News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2020 Thread

Started by merithyn, January 06, 2020, 11:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Six miles in the am before work (yes, I still get to go to work). Felt good, as I was struggling this winter to keep up any sort of regular running. I know I need to grind some more before I find my groove again. Nicer weather (and empty streets) will make it easier.
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on March 20, 2020, 02:36:04 PM
Six miles in the am before work (yes, I still get to go to work). Felt good, as I was struggling this winter to keep up any sort of regular running. I know I need to grind some more before I find my groove again. Nicer weather (and empty streets) will make it easier.

Holy thread necromancy, batman. :D

Sasks, keep up the good work.

Knoww what you mean about struggling this Winter, I think I did barely 100 miles on the bike last month.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

I need to find home cardio exercises for people with bad backs like me. I've gained half a kg in a week of confinement. I've been doing exercise but all the heavy cardio I can do without equipment (rope jumping, jumping jacks) ends up giving me back pain (I have an herniated disk).

merithyn

I got word on Friday that we're likely going to be working remotely through the end of the year, possibly a bit longer. So, for at least the next 7-9 months, this is my new normal.

That means that I have to take control of my weight now before this gets totally out of hand. As it is, I've already gained 15 pounds since I got back from Europe. :ph34r:

A couple of days ago, a friend mentioned that he was doing the Jillian Michaels 30-day squat and planks challenge. I asked if he minded if I did it with him, and he said sure! Accountability buddies and all that. That was on Friday, so I'm on Day 3. First, owowowowowow! Second, I'm staying on it so far, but fuck. OW! But it really made me miss running, which is right out because of the pollen in the air right now. It's literally falling from the sky every day like snow, and I'm crazy allergic. If I try to run in this, I will have an asthma attack and now is really not the time to be playing with those kinds of things.

Instead, I bought a new Fitbit smart watch, and I'm going to try to get a decent number of miles in walking every day. Still not great, but I can do that with a mask on and not die, so you know, win. Because I'm me, I created a tracker for the 30-day challenge, and I've added steps, calories, and weight to it.

I hate strengthening exercises like planks and squats, but it's something that I can do for the most part at my desk, and I need to do something. I cannot gain more weight.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on April 19, 2020, 03:53:29 PM
I got word on Friday that we're likely going to be working remotely through the end of the year, possibly a bit longer. So, for at least the next 7-9 months, this is my new normal.

That means that I have to take control of my weight now before this gets totally out of hand. As it is, I've already gained 15 pounds since I got back from Europe. :ph34r:

A couple of days ago, a friend mentioned that he was doing the Jillian Michaels 30-day squat and planks challenge. I asked if he minded if I did it with him, and he said sure! Accountability buddies and all that. That was on Friday, so I'm on Day 3. First, owowowowowow! Second, I'm staying on it so far, but fuck. OW! But it really made me miss running, which is right out because of the pollen in the air right now. It's literally falling from the sky every day like snow, and I'm crazy allergic. If I try to run in this, I will have an asthma attack and now is really not the time to be playing with those kinds of things.

Instead, I bought a new Fitbit smart watch, and I'm going to try to get a decent number of miles in walking every day. Still not great, but I can do that with a mask on and not die, so you know, win. Because I'm me, I created a tracker for the 30-day challenge, and I've added steps, calories, and weight to it.

I hate strengthening exercises like planks and squats, but it's something that I can do for the most part at my desk, and I need to do something. I cannot gain more weight.

:cool:

Keep at it Meri.

Have you considered you might not be compatible with 'American' food?

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on April 19, 2020, 06:30:38 PM

Keep at it Meri.

Have you considered you might not be compatible with 'American' food?

More that I walked an average of 14,000 a day while I was there. :D

Brazen

Like many Brits I expect to come out of lockdown fitter than ever, making the most of my government-mandated exercise.  I've restarted C25K (on week 5), doing Zoom classes with my PT next-door neighbour and my wannabe PT friend, and I bought an indoor trampoline, which is a great fun workout when I can get the cat for it long enough.

Problem is at the moment I have a disproportionally ENORMOUS belly for the first time, to the extent I went for an ovarian cancer test, which was thankfully negative. Some combination of menopause, lockdown drinking and stress, no doubt.  Hope it's not being less menopausal than I thought and actually being pregnant instead, because that would be awks!  :blink:

mongers

Went out yesterday evening, mainly looking for useful shops to do late or post-rush shopping at.
Ended up doing about 20 mile around the local area on the bike, the most I've done during the lock-down, don't know I'm allowed to do any more?

I found a peach of a Tesco express 5 miles from here, in a large village with a big elderly population, so after 7pm the place was deserted. So if I need something in an emergency I cycle cross country to there and leave it as late as nearly 10 pm.

Iormlund

I've actually started doing exercise during lockdown, though cardio is a big problem. My flat is tiny and we can't go out. Hopefully we'll be able to bike in a few weeks.

Until then I'm using some ghetto TRX to work out muscle groups.

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on April 20, 2020, 09:49:40 AM
Like many Brits I expect to come out of lockdown fitter than ever, making the most of my government-mandated exercise.  I've restarted C25K (on week 5), doing Zoom classes with my PT next-door neighbour and my wannabe PT friend, and I bought an indoor trampoline, which is a great fun workout when I can get the cat for it long enough.

Problem is at the moment I have a disproportionally ENORMOUS belly for the first time, to the extent I went for an ovarian cancer test, which was thankfully negative. Some combination of menopause, lockdown drinking and stress, no doubt.  Hope it's not being less menopausal than I thought and actually being pregnant instead, because that would be awks!  :blink:

I vote stress. It's amazing how much that directly impacts your belly fat. At least, that's the excuse I'm using. :ph34r:

Malthus

I've been dieting since the lockdown started. I worried that if I didn't make a conscious effort, I'd end up eating snacks all day watching TV.

It's going well - I lost 18 pounds over the last five weeks. Hoping to do the same again.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2020, 02:44:48 PM
I've been dieting since the lockdown started. I worried that if I didn't make a conscious effort, I'd end up eating snacks all day watching TV.

It's going well - I lost 18 pounds over the last five weeks. Hoping to do the same again.

I found 15 of those, and you better take them back! :mad:

:P

Maladict

Quote from: Iormlund on April 20, 2020, 10:14:41 AM
I've actually started doing exercise during lockdown, though cardio is a big problem. My flat is tiny and we can't go out. Hopefully we'll be able to bike in a few weeks.

Until then I'm using some ghetto TRX to work out muscle groups.

My space is small as well, but I've been managing HITT type youtube videos.
It takes about as much space as you need to do burpees.

fromtia

I've found myself riding my bicycle more and more during corn teen and that's become a real treat. I've had stomach troubles (not too serious but miserable) that caused me to drop quite a bit of weight over the last 4 or 5 months, so riding more came fairly easily even though I haven't ridden much since doing the AIDS/Lifecycle in 2014 (amazing).

tapping out 2 and 3 hour rides and loving being out in the Florida boonies. It hasn't got too hot yet either, but it will shortly.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on May 01, 2020, 01:35:05 PM
I've found myself riding my bicycle more and more during corn teen and that's become a real treat. I've had stomach troubles (not too serious but miserable) that caused me to drop quite a bit of weight over the last 4 or 5 months, so riding more came fairly easily even though I haven't ridden much since doing the AIDS/Lifecycle in 2014 (amazing).

tapping out 2 and 3 hour rides and loving being out in the Florida boonies. It hasn't got too hot yet either, but it will shortly.

I should be doing more, but strictly abidding by the UK lockdown, one should go out for one exercise a day, and whilst no definitive time limit was set, the government minister did say an hour a day, so I'm going with that.  :(