News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Elections 2024

Started by Habbaku, December 13, 2019, 10:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I think they're choosing "power" over "conservatism", but otherwise I agree.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2019, 01:32:07 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 13, 2019, 12:58:34 PM
Oh, absolutely. Remember when Trump said he may not recognize Clinton if she won? The seeds of that line of thinking have been planted. Frum is right when we've says conservatives had to ask themselves if they loved conservatism or democracy more - and they are choosing democracy.

You mean they are choosing conservatism, I assume. And if so, I agree.

Yes. I have corrected the original message. Thank you.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Berkut

"Maybe you do not care much about the future of the Republican Party. You should. Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. The will reject democracy." - David Frum
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

I have followed Frum on Twitter for a while now.  He has a lot of interesting things to say, pretty much daily.

Berkut

While we are talking about Frum quotes, this one from Trumpocracy is just depressing as all hell. Especially for someone like me - a pragmatic moderate who believes in the ideals, however imperfect, of the American myth...(my emphasis)

Quote"The government of the United States seems to have made common cause with the planet's thugs, crooks, and dictators against its own ideals—and in fact to have imported the spirit of thuggery, crookedness, and dictatorship into the very core of the American state, into the most solemn symbolic oval center of its law and liberty. The man inside that oval center did not act alone. He held his power with the connivance of others. They executed his orders and empowered his whims for crass and cowardly reasons of their own: partisanship, ambition, greed for gain, eagerness for attention, ideological zeal, careerist conformity, or—in the worst cases—malicious glee in the wreck of things they could never have built themselves. They claim the symbols of the republic as they subvert its institutions. They pin the flag to their lapels before commencing the day's work of lying, obstructing, and corrupting. They speak for America to a world that remembers a different and better America. But that memory is already fading into a question of whether it was not perhaps always an illusion, whether this new regime of deceit and brutishness will not only form the future—but whether it also retrospectively discredits the American past"
― David Frum, Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American Republic
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Well America is certainly no longer a credible partner.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

The cover of a recent Economist made the same point.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on December 13, 2019, 11:57:01 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 13, 2019, 10:17:34 AM
With luck Trump might become senile, which would make him a better president in the third and fourth terms.

Henry VI was definitely a better king when he was in his drooling stupors.  :hmm:

So why isn't Trump a better president in his?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

He's still able to formulate commands.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Update: Huckabee says it was all a big joke! Just trolling! LOL CANT BELIEVE THE EXTREME LEFT AND SUSAN RICE BOUGHT MY JOKE! HAHA!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

April Fools! He got us there! :XD:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Lolz that trolling jokester Huckabee
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2019, 03:36:09 PM
Lolz that trolling jokester Huckabee

HA GOT EM THOSE LIBTARDS

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Pretty obvious this is testing the waters/conditioning the market.  Trump's MO from the start has been to push past boundaries and establish as tolerable behavior that had always been regarded as beyond the pale.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson