the message - you have to say something more radical than the last guy otherwise you might slide into irrelevance or worse be taken for a non-believer in the cause.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 28, 2023, 03:54:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 27, 2023, 05:44:30 PMIt never seemed like the Republican leadership was anti-Vaccine. Heck Trump is still trying to get some of his supporters to give him credit for his operation warp speed thing.

It is the propaganda machine that goes in on these things. It almost has a will of its own and the tail seems to wag the dog constantly.

Same thing with Orban's pro-Russia stance, in fairly short order their media became more rabidly pro-Putin than they have ever been publicly.  I think it's the lackies over-bidding each other in an attempt to conform with the message - you have to say something more radical than the last guy otherwise you might slide into irrelevance or worse be taken for a non-believer in the cause.

A newish sub-variant is on the rise across the globe, just in time to take advantage of the UK government's recent decision to not offer a Covid vaccination to healthy under-65s this winter.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

It's still free over here, so I got a fourth shot, a bivalent one. Last one was 18 months or so.

Heard there were some cases in Portugal from family and acquaintances and since I plan to go there in a few weeks, it seemed like a good idea.

Iormlund

There are cases everywhere. Covid is the leading cause of death in Spain, for example.

It's just that it's not news anymore. I got it again in April and the general reaction was "wait, does this thing still exist?".

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on August 15, 2023, 05:16:20 AMThere are cases everywhere. Covid is the leading cause of death in Spain, for example
Thats bizzare and worrying.
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

It's only natural. The thing is endemic now. And it's caused by the most transmissible virus in human history.

I got in again back in April. Despite 3 shots and having been infected at least once before, the suddenness of it gave me a bit of a scare.
I had a very slight headache when I got to work. Less than an two hours later I had trouble breathing, my legs were trembling, etc.
Viral load must have been quite high. The two lines appeared in the test kit almost immediately.

Josquius

That its everywhere now I know and makes sense. That some are dying from it still too. But leading cause of death... wow.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Before Covid normal flu killed a lot of people annually, not really surprised to see new and improved flu doing the same.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on August 15, 2023, 05:27:57 AMIt's only natural. The thing is endemic now. And it's caused by the most transmissible virus in human history.

I got in again back in April. Despite 3 shots and having been infected at least once before, the suddenness of it gave me a bit of a scare.
I had a very slight headache when I got to work. Less than an two hours later I had trouble breathing, my legs were trembling, etc.
Viral load must have been quite high. The two lines appeared in the test kit almost immediately.

Damn, that's a bummer, hope it didn't knock you out for too long.

I guess most of the rest of us have a version of it to look forward to,  again. :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

After the first 24 hours it wasn't that bad. Honestly I'm more concerned by the weird migraines I started suffering a few weeks after (which might or might not be coincidental).

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on August 15, 2023, 05:16:20 AMThere are cases everywhere. Covid is the leading cause of death in Spain, for example.

It's just that it's not news anymore. I got it again in April and the general reaction was "wait, does this thing still exist?".
Covid being a leading cause of death sounds very off to me.  No stats that I can find anywhere on the Internet seem to indicate that it's a major cause of death anywhere anymore, although it's hard to tell who's still collecting new stats, and what the coverage of those new stats is.  Do you have a source for Covid being the leading cause of death in Spain?

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2023, 02:58:37 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on August 15, 2023, 05:16:20 AMThere are cases everywhere. Covid is the leading cause of death in Spain, for example.

Covid being a leading cause of death sounds very off to me.  No stats that I can find anywhere on the Internet seem to indicate that it's a major cause of death anywhere anymore, although it's hard to tell who's still collecting new stats, and what the coverage of those new stats is.  Do you have a source for Covid being the leading cause of death in Spain?

Spanish Statistics Institute: INE.es

Top 5 being Covid, followed by ischemic heart disease, cardiovascular disease, lung + bronchial cancer and dementia.

The page says the breakdown is done according to WHO classification. If you group all categories (eg. all cancers and heart/cardiovascular problems with each other) Covid would obviously rank lower.
Though only "identified" Covid deaths are counted, so I'm guessing secondary issues triggered by the infection are out.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 16, 2023, 05:29:26 AMDementia causes death?  :huh:
It's the leading cause in the UK - dementia and Alzheimer's disease.

I'm a little surprised how different that is to the UK, I'd have guessed dementia was the major killer in Europe generally given ageing populations. The ONS also uses the WHO categories, covid is the sixth biggest cause of death (I think it still counts either what's on the death certificate or related deaths within 4 week of a covid diagnosis/positive test). The top five killers here are dementia and Alzheimer's, ischaemic heart diseases, cerebrovascular diseases, chronic lower respiratory diseases and lung cancer.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 16, 2023, 05:29:26 AMDementia causes death?  :huh:
Complications from it do, just like it works with many other illnesses.  Someone dying from Kaposi sarcoma would still be counted as dying from AIDS.