Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on August 03, 2022, 10:27:36 AMEither the world stays in lockdown for all eternity, or Dorsey was right all along since Day 1.

I mean, it's not like we suddenly just said "oh. It's not working.".
The lockdowns bought time for the vaccines to be developed and reduce covid to a minor concern.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

#17176
Quote from: alfred russel on August 03, 2022, 09:38:09 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2021, 05:00:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2021, 04:51:37 PMI mean, it's not like you carefully evaluated Denmark's policy, carefully compared all the data that went into it, cross referenced it with that same data from Canada, and soberly concluded that Denmark is right to allow some travel and Canada wrong.

Nope...Canada doesn't allow travel, so they are wrong. Denmark does allow travel, so they are right. 100% outcome driven evaluation.


I certainly didn't do an extensive evaluation. What I did is recognize that Canada won't let in vaccinated travelers without an essential reason, and I think that is stupid. If you want to point to the vaccinated travelers that presented a negative covid test and that have spread covid, I'll reevaluate that opinion.

Pulling this in from another thread...i was critical of canada's policy just over a year ago to not allow travel for vaccinated travelers without an essential reason...basically no one agreed with me...well now we are a year later, and Canada is not only letting in vaccinated passengers without an essential reason, and they are also not requiring a covid test to enter. Covid continues to be spread so I guess canada decided its policy was wrong?

Canada removed its policy when the medical evidence indicated that doing so would not overwelm our health care services.  The correctness of that decision is an interesting point of debate here.  Our medical system is still under a great deal of stress and the extra COVID cases are a large part of that problem.  But the other side of the debate also has some strength - ie at some point the loss of economic activity creates more harm to the medical system because of the inability to properly fund it.

But I have not heard anyone argue (except you and the extreme right wing here in Canada) that the policy was always wrong.
I want you to panic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2019/jan/25/i-want-you-to-panic-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-issues-climate-warning-at-davos-video

"Woke" is now almost exclusively used by those who seek to deride it, those who chafe at the activism from which it sprang. Opponents to the idea are seeking to render it toxic. They use it to stand in for change itself, for evolution, for an accurate assessment of history and society that makes them uncomfortable and deflates their hagiographic view of American history.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on July 27, 2022, 10:37:39 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 26, 2022, 01:58:53 PM:yeah:

Hard to believe someone who smoked cigarettes while working in public health could be sanctimonious about someone wanting to pursue outdoor recreation during the early stages of the pandemic. Maybe someday covid will surpass the deaths caused by smoking, but we are a long long way from that.
smoking has a had a few centuries head start.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2022, 12:14:40 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 03, 2022, 09:38:09 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2021, 05:00:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2021, 04:51:37 PMI mean, it's not like you carefully evaluated Denmark's policy, carefully compared all the data that went into it, cross referenced it with that same data from Canada, and soberly concluded that Denmark is right to allow some travel and Canada wrong.

Nope...Canada doesn't allow travel, so they are wrong. Denmark does allow travel, so they are right. 100% outcome driven evaluation.


I certainly didn't do an extensive evaluation. What I did is recognize that Canada won't let in vaccinated travelers without an essential reason, and I think that is stupid. If you want to point to the vaccinated travelers that presented a negative covid test and that have spread covid, I'll reevaluate that opinion.

Pulling this in from another thread...i was critical of canada's policy just over a year ago to not allow travel for vaccinated travelers without an essential reason...basically no one agreed with me...well now we are a year later, and Canada is not only letting in vaccinated passengers without an essential reason, and they are also not requiring a covid test to enter. Covid continues to be spread so I guess canada decided its policy was wrong?

Canada removed its policy when the medical evidence indicated that doing so would not overwelm our health care services.  The correctness of that decision is an interesting point of debate here.  Our medical system is still under a great deal of stress and the extra COVID cases are a large part of that problem.  But the other side of the debate also has some strength - ie at some point the loss of economic activity creates more harm to the medical system because of the inability to properly fund it.

But I have not heard anyone argue (except you and the extreme right wing here in Canada) that the policy was always wrong.
it's more that the vaccine has a more limited effect in preventing the spread of the disease now than it did before.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 03, 2022, 09:44:31 AMDo you not recognise the passage of time?

The discussion was for fully vaccinated passengers that were prohibited from entry. A year or so ago there was overwhelming evidence already how effective the vaccines were.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Josquius on August 03, 2022, 11:27:43 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 03, 2022, 10:27:36 AMEither the world stays in lockdown for all eternity, or Dorsey was right all along since Day 1.

I mean, it's not like we suddenly just said "oh. It's not working.".
The lockdowns bought time for the vaccines to be developed and reduce covid to a minor concern.

The point in question that I just brought up was a policy after vaccine rollout and for travelers that were fully vaccinated.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Oh. I do disagree with those policies being removed. They should merely have been tweaked to get rid of the stupid need to renew every time.
As it is we are rewarding antivaxers for being freeloaders.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

What caused me to revisit this, is I'm leaving in a couple weeks for a business trip to India, and the airline has a policy that masks are required. However, that only applies to coach passengers while premium passengers don't need to mask up in the nicer cabin space. Luckily since its a business trip that applies to me, but wondering if this is based on science (they say because premium seating has more room between passengers) or just another perk to add for premium customers.

I recently went to Ecuador on holiday, and they require masks on planes. The flight originated from the US which does not, so we did not wear masks while boarding or on the flight until we crossed into Ecaudorian airspace, but at that point we had to mask up. Science is amazing!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

It need not be an either /or.
Scientifically then yes. It's best if 100% of people wear a mask. But it's not like the purpose of wearing a mask totally vanishes if only 90% are doing so.

Though as a policy that sounds quite fucked up. "The dirty poors" and all that.

I've flown a few times in recent months and found a few airlines still saying on their website masks are required but it just never comes up in reality.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on August 04, 2022, 10:21:29 AMI've flown a few times in recent months and found a few airlines still saying on their website masks are required but it just never comes up in reality.
I've only flown once but basically didn't see anyone in a mask at either airport or on the plane. I don't think it was required by either country or the airline so...
Let's bomb Russia!