News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Life on the Rails

Started by Savonarola, June 17, 2015, 12:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Savonarola on December 14, 2023, 05:59:28 PMI got a list of Alstom job postings today.  Since they're supposed to be tailored to your skill set I was surprised when there was one for "Deputy Project Manager."  Then I saw it was for Green Line in Tel Aviv and I thought - I bet you're not getting a lot of applicants for that.

At least you won't have to deal with the snow.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

Time to power up Duolingo German:

Knorr-Bremse Acquires Alstom's Rail Signalling Technology Business in North America

Right now a lot of things are still up in the air.  Alstom Canada is remaining Alstom, Alstom US is becoming Knorr-Bremse.  I'm not sure how I'm impacted since my primary project is in Canada.

Does anyone know anything about Knorr-Bremse?  I've never met anyone who worked for them.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Bremse means "brakes", is about all I know.

Savonarola

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2024, 01:08:32 PMBremse means "brakes", is about all I know.

You know more German than I do, but yes, they're a rail safety company.  From the various meetings I've been on today I've learned that they're sole US presence is New York Air Brake.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I got an unsolicited e-mail from an antenna manufacturer this morning.  That's not unusual; I get e-mail from radio equipment manufacturers almost every day.  This one stood out because he encouraged me to check out his company's jamming antennas.  That amused me, we could sell a service where you take out your competitor's radio links to make your trains run faster; then we could film the project and release it on Netflix: Hard Core Train Signaling.

He mentioned Alstom by name in his e-mail and we have a large presence in the manufacturer's country (Turkey) so he should know what we do.  Jamming antennas are probably a lucrative business right now; but that's not really something a rail company would use.