Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

They can always claim that assembling for that motorcycle event is actually a political statement in support of their first amendment rights.

Valmy

Quote from: Ancient Demon on August 07, 2020, 07:08:58 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 07, 2020, 11:57:41 AM
More proof of how fucking stupid the US is:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/06/motorcycle-rally-coronavirus/

I doubt you'd say that if this was a BLM rally instead.

I think 250,000 people traveling across country to attend a giant BLM rally in one small town in South Dakota would also be pretty stupid. There is probably one going on in your town, no reason to do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Well on the bright side, so much for Trump's biker army. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

10 cloistered nuns test positive in Spain, not even extreme social distancing will save us  :(

Tonitrus

Iormlund

Malthus

My impression is that there hasn't really been a big bump from various outdoor rallies, parades, demonstrations etc.

My initial thought was that attending such events would be insanely risky (whether the cause was morally good or trivial). However, it just seems that the disease isn't as easily transmitted in an outdoors setting as in an indoors one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Yeah but traveling across country to attend an event probably involves going inside at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2020, 11:17:03 AM
My impression is that there hasn't really been a big bump from various outdoor rallies, parades, demonstrations etc.

My initial thought was that attending such events would be insanely risky (whether the cause was morally good or trivial). However, it just seems that the disease isn't as easily transmitted in an outdoors setting as in an indoors one.

We'll know in two weeks if that's the case. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2020, 01:12:18 PM
Yeah but traveling across country to attend an event probably involves going inside at some point.

Fair enough - going to a parade or a protest involves a smaller scale of necessary interactions than a huge motorcycle rally. For one, the latter need to eat and sleep somewhere.

My point was a more general one - I remember seeing a lot of concern expressed over BLM protests and the like, which did not seem to result in correlated outbreaks.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on August 08, 2020, 01:49:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2020, 11:17:03 AM

We'll know in two weeks if that's the case. :)

"It is what it is. "
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Numbers are starting to fall in the US. It'd be interesting to see any data on people's behaviour as in they relaxed as numbers went down, then numbers started climbing so people started distancing more again etc, now numbers are going down and people will start relaxing. Because it sort of feels like that might be the cycle in the US now until there's a treatment/vaccine.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

If Trump brought out a vaccine before the Election I would actually vote for Trump.  I hate Trump, but I'm scared of the virus.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2020, 06:45:58 PM
If Trump brought out a vaccine before the Election I would actually vote for Trump.  I hate Trump, but I'm scared of the virus.
That's ridiculous.  Fascist US can be so much worse for the world than Covid.

Sheilbh

Also I don't see what Trump has to do with vaccine development :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!