Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Does Burgos get to be the uprising capital again?

Tamas

You can tell most teachers hate their jobs though. In England and Hungary, pretty much all trades and their unions want to avoid restrictions, except for teacher unions which DEMAND schools get closed.

In Hungary a lot of schools jump on blanket shutdowns the moment they find an infected pupil.  :D

Tamas

Still just leaks but England will be in a lockdown from Thursday for a month to 5th December. (I guess we must give people a few days to party like there's no tomorrow).

Schools will remain open which I think makes sense.

What's weird is that allegedly OUTBOUND travel will be banned.

Tamas

It's just a single account so may be just lies, but a senior doctor in one of the hospital in western Hungary made a desperate Facebook post complaining how they are being overwhelmed with covid patients. You hear nothing on that in official news, so it makes for a calmer country than say England where you get detailed statistics. ^_^

Josquius

Was in a board game cafe this afternoon and chatted to the owner about the situation and how messy it is proving whilst he kept his eye on the news for the lockdown that never came.

Apparently just eat are awful and if you sign up with them as a business  your phone number and basic information will almost certainly be handed over to scammers.
██████
██████
██████

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2020, 12:14:04 PM
You can tell most teachers hate their jobs though. In England and Hungary, pretty much all trades and their unions want to avoid restrictions, except for teacher unions which DEMAND schools get closed.

In Hungary a lot of schools jump on blanket shutdowns the moment they find an infected pupil.  :D

Maybe it has something to do with it being relatively easy in many jobs to isolate or at least minimize contact with other people.  In teaching that's virtually impossible, and the people that teachers are having contact with are less than cautious themselves.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2020, 12:21:43 PM
What's weird is that allegedly OUTBOUND travel will be banned.
I read somewhere that about 80% of new cases in Scotland were from people who went on holiday. I don't know if that's the same in the other nations. I feel like there's a similar risk of people (probably the same people) doing a Christmas holiday or deciding to do a ski trip.

Haven't seen the announcement but I did see that Johnson was, I think 2 hours late to his own press conference. It doesn't exactly convey a message of competence and, given that he'd interrupted mainstream TV for this, probably left a lot of people who aren't normally political absolutely fuming.

Seems weird to keep universities open given that they are hotspots and there's still not going to be much in-person teaching. I think there's good reasons to keep schools open, I can't think of a single one for keeping universities open.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I can think of a very good reason to keep universities open -  £££££
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2020, 02:56:52 PM
I can think of a very good reason to keep universities open -  £££££

Austria will keep schools open, but universities and senior classes will switch to distance learning next week.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Region next to mine just went red, maximum restrictions, near lockdown.  Businesses are open, but bars&restaurants are shutdown.  Medical practioners can only see people for emergency, otherwise it needs to be postponed or done via phone/camera.

The biggest cluster is in a village, 25 minutes west of here (pop: 3000).  The elderly's home in the place has 12 cases on its own. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

In time for the lockdown, Austrian Aldi this week has specials on lentils, beans, sugar, and rice in bulk. Also: toilet paper, disinfectant, canned food ...

... and electrical generators, flashlights and batteries, a battery radio, under the heading "well prepared" ... :unsure:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Second night of anti-lockdown riots in Spain. It has spread to many other cities, but at the same time they weren't as intense as the ones on Friday. 46 arrests. Biggest riot was in Logroño this time, with 150 people involved.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2020, 04:44:29 AM
Second night of anti-lockdown riots in Spain. It has spread to many other cities, but at the same time they weren't as intense as the ones on Friday. 46 arrests. Biggest riot was in Logroño this time, with 150 people involved.

That sounds like a number of people who'd riot when given a good excuse regardless of what that is.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2020, 04:58:19 AM

That sounds like a number of people who'd riot when given a good excuse regardless of what that is.

Yeah, it feels a bit like that, to be honest. The looting of stores is also a bit of a giveaway too.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 01, 2020, 05:06:44 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2020, 04:58:19 AM

Yeah, it feels a bit like that, to be honest. The looting of stores is also a bit of a giveaway too.

The looters going after the Lacoste shop was a dead giveaway.  :lol: