Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Did my 2nd ever Covid test today and I had a positive result; very hard to tell if I've suffered any illness as compared to the masking effects of the cold weather and because I'm recently boosted.

Three cheers for the 'miracle' of the vaccines.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Thirty Three years ago, the first news on a German site.

"Infected under quarantine

Central China reports mysterious lung disease

Close to 30 people have fallen ill with a mysterious affliction of the lungs in the Chinese metropolis of Wuhan. Rumors are fueling fears of the dangerous Sars virus, but the authorities are reassuring."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I'm reassured, hope it's nothing serious.  :)

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on December 31, 2022, 10:36:18 AMI'm reassured, hope it's nothing serious.  :)

Don't worry, even if it was very serious, I'm sure the major governments would come together to co-ordinate a worldwide response to a pandemic.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on December 31, 2022, 10:57:21 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 31, 2022, 10:36:18 AMI'm reassured, hope it's nothing serious.  :)

Don't worry, even if it was very serious, I'm sure the major governments would come together to co-ordinate a worldwide response to a pandemic.
China would tell us if it was serious.  Right?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on January 02, 2023, 03:45:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 31, 2022, 10:57:21 AM

China would tell us if it was serious.  Right?

Certainly, but only once it's affecting Western countries worse than in China, then they'll open up a little and trumpet some suspect figures that show deaths rates per 100,000 are lower there.

Incidentally on New years eve they claimed just one death from covid-19 vs the reality of multiple vans queuing at the crematorium or piles of full body bags in hospitals.
Current estimates for daily deaths in China are in the range of 5-10 thousand. 

Josquius

I guess that's one way to solve their getting grey before they get rich conundrum.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Basically everyone we know in China either just recovered from Covid or have it right now. Not fun times.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 02, 2023, 08:45:48 PMBasically everyone we know in China either just recovered from Covid or have it right now. Not fun times.

Damn, so no exaggeration to say at one point a couple of weeks ago there might have been 250 million new cases in a week as one estimate indicated.

How did the individuals cope, were the Chinese vaccines effective in helping to reduce the symptoms/severity?

I tested positive a few weeks ago and had a hard time pinning anything down to covid-19, as opposed to the effects of the cold weather.

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2023, 09:32:17 PMDamn, so no exaggeration to say at one point a couple of weeks ago there might have been 250 million new cases in a week as one estimate indicated.

How did the individuals cope, were the Chinese vaccines effective in helping to reduce the symptoms/severity?

I tested positive a few weeks ago and had a hard time pinning anything down to covid-19, as opposed to the effects of the cold weather.

My impression is that the Chinese vaccines were not as effective (but still somewhat effective), and that people haven't been getting 3rd+ doses... but I don't know for sure. I'm guessing it's pretty bad across the population.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 03, 2023, 12:36:49 PMMy impression is that the Chinese vaccines were not as effective (but still somewhat effective), and that people haven't been getting 3rd+ doses... but I don't know for sure. I'm guessing it's pretty bad across the population.
Yeah I thnk there was a big WHO study of the many millions of people in countries across the world who've received is that they are pretty good - something like 70% effectiveness against symptomatic cases and 80% against hospitalisation and higher against deaths.

I think in China as everywhere else the vaccines are the least of the problems. Ultimately it was the political decisions the Chinese state made. They prioritised workers over the vulnerable. They've failed to do the booster shot/three shot regime which is necessary for those vaccines - they really just stopped pushing vaccinations for some reason. Plus they've encouraged Chinese vaccine nationalism (which is a reverse of the slightly dodgy slightly "made in China" stuff) about other vaccines which I think is likely to reduce trust in vaccines in general but also means that China can't use those as another stream for getting shots in arms.

I think those decisions are really responsible for a lot of the deaths that are happening now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 03, 2023, 12:53:18 PMThey've failed to do the booster shot/three shot regime which is necessary for those vaccines - they really just stopped pushing vaccinations for some reason.

I think the reason goes something like this:

1) The CCP is a corrupt regime built on lies, but attempting to look righteous.

2) The Chinese people are required to act like they trust the regime, but in fact it is only a veneer over a deep-seated distrust. Therefore, the Chinese people do not trust their government's line on vaccines.

3) This puts the regime in a position where if they advocated strongly for vaccines, they might fail. This would be embarassing.

4) So to avoid embarassment, they elect not to push vaccines.

Sheilbh

I think also, possibly, that they were utterly committed to zero covid because that was personally associated with Xi/his line - and I think the mayor of Shanghai was promoted at the latest party conference following his strict implementation of that policy.

If you have zero covid and it is a successful policy then vaccines aren't that necessary. They are another line of defence.

If you're moving past zero covid or acknowledging it's an unsustainable policy, then you need to prioritise vaccines.

So pushing vaccines seems gestures in the opposite direction of Xi.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 03, 2023, 01:06:08 PMI think also, possibly, that they were utterly committed to zero covid because that was personally associated with Xi/his line - and I think the mayor of Shanghai was promoted at the latest party conference following his strict implementation of that policy.

If you have zero covid and it is a successful policy then vaccines aren't that necessary. They are another line of defence.

If you're moving past zero covid or acknowledging it's an unsustainable policy, then you need to prioritise vaccines.

So pushing vaccines seems gestures in the opposite direction of Xi.

True enough. I think both can be true simultaneously and reinforce mutually. The people were not inclined to trust the government's line on vaccinations and there were no incentives for officials to push through that for political reasons.

viper37

China promised to retaliate against Canada and other countries that enforce mandatory checks on travelers arriving from China.  Truly a valuable partner.  I'm really glad the Libs booted that evil, warmongering Stephen Harper from power and normalized relations with our friend China :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.