Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2023, 01:32:46 PMSo the effect of lockdown wasn't even modelled until the week it was implemented because their working assumption was about 50% non-compliance (basically, only China can lockdown) - which was very wrong. Brits gleefully locked down and taped up their park benches/reported people in parks to the police :lol:

Yeah it was surprising for me was how many people thoroughly enjoyed this time period and relished the chance to morph into a sort of privatized neighbourhood Stasi, doing precise headcounts on their neighbors' social gatherings for instance.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

I'm so envious of those who got furlough :(

Ran into a nutter the other day who claimed the vaccines were useless and covid just weakened on its own :lol:
Interesting how anti vaxers morph.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Legbiter on July 10, 2023, 02:29:32 PMYeah it was surprising for me was how many people thoroughly enjoyed this time period and relished the chance to morph into a sort of privatized neighbourhood Stasi, doing precise headcounts on their neighbors' social gatherings for instance.
I regularly think of the 30% of Brits who thought nightclubs should never be allowed to reopen regardless of the state of the pandemic - in a "they walk among us" kind of way.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2023, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on July 10, 2023, 02:29:32 PMYeah it was surprising for me was how many people thoroughly enjoyed this time period and relished the chance to morph into a sort of privatized neighbourhood Stasi, doing precise headcounts on their neighbors' social gatherings for instance.
I regularly think of the 30% of Brits who thought nightclubs should never be allowed to reopen regardless of the state of the pandemic - in a "they walk among us" kind of way.

A land without nightclubs  :wub:
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2023, 02:34:01 PMI regularly think of the 30% of Brits who thought nightclubs should never be allowed to reopen regardless of the state of the pandemic - in a "they walk among us" kind of way.

Yeah night life was not closed down but many of the most fun places to visit were various combinations of cramped, dimly lit, etc. Although not closed down they got saddled with unenforceable rules on distance, etc that made absolutely no sense for a highly contagious airborne virus... :wacko: Some kind of subsidy scheme was cobbled together for them.

Also the absolutely shittiest response that I can recall was from the local teacher's union. They demanded that all primary education be moved online, got smacked down hard but kept up a highly annoying whine through almost 2 years, even after the vaccination cycle was complete. They also tried to insist that first and second graders be masked at all times while in school.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Republicans' excess death rate spiked after COVID-19 vaccines arrived, a study says

QuoteRepublicans' excess death rate spiked after COVID-19 vaccines arrived, a study says

More specifically, the researchers say, their adjusted analysis found that "the excess death rate among Republican voters was 43% higher than the excess death rate among Democratic voters" after vaccine eligibility was opened.
The different rates "were concentrated in counties with lower vaccination rates, and primarily noted in voters residing in Ohio," according to the study that was published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine on Monday.
It's the latest research to suggest the perils of mixing partisan politics with medical advice and health policy.

[...]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

How much of swing state is Ohio these days?

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2023, 08:23:45 PMRepublicans' excess death rate spiked after COVID-19 vaccines arrived, a study says

QuoteRepublicans' excess death rate spiked after COVID-19 vaccines arrived, a study says

More specifically, the researchers say, their adjusted analysis found that "the excess death rate among Republican voters was 43% higher than the excess death rate among Democratic voters" after vaccine eligibility was opened.
The different rates "were concentrated in counties with lower vaccination rates, and primarily noted in voters residing in Ohio," according to the study that was published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine on Monday.
It's the latest research to suggest the perils of mixing partisan politics with medical advice and health policy.

[...]

Ehh... I have to wonder on this though. Could be (lack of) vaccines. But don't republicans also trend older?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2023, 08:23:45 PMRepublicans' excess death rate spiked after COVID-19 vaccines arrived, a study says

[...]

A popular reaction on German interwebs to such news is a clip from a Louis De Funès movie:

"No!"
"Yes!"
"Whoa!"

Original clip:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on July 27, 2023, 12:26:11 AMEhh... I have to wonder on this though. Could be (lack of) vaccines. But don't republicans also trend older?
I think it's less pronounced. They trend older but it's nowhere near as extreme as in the UK, partly because of the intersection with race.

Also I think (and I could be wrong on this) that in the UK age is basically a proxy for education - there is a huge generational shift in the number of students going to university in the UK in the 90s. So part of the generational partisan divide actually just reflects whether people are university educated or not. I think education is more consistent across generations in the US, so again there's less of a pronounced split/partisanship divide by age.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on July 26, 2023, 10:06:05 PMHow much of swing state is Ohio these days?

Very slightly. Reliably red for Presidential elections though...at least while Trump is running.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

So they can afford to kill some of their voters if doing so is useful in other ways. Got it.

Valmy

It never seemed like the Republican leadership was anti-Vaccine. Heck Trump is still trying to get some of his supporters to give him credit for his operation warp speed thing.

It is the propaganda machine that goes in on these things. It almost has a will of its own and the tail seems to wag the dog constantly.